Northern Forest Canoe Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
I've heard of this last year I think, but this past weekend, I was able to go to a presentation and slide show of the two founders Ray Center and Kay Henry (who sold/left Mad River Canoe in ~1999 to pursue this)

Anyway, here's the obligatory website:

http://www.northernforestcanoetrail.org/index.html

Quite honestly, this kind of appeals to me more so than long distance hiking, like the AT or so... Something about the whole variety of this between lakes, rivers, slight whitewater (even the portages!), between the somewhat urban paddling to the remote wilderness... Seems like there is a little of everything and that's me.

Camping is set roughly 10-15 miles apart on the 740 mile trip and it hits a lot of big lakes out there, Champlain, Umbagog, Moosehead, as well as the many little ones in the ADKs and Western Maine.

Sounds very tempting, if one can get a sabbatical to do it.

They have I believe 13 tyvek maps out with 2 of the 13 due to be released shortly.

Any other paddlers out there a little "loon"y to consider something like this next year? Maybe then, my big mountain bug will have subsided and I'll get back to the water and the trails and stuff.

Jay

Jay H said:
the two founders Ray Center....
Sounds very tempting, if one can get a sabbatical to do it.

Any other paddlers out there a little "loon"y to consider something like this next year? Maybe then, my big mountain bug will have subsided and I'll get back to the water and the trails and stuff.

Jay
Wasn't the founder's name Ron Canter? He was most helpful to me with many detailed emails of prepublished route/carry information.

I did the entire NY section, and then some, last summer. Departed Boonville by foot and paddle with a Hornbeck canoe and landed on the eastern shore across Plattsburgh's Cumberland Bay on Lake Champlain exactly one week later...average 26 miles/day.
Lots of details... PM me with any specific questions.

Last edited:
I would love to kayak something like this..... just need the time! :)

On-topic? I hope so

This Trail caught the attention of some of us when we heard of it two years ago after nearly 20 years of annual three- or four- day canoe/kayak camping trips, confined to New England rivers (which offer wonderful miles to the south of this Trail, as many VFTT'rs probably know) for a decade until we expanded southwards to some fine rivers down the seaboard, esp. in Virginia.

The NFCT operative principle of recreating (as possible) Native American commerce-ways (by canoe) has worked well for us, on a smaller scale. We started 20 years ago on the Wampanoag Canoe Trail, which links the North River in Hanover/ Pembroke with Buzzards Bay. There are similar extended stretches throughout southern NE in particular - the AMC River Guides are a good place to start.

Current issue (March 2006) OF AMC Outdoors has an article about it.

Yah, if I had the time...

There's plenty of "hiking" to do along the canoe trail. There's more than 50 miles worth of portaging!

Hopefully those that attempt this trip have some strong paddling skills, as well as good judgment when conditions get rough on the larger lakes. Many of these lakes can get 3 feet swells in a heartbeat, especially after 10 am, when the winds start to crank up.

marty said:
Hopefully those that attempt this trip have some strong paddling skills, as well as good judgment when conditions get rough on the larger lakes. Many of these lakes can get 3 feet swells in a heartbeat, especially after 10 am, when the winds start to crank up.
That's why I made a lightweight spray cover for my Hornbeck canoe (see avatar), using coated nylon and snaps. It handled windy big lakes and standing waves in the lower Saranac River just great. Keeping near the shore and knowing how much you can handle, and what to do if disaster strikes is even more important. Luckily that never happened on my trip.

I picked up the copy of AMC Outdoors at the show (I'm not an AMC member). I believe I think it was Lake Champlain where Ray and Kay mentioned they crossed it between Dusk and Dawn to avoid the winds...I don't recall if it was Champlain or Moosehead or Umbagog, but they mentioned on one of the larger lake crossings, they did that to get across I think.

Anyway, put that on the idea-shelf for now. Ideally, a canoe is a better idea for this rather than a kayak and I don't own a canoe at this point.

Jay

I don't recall if it was Champlain or Moosehead or Umbagog, but they mentioned on one of the larger lake crossings, they did that to get across I think.

When the wind picks up,you can be paddling on what I refer to as the "Umbagog Ocean"

Been out there taking 2+' on the beam in the wind,but at least the water is warm as it smacks the side of your head!
It was never a problem,as I was in a kayak with a neoprene spray skirt,but when I did it once in a canoe(before I knew what kayaks were about) it scared the %#!* out of us!

I'm probably not the only NFCT member here. Kay Henry (I think it was) enlisted me after an inspiring slideshow in April. I've posted on a paddling (only) site and one other place my description of a three-day trip on the Allagash last Memorial Day weekend, which the NFCT map for that stetch (from Churchill Dam to Allagash Village) enhanced. I'll send a link to anyone interested in that.

Last edited:
I have maps 7-12 mostly NH thru most of Maine.
The maps are great with a nice written overview of the area that the map covers.
I think I'll be up on Moosehead Lake in the next couple of weeks and maybe a "GOG" or two here and there.

I'm going to try and see if I can find some signage along the way that indidcates that your part of the trail at different launching places or portages.
Mostly I'm looking to do the easier parts..ie with minimum portaging... in Maine the Richardson Lake (upper & lower) over to Mooselookmeguntic area would seem like enough water to keep one happy for years...looks like a long portage over to Rangely Lake if you wanted more.

Back the other direction over by Vt I would love and cross over into Quebec and paddle Lake Memphremagog...

spider solo said:
I have maps 7-12 mostly NH thru most of Maine.
The maps are great with a nice written overview of the area that the map covers.

Those are the ones I have (except 10) and I second your review.

spider solo said:
I'm going to try and see if I can find some signage along the way that indicates that your part of the trail at different launching places or portages.

There is an NFCT kiosk at Churchill Dam, where the Allagash River begins. I saw no other evidence of it on that fabled stretch, to the St. John River, but it would have been superfluous there, unlike the less traveled stretches. I've seen pictures of thier little symbol posted at portages.

Last edited:
Tramper Al (who I suspect still reads, though no longer posts here) has done quite a few sections of the NFCT. He would be a good resource for info.

Jay: I think a kayak is definitely well suited for many sections of this trek, but I defer to those who know more than I do. From what my Doctors tell me, kayaking :) is more in my future than hiking :( so I would be interested in doing some sections. I know of a good jump off spot in Maine for you (and Freddy) before you head out ;)

Richardson and Mooselookmeguntic are indeed fine stomping grounds for many days/weeks/months/years. The paddling/views/fishing are great and these 2 (arguably 3) lakes are much quieter than Rangeley. Putin/out out from South Arm or Oquossuc.

For Mooselookmeguntic camping:
Stephen Phillips Memorial Preserve Camping Area
Rangeley
Phone: (207) 864-2003

Services: Mooselookmeguntic, Rangeley Plantation On the shores of Mooselookmeguntic Lake with campsites on the beach and more sites on Students’ Island and four other islands where you canoe your gear over.

Last edited:
Hey Sherpa, I see TramperAl on P.net, on a lot of the NFCT threads too..

My mention about the canoe vrs kayak is more about the portage sections in NY, not points further north which I'm not that familiar with.

Of course, I'm more currently obsessed with the Maine Island Trail than the NFCT, but I am always doing beta for everything from bike touring to kayak touring to backpacking so I'm just a sponge for sucking in data.

I'm glad to hear that you can enjoy the water. When I picked up paddling last year, I just wondered why it took me so long to take up kayaking..(that is until I got the Visa bill on how much a 'glass kayak is and the needed gear!).

Anyway, I enjoy too many hobbies, I am always looking at biking to some remote place. I still have a dream of biking to Katahdin if Baxter SP ever changes their rules about biking to Roaring brook. :mad: But probably not in my lifetime. So many places to see, so little time, so little people that share my adverousness down here...

jay

Map 11

Just came back from a overnight up at Moosehead Lake.
(trip report : Moosehead Lake # 2)

that and more is covered in the Northern Forest Canoe Trail map 11 Moosehead/Penobscot Region:
Moosehead Lake to Umbazooksus Stream

I love the names up there !

Sherpa K...glad to see you've been out and about on the water. ...

"Perhaps we should say
....the...
Unstopable Sherpa K" !!