Wetmore Gap on Long Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

askus3

Reaction score
Warwick, NY ( 3 miles by crow from Wildcat Shelter
Does anyone know anything about how to approach Wetmore Gap from the east? I want to divide the section from VT 73 & US 4 into two relatively equal dayhikes. I see no access from the east mentioned in the Long Trail guide (only the New Boston Trail from the west). However, looking at the DeLorme atlas, I see Trail #97 coming up from the community of Michigan. What kind of trail is this? Can I use it in the summer (this is when I will be tackling this section of the LT)? What is the parking availability for 3 cars in Michigan? Can I park there legally? If this is not recommended is there any other route that I could utilize to approach the LT in the middle of this section from the east. I also see a conceivable route from the end of Tozier Hill Road along the north bank of Townsend Brook to the LT above North Pond. If I was hiking southbound what would I look for to make a left onto this route? Is it feasible to shorten this access by driving to the end of Townsend Brook Road and then ford Townsend Brook. Another possibility is Green Road and is Green Road in the LT Guide the same as South Pond Road in the DeLorme atlas? If there are any locals from Pittsfield/Stockbridge, VT out there with specific knowledge of this area please get back to me.

I grew up in Pittsfield. The area known as Michigan refers to an area now - was a logging camp/mine for a time, but the little settlement hasn't existed in 100 years or more. From the Pittsfield side there's a semi-circular road which begins at the north end of the village by the store, goes do west about a mile before turning south and then east. It ends at the southern end of the village, and is known locally as "the flat iron". To the best of my knowledge, there are no roads which cross this section of the Green Mountains east/west for several miles.

I'd suggest contacting Andy (MtDrew), who now lives in Pittsfield. I've done the sections of the Long Trail you describe, but he can give you more uptodate access info.

If I were doing the section with at least one other car over 2 or possibly 3 days I'd drop one car on US4 across from the Long Trail Lodge, and start at Brandon Gap on the north. Or could do it in the opposite direction. But, the trail gets easier as you go south, so it could be argued that's the direction to go.

Last edited:
You can get the GMNF map to see what is public land but I see no problem in parking near Michigan even if it's private.

I climbed Farr-Bloodroot-Carmel from Mivhigan many years ago, the Wetmore Gap Trail shown on the topo is long gone but at that time there was a snowmobile trail that crossed through Bloodroot Gap, check the VAST map or local snowmobile club to see if it's still open.

There is also a snowmobile trail crossing the LT at the col by North Pond that presumably leads to Tozier Hill Rd. to the E and the New Boston Trail to the W. I hear that the road to the New Boston Trail was rough last summer but why aren't you using that as your break point? Unless your trip requires consecutive order, you could hike from New Boston one day, leave the car there overnight and hike to it the 2nd day so only one car makes the in-and-out once.

My plan is to stay in Stockbridge, VT as my base for three dayhikes on the LT from Middlbury Gap to US 4 and three dayhikes on the AT from West Hartford to Maine Junction (US 4), thus I want access from the east side so the New Boston Trail from the west would create two extremely long car shuttles for two hikes on the LT.

FWIW, the segment from Long Trail Junction to Brandon Gap is one of the easiest stretches of LT. Going northbound from David Logan to Rt 73 it's easy, rolling, cruising trail on a slight downhill grade. I've hiked with you before, askus3, and I know you can do it! If you have a particularly strong group, you may consider this (a 20 mile day) as a viable option.

the New Boston Trail from the west would create two extremely long car shuttles for two hikes on the LT.
As I said before, if you're willing to leave one car overnight in New Boston there will be little extra driving the day you start hiking there, more the day you hike to it and drive out. Besides, you need the New Boston Trail for your side-to-side patch :)

There is an annual race in the area called the Pittsfield Peaks Ultramarathon or somesuch that loops around through the area and some of the trails might help with access if they were cleared before your hike. Last year the course was more like the Pittsfield Passes as the Forest Service wouldn't let them go to any summits but that's probably more useful for you anyway. Somebody at peakraces.com might be able to help you.

Note that the Long Trail skips all the summits too, so if you want to join the 3k club you need several hours extra time for those.