A VFTT Confluence on the A.T. in CT & MA

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
Reports from more substantial trips will be posted so I won't attempt that here, but by my count 11 VFTT'rs crossed paths at some point this weekend in northwest CT and southwest MA on and around the A.T. More if you count the associated hikes that occured before and after.

For my part: Me and my 2 boys and 2 of their friends that I take camping left the Undermountain Trailhead parking at 2:15 on Saturday. We hiked up and then crossed under Bear Mtn on Paradise Lane. We arrived in Sages Ravine at about 3:45 and got set-up. "Alligator Eggs" drifted down to us from two sites further up.

(Now you should refer back to at least 2 other trip reports that should be posted.)

The one person I will mention here is Lattinhill, who hiked in for an hour or so just to say hello because he knew a few of us would be there ! I almost did not recognize him without Maya, but it was good to see him.

It was about 30 degrees and the stars were bright Saturday night but we all had our winter gear and slept well. The camp was untouched by animal, poltergiest or Raggie. Breakfast, pack-up and we were on our way up Bear Mtn by about 8:30.
On the summit of Bear were more "Alligator Eggs !". We visited, shared some hummus, took pictures and all went our separate ways.

Me and the boys were back to the parking at 11 and home unpacking by noon. It was a great weekend to be out there, and especially fun to meet some members and visit with ones I've hiked with before. :)
Here's my pic's:

http://www.parazz.com/albums/chipdiane

Last edited:
Chip, nice condensed report... I'll have my pictures online by hopefully tueday night. No PC at home...

I can also say that we ran into some more VfTTrs on Saturday while FunkyFreddy and I hiked north from Sages Ravine campsite to do Race and Everett. We decided to stop at Everett rather than go to Jug's End cause we felt like visiting Race Brook falls which is a little under a mile off the A.T. along the trail of the same name. We ran into "Lovetohike" on Race on saturday morning and then into "satori" while coming back from the falls.

Fred and I got to Sage's Ravine "trailhead" around 5;30pm on a friday evening. I say "trailhead" because there is not much of a trailhead, parking for about 3 cars, a sign that says 'Scenic road' and a gate that says "park closes at sunset". Fred and I actually drove past into Sheffield MA before realizing that we past the trailhead and had to scout out the gate to see if it was private land or the access pt.

Then we started to hike up the ravine itself, following a light blue blaze that was covered by very haphazard flourescent orange paint on the south side of the ravine. Sooner (rather than later) the blazes puttered out and we were following a herd path up the brook. A couple of minor scrambling, and some fabulous scenery. We actually ran into an old dam with some 4" iron pipes on the north side of the ravine. It had a more modern black rubber piping next to it but it was simply detached. I'm assuming this could of been a reservoir for the farm down in the valley where 41 is, because on the way back to our car, we found the iron pipe runing all the way down into MA side of the border.

Anyway, on the way up, eventually we ran into the AT where the AT crosses Sage's brook. And a sign that said this was the border between CT and MA. That threw me off big time because all the maps I have show the junction of CT/MA and the AT is completely inside MA. Maybe their border dispute continues???? (more on this later).

Anyway, after some map checking, scratching of heads and looking at the trail signs there, we turn left although by the sign, turning left is in CT while I know the campsite is supposed to be in MA. However, freddy is familiar with the area having been there this winter. Anyway, get to Sage's Ravine successfully and there is only two people and a nice dog there. So we setup camp in #3 campsite for the night.

Cold night! Great stars, saw a shooting star. No bears, no Raggies, not even a smurf. But Fred and I stay up lake regalling about haunted trees and silly Sages stories til about 10:15pm.

saturday morning, I get up around 7:30am and fred and I hit the trail around 9am. The previous night I scouted a woods road north of our campsite which fred says that leads to the AT and is a short cut for those heading north and not wanting to drop down to the AT, cross the brook, and then recross it and then climb up. The woods road saves a short elevation drop and then reclimb so we meander on the trail.

We filter water when we get to Bear Brook falls while I check out the falls. FYI, the campsite at Bear Brook falls is closed for revegetation and the MA ATC setup a new campsite 500ft south called the Laurel Ridge campsite which is on the west side of the AT versus the east side.

Race mtn is beautiful and my favorite mtn of the day, ran into LovetoHike who was solo and headed south and had a nice chat right as you hit the open ridge with the views to the east and a glimpse of Greylock. Then we hit Everett after running into crowds of teens and a crowd of adults. Is lovetohike in for a surprise, we were the first hiker's he's seen all day and we were talking about how empty the trails were to this point... Anyway, we ate lunch just past the old firetower on Everett and returned with a sidetrip to Race Brook Falls, very nice, nice swimming spots I can see in the summer...

After filtering some more water at Bear Brook falls, we get back to the AT/Woods road intersection, where fred says we must do the short section back to the brook cause we skipped it in the morning... Fred, the AT hiker says...:)

OK, I don't care, I of course, mention that if you're a true AT hiker, you have to touch all the white blazes... :p

Anyway, back at camp, I first saw Chip and the mini-Chips (they could of all looked like twins if you ask me!!!:)) at camp and talked to them before heading up towards our camp. With another alligator eggs to somebody at tent#4, I confirmed Alpinista's arrival. Having never met before but being next to SherpaK on top of Rainier, that was our indirect connection. 5 days later... I mean 30 minutes later, Fred arrives and we kind of mingle eating dinner and regalling of tales about dreams and strange music and pranks... There was a group of about 20 teen hikers at the group site we pasted on Race that Fred showed constraint on and didn't don the bear costume and scream "bear bear bear..every teen for themselves!!!!!" at 3am in the morning. At least I slept through it...

Continued...

Last edited:
Part II

Sunday morning, another 7:30 awaken, another blue sky day. Chip heads off first with the mini-Chips while I mingle around waiting for Fred and Lisa (mainly fred, he's worse than most women in the morning!!!). So I take off towards Bear.

Get to the summit and voila' Alligator eggs about, except the point is moot cause I already know the 4 Riga leanto hikers and Chip and the Mini-Chips(tm). Meet Sli74, Brian, John S, and Nancy on top of the rock rook thing. Enjoy the views of twin lakes, the turkey buzzards all buzzing around, a random chipmunk. About 4 ice ages later, Fred and Alpinista show up and we spend more time taking pictures and stuff.

Did I say that I was abandoned at the summit, everybody left! Chip and the mini-Chips headed south back towards the undermt trail, while the 4 Riga-leantoers headed north to Jug's End.

Right before Fred and Alpinista showed up two guys show up thinking they're on Race.. I had to break the bad news for them that Race and Everett are there (pointing to the mtns) and that you're on Bear Mtn. Unfortunately, I don't have the guts like fred was to try to convince them that this is Greylock, but the thought passed my mind after they left. Anyway, I told them it's not that far and the day is long if they still want to go do Race but thought that was funny how folks can get discombobulated in the woods (bill bryson notwithstanding).

Anyway, after some pleading by fred and me (95% fred, 5% me, I don't plead very well) for Alpinista to join us for Frissell, Alpinista returns back towards camp and returning to be a witch in Salem, MA. I say I did not see a broomstick in her possession, so I must say it must be a titanium, Mountain Hardware, 3-piece model bought at the EMS club day.

Anyway, enough with trails, Fred and I simply plotted a course towards Frissell and bushwacked down through the mt. laurel and hit some awesome viewpoints on the west of Bear. Thick PITA kind of bushwacking in spots but nothing us Catskills Critters can't handle.

We literally bushwacked right to the AMC lodge before Mt Washington Road so it was a perfect line and we stopped by the lodge to think... This would be a nice place for a gathering... Anyway, we continue on and run into a bunch of folks starting to head towards Frissell.

Freak the Frissell is on! We run into a bunch of folks hiking to the top..

Black flies are starting to come out there, had to stop the lives of a few tiny ones who thought I was an inviting target. But we hit the summit and what do I see? A canister!!! So Fred and I sign in... Then we continue onto the high pt in CT... Which is this short iron rod stuck into the ground just off the trail. Woopee! Yeah, Another one bites the dust... Pictures taken, lunch is eating while looking at Brace and South Brace..

Brace seems to have a huge Cairn with some kind of flagpole stuck in it, no? Riga Lake can be seen to the left of South Brace... Hope my dead reckoning is correct???

Anyway, knowing the state tripoint is further on, we drop down about 100ft (ugh, should of dropped pack!) and hit the tri state marker. Seeing that CONN was shaved off, I read online that it was some kind of border dispute between CT and MA... But anyway, I didn't see the border patrol!

Returning was uneventful, although on the way back, we took the trail from the AMC property back around Bear and towards our campsite.

Packing up, we bushwack back down but this time we didn't follow the ravine directly, we followed the same woods road til it met the AT and then when the AT heads left, we followed the same road. Unfortunately, this same road starts to head north too, like the AT, so we just bushwacked down past a nice hemlock grove towards Rt 41. We actually run into the same 4" iron pipe that I presume heads towards the old dam/reservoir we ran into coming up. We are on the north side of the ravine this time and of course, we eventually run into the CT/MA border again and the marked trail that leads to some place called "options learning and training center". Anyway, back to 41 and a short walk across the ravine to my car.

{edit} Here it where we bushwacked to on our return to the car. Options institue of Sheffield, MA:

http://www.option.org/history.html

Drive by Undermtn Trailhead around 4:30pm and think we still see the others there who are still out hiking(?) but we continue on back towards Jersey... I'm still just reeling in Rt 44 and recognizing all the landmarks there on this nice stretch of Dutchess Cty, having biked back from Great Barrington, down on Rt 41 to Salisbury and then on the Harlem Valley Rail trail between Millerton and Amenia, before hitting 44West again. We got off at the Shunpike to head north towards Hyde Park rather than Poughkeepsie so we could visit Vanderbilt Mansion and FDR's Sunnyside. What memories! Anyway, what a great weekend and a fun trip! Thanks to everybody for being there, and great to run into ya on Bear. Seems like MA is the place to have impromptu VfTT gatherings, much like Greylock was on April 2nd!!

Pictures to come once I get access to a PC!

Jay

Last edited:
It was great to finally meet so many VFTTers whom I'd only gotten to know through their posts online _ and to get to hang out with others I hadn't seen in quite awhile! Hope our paths cross again soon!

alpinista said:
It was great to finally meet so many VFTTers whom I'd only gotten to know through their posts online _ and to get to hang out with others I hadn't seen in quite awhile! Hope our paths cross again soon!
Was that your "Quark" in the Undermountain parking ? Is that what it said ?
I parked right next to you if it was. Good meeting you, sorry I didn't have more time to visit. 4 boys in the woods takes some "management".

Chip said:
Was that your "Quark" in the Undermountain parking ? Is that what it said ?
I parked right next to you if it was. Good meeting you, sorry I didn't have more time to visit. 4 boys in the woods takes some "management".

Close, Chip. It says "QUIRK" under the VW symbol. It's the name of the dealership where I got it.

No worries on short visit time. I'm sure we all understand what a handful four boys are!

It was a terrific weekend in perfect weather and fun running into friends out there. Nice meeting you and the boys, Chip. They’re a good bunch of kids and really seemed to be enjoying themselves.

Jay, you made a good move trading Jug End for Race Brook Falls. Though there are some nice viewpoints, the last few miles were a bit tedious with lots of puds and hard rock. Our group also wondered where the CT/MA border was. The maps show it to be south of Paradise Lane, putting all of the brook and campsites in MA. Could it be that the ‘Welcome to the Connecticut Section’ sign at the brook crossing refers not to the State but to the unit of the AMC which maintains the campsites and trail south of that point?

Our group divided the weekend in a somewhat unusual manner – 3.5 miles on Saturday and 13.5 miles on Sunday. This was an AT section hike for Seema starting at CT 41 in Salisbury but one of the goals was to stay at Riga Shelter, which was just a few miles up the trail. This shelter sits at the edge of the ridge with easterly views across Twin Lakes and the Housatonic Valley and offers a sunrise over the broad Litchfield Hills horizon. So, we had a lazy Saturday capped with a fine Indian meal - thanks, Seema. After bearbagging (Brian’s bagging always looks so much more secure), we enjoyed a clear night sky before crawling into our bags.

Sunday morning, Seema got her sunrise. Having different priorities, I gave it a single eyeball and rolled over for a few more minutes in the comfort of my cocoon. I brought my 35-degree summer bag and was pleased that it kept me warm a few degrees below its rating with no more add-ons beyond a fleece pullover.

We were on the trail about 7:30 heading for a 9:00 gathering on Bear Mtn. It was another incredible blue-sky day. The summit was empty when we arrived but soon Chip and the boys showed up followed by Jay. We later met Freddie and Lisa on our way down the north side of Bear on our way to Sages Ravine. The Ravine was as scenic as ever. I noticed Brian checking out every swimming hole along the way and the temptation finally proved too much. When we stopped at the crossing, off came the boots and shirt and in he went. I don’t know how he managed to maintain a smile the whole time in such cold water.

Climbing out of the Ravine, Nancy and met a couple with two of the most well behaved dogs either of us had ever seen. I think they were Golden Retrievers. At all times both dogs stayed between the couple. When the couple stepped off a narrow section of trail to let Nancy pass, the dogs also stepped off trail, got between them, sat down and didn’t budge. They were as friendly, curious and energetic as any dog but always aware of where the couple was and where they were supposed to be.

The climbs up and down Race and Everett were steep and rugged in spots but not too difficult because they are fairly short. The views were terrific, especially the long stretch of open trail along the edge of the ridge on Race. The sun, however, was quite intense and breezes were most welcome.

The last few miles to Jug End Road were a lot more tiring than I expected. I’d been through there before but from the opposite direction and with fresh legs. The last few miles seemed to drag on forever with the trail going out its way to find every last micro-peak and hard slab of rock. I actually welcomed the final steep and rugged descent to the road because I knew my car was at the bottom.

Overall, it was a fine weekend in a wonderful spot.

Sounds like a great time had by all. I am sorry I missed it. Also glad there were no hauntings and everyone made it out ok without being possessed.

John S said:
I noticed Brian checking out every swimming hole along the way and the temptation finally proved too much. When we stopped at the crossing, off came the boots and shirt and in he went. I don’t know how he managed to maintain a smile the whole time in such cold water.
:eek: Good for him ! There is at least one full-blown, cliff jumpable water-fall pool a bit further down stream, off the trail, that would have tempted him and it is ice-cold even in the warm weather !
Great to me you, Nancy, Brain and Seema. Thanks for the hospitality on Bear !

This hike was a homecoming of sorts for me. When I first got into hiking, it was along these very same trails. I grew up in CT and was living there in the Nutcase ...whoops, Nutmeg ... State when I started to explore the woods.

It had been probably 8 years since I'd last been here (aside from the trip in January with FunkyFreddy and Lattinhill, which I don't count because it was from a different starting point). To make it a true homecoming, I even stopped at a gear shop along the way on Route 44 in Canton _ Country Sports. It was where I bought my first tent, my current sleeping bag, and had become friendly with the owners (Greg and Trish, a great couple! very nice and helpful and cool), and started to get hooked. It was great to see them both again, to hear about the changes along Route 44 (an old golf course across the street is now a huge shopping mall. Sad to see all the traffic, but a boon to the business). To top it off and to show my appreciation for their inspiration all those years ago, I bought a few items _ none essential, but well worth it in my book.

As I approached the Undermountain Trailhead, off Route 41 in Salisbury, I wondered how I would feel about those sections of the trail that way back when seemed so incredibly tough. The sun was glowing, the temps were moderate (in the 60s) and I was thrilled to be back at this spot.

All along the way, I was wondering ... "now, where exactly is that steep part???" Sure, there were some uphill sections. And yeah, it was tough getting used to a heavy pack again. But I didn't encounter anything that threw me for a loop. Guess all these years of peakbagging have helped!

It's a beautiful walk in the woods here. I can't help but think of our country's forefathers, how life must've been centuries ago in these woods, the battles that were waged to fight for American Independence. Must be all the remnants of stone walls _ or maybe it was those ghosts FunkyFreddy promised!

At one point, I stopped in my tracks and gazed at this funky tree and was reminded how I used to love seeing it _ that it reminded me of something out of the southwest. A private grin spread across my face and I allowed the memory to wash over me. I was back home. The sun glistened through the trees and you could hear some amazing sounds: chainsaws off in the distance, small planes buzzing overhead, a woodpecker tapping away.

Not before too long, I was at the Paradise Lane trail. The memories flooded in again. I am pretty sure it was on this very trail where I saw, for the first time, someone carrying crampons. It was a winter hike (natch), and a guy sped past me on his way to Bear Mountain. That day, I made it as far as the ledges, coated in bulging ice and retreated (wisely) since I didn't own that kind of gear. But seeing that man, without exchanging a single word, I started to learn a few things about hiking in different weather and it sparked a curiosity.

This time, no winter gear required! I passed the Paradise Lane group camping site and didn't see a single soul. Then, I was at the intersection with the AT and saw the giant sign
marking the turnoff. From here, it dips sharply into the ravine.

At the river crossing, there were at least a dozen kids hanging out before heading farther down the way for the night. I was getting pooped by this point, and huffed and puffed my way up the last hill, past the caretaker's platform and to the tentsites. I saw a small MSR tent at one site, and a larger light blue tent on another platform. Not knowing which one might be Jay's and Fred's, I hung out on platform #4 and waited for the two of them to show up.

I pulled out my new gear purchase _ a Mountain Hardwear sleeping pad that folds up into a chair _ and hung out for a while, listening to my iPod. Next thing I know, Lattinhill arrives. We had a nice, pleasant conversation but alas, he wasn't planning to spend the night, so it was time to take off.

I figured I'd use the lull to set up my tent. Then, I figured ... why not a nap?! Heck, I had a long week, and I deserve a break! :D

Then, I hear "alligator eggs!" It was the start of a nice weekend _ as Jay, FunkyFreddy, and then Chip and the mini-chips (complete with chocolate chip cookies, no less!) show up. We had a nice time gabbing, getting to know one another and hanging out. But as soon as the sun started to go down, it got mighty chilly! So I packed it in, bid good night to the crew, and settled in for the evening.

In the morning, Chip and Jay were the speedsters _ getting up early and out, while FunkyFreddy and I were a bit more pokey. But, hey, it was before noon, so I think that counts for something! ;-)

I decided to leave most of my gear at Sages and do the luxurious thing of just taking the top of my backpack as a fanny pack to hit Bear Mountain. It's steep to the peak, with some really cool ledges but no real fine views until the top. Just below the summit, we ran into the other VFTT gang in these part of the woods _ JohnS, Nancy, Seema and Brian _ gabbed a bit and took some photos, until we were reminded that an antsy Jay was awaiting our arrival.

On top, it was sun all around, and we spotted Jay in the middle of the summit structure. No one else was there! More photos were to be had, more directions for the hopelessly lost and bit more gabbing before Jay and Fred went on toward Frissell, and I opted to head back.

On the way down, I ran into another VFTTer _ Sartori _ who didn't say "alligator eggs" but did ask if I were a member of views. Nice seeing ya!

I packed up my gear, having a minor incident (don't worry, Mohamed, no need to mention it in the accidents section of Appalachia) when my tent pole snapped back and clipped my middle finger, sending blood spirting everywhere. After surviving giving myself first aid ;-), I headed back down the trail _ and kinda wished I'd packed up everything from the get-go and slogged it up to Bear.

By the time I'd gotten back to my car, I was tired and dreading the three-hour drive home. But with the weather so fine, I was able to go topless ! ;) :eek: :D

More pix can be seen here

What a weekend to be out there hiking. It was great to meet some VFFTers, finally. Had a nice chat with Jay and Fred at the south end of the ridge on Race. Had a very peaceful day of hiking to that point, up Race Brook, Everett and Race. After leaving Jay and Fred I dropped down to Bear Rock Falls. Question: Although I've passed by the vicinity of the falls on the AT countless times, I never actually walked around to actually get a view of them. I tried that this time, but everything got very steep and hairy righ around where the stream just pitched over the edge of the mountain. Looked very steep all around and too much of a project to hike around at that point for me. Anyone know the best way to get a decent view of this fall?

This was my turnaround point and I headed back up Race. Now started to pass more and more groups. As usual the mornings are the time to be out in these mts. if you want some peace. But I did have a chance to lie down on my favorite rock slab at the North end of the ridge on Race overlooking Twin Lakes and the wide views to the east. Then I reluctanly headed down and dropped down the Race Brook Trail just before I was about to be overtaken by a very noisy group of kids that I heard coming towards me for some time. Whew! The falls are running very well right now, a nice spot!

Sorry my plans didn't allow me to do my day hike on Sunday when I could have met even more VFFTers. It's not often that there's such a concentration in my favorite local stomping ground. But I was glad I mentioned VFFT to Jay and Fred and got to meet them.

Sounds like everyone had lots of fun this weekend as I certainly did.

alpinista said:
This hike was a homecoming of sorts for me...A private grin spread across my face and I allowed the memory to wash over me. I was back home.
Ha ! You can take the kid out of the Nutcase, but you can't take the Nutcase out of the Kid ! Great report, thanks.

Lovetohike, Fred and I were wondering when you were going to run into the big group of teens coming your way. We ran into them not long after we departed company. I asked the leader where they were headed and she said "Sages Ravine Campsite" :eek: But they looked like a fine bunch and I ran into them at the campsite when I returned. :)

As far as Bear Rock Falls, well first I scrambled to the fine viewpoint on the north side of the falls but there is no easy way down that way. However, if you have the time, the south part of the falls may allow for a slow and careful downclimb to the base of the falls. It was hard to see through the trees now that the leaves are blooming though as I did climb down a short bit on the south side but never got a really good viewpoint.

Another option would be to 'whack from the Rt 41, straight up the Bear Rock creek til you get to the falls from the bottom.

You'd have to find a way around the private houses down there or get permission to park and/or cross land, but it looks quite doable and nice.

Alpinista: Nice pictures... Lot of funky trees on top of Bear! There was a ton of mt laurel on the way down from Bear when we were bushwacking... Not as open as the catskills but given the lower elevation, not surprised at seeing the mt laurel. I live at about 800ft ASL and the park behind my house is full of them!

Jay

Jay