Rain All Weekend

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainman19

Reaction score
If you are going in for two nights with a high chance of steady rain all weekend, no views, slipper rocks, where do you go?:(

If you are going in for two nights with a high chance of steady rain all weekend, no views, slipper rocks, where do you go?:(
Actually to be serious I will take those chances to visit waterfalls that should have good flow or visit "viewless" trailed peaks. I say trailed because solo bushwhacking in the rain gets old fast and you'll be solo because everyone else has figured out how to read the weather reports.

The peaks that have no views even when the weather is good. I used a rainy day a few years ago to grab Zealand. Waumbek would be another good one, and shorter.

I defer to a waterfall if I just HAVE to be on the trails. Saturday might have a brief period of tolerable weather so maybe you can get a small hike with a low, but prominent viewpoint. While the forecast looks very bleak, there will definitely be breaks in the rain, and with a little luck, breaks in the clouds.

grouseking

edit: and if it rains, then go shopping in North Conway. :-D

Last edited:
It is what it is...I need your help.

The food is packed. I am going up stairs to pack the gear. I need your help. The weather is what it is. I am going on this trip. I need a quick and serious response to this question:

If you had to find a shelter to set up base camp for two nights with goal of hitting two 4000 footers without views...is it doable in the whites and if yes, where?

Thank you

Headed to the Allagash on Sat, here's hoping that the "USA Today" is wrong with rain thorough Tue. Could be a tough crossing of the lakes, but the river is a bit low so everything is not all bad.

Sweeper

Rainman19-"I need a quick and serious response to this question:"
The quick and serious answer is actually a question: why do you feel driven to try to get 2 4000 footers in a steady rain?

Camp on Tripoli Rd, and hit Tecumseh one day and Osceola the next. They are close together, and would fit the bill, though Osceola has rocks and views. But at least you are near your car at all times if the weather really makes a bad turn. I would avoid camping at a high elevation this weekend. Its gonna be really raw.

If you have a map, check it out. Other possibilities are, Garfield and Galehead, or the Hancocks. All of those require stream crossings though...so it might be iffy.

Ride a bike

Ride Sunday River to Belfast Maine Fri, Sat, Sun. Camping 2 nites.

Spandex keeps you warm! :D

Many days of soaking rain softens up the spruce making for a kinder gentler bushwhack :rolleyes: Seriouisly if you going to bash through matchstick growth, it is better when wet. :eek: I wouldn't use that as a justification to go do a bushwhack in the rain, but it has come to mind many times as...a rationalization.

The current forecast holds out some hope for a dry weekend the father north you go. With a coastal low, generally heading northwest of the bulk of the white mountains is your best shot as the mountains tend to form a barrier to the weather from the coast. I have hiked Waumbek and Cabot in partially sunny conditions over the years when the rest of the whites were wet and stormy. Unfortunately neither Cabot or Waumbek have a shelter you can base camp from. If you dont mind a hostel, you could basecamp out of the oen at White Birches in Shelburne or the Barn in Gorham or Hiker Paradise.

If you are into the NH 100 highest, there are a couple of weekends worth of them up in Nash stream that would be even further north of the weather.

The peaks that have no views even when the weather is good. I used a rainy day a few years ago to grab Zealand. Waumbek would be another good one, and shorter.

Hey now, Waumbek has views!

Seriously, if your driven to hike in crappy conditions do Willey, Field and Tom- no stream crossings and not overly demanding trails, do an out and back maybe? Camp over at Zealand, I assume your driving?

I checked accuweather, and Sunday might be a decent day.

Plus you can clean up at the Ritz Highland Center, and annoy the rich folk and AMC!! :)

Last edited: