Self Heating Coffee?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slamdog

Reaction score
A coworker just stopped into my office with a 9.5 oz can of Hillside Coffee made by OnTech. He knows I spend a lot of time outdoors, and that I love my coffee. He gave me this can of coffee which was hot. Not just warm, but hot. I didn't read the can completely but you pull a couple of tabs (I believe) and it starts to heat the coffee. Seems like the same priniciple as the instant handwarmers which many carry. I'm just thinking that a hot cup of coffee on a summit without carrying a thermos might be nice. Anyone tried these out? Slam

Interesting!

The 3rd link says this:

"With its heavy plastic lid and metal pop-top opening, the can wasn't pleasant to drink from. And it is heavy. Although each can holds 10 ounces of coffee, the technology brings the total weight to 1 pound 2 ounces - too hefty, a staff writer said, to throw in her bag."

So there are 8 ounces of packaging you still have to carry up and down the mountain.

I have a thermos that holds 25 oz of liquid and weighs about 22 oz. So while it is more expensive, (and a throw away technology), this system is lighter per ounce of liquid carried than my current thermos. And if it works as advertised, the coffee is 'guaranteed' to be hot. I guess a real world test might be called for to see which is really hotter at the summit, at 0 degrees, after a 5 hour hike! :D

Edit: I see the minimum order is about $35.00 before shipping, but they do have lots of choices, including tea.

Last edited:
I bought several at my local grocery store (Hanneford's). I think they were about $3 each. They work as advertised although the heating process took longer than I anticipated. They were sweeter than I usually take my coffee. My problem with them is the amount of packaging--none of it recyclable. I won't buy many of them but I do take one in the car in the winter when I go on a long trip. Probably will not use them for hikes.

Pat T

I tried the "Wolfgang Puck" version on the road a couple of months ago. While it did produce hot coffee, I was not impressed with the taste; then again, I am admittedly a coffee snob. :cool:

In a pinch, Starbucks Doubleshots are still my preferred method of coffee fix.

:D