Monadnock (VT) and Prospcet Hill 9-10-10

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
We started around 10:00 AM at the gravel bank. We exited to the left and followed a small path and a few old signs into the woods. From here, the trail was pretty well maintained. The hike up is about 2100' in 2.4 miles. Fairly steep, but it did not seem terrible. Easy stream crossings, with a tilted bridge over one of them. Took about 1:50 to ascend. Socked in at the top. Fire tower is in good shape, but no windows. A few idiots have had fires up here, (private property but public access allowed), and there is a lot of glass everywhere. The remains of the old cabin are very close by and were kind of cool to explore. Back down in about 1:05.

We then went to Prospect Hill near Orleans, VT. You can drive right to the tower. It's a very short tower, but it has amazing views!

Now we only have 3 left to finish the VT fire towers.

Last edited:
Such a shame that there is glass at the top, I hate seeing things like that. Still, sounds like a nice day trip. I'm going to get up there next time I'm in that area. I've seen the mtn before, and I've wondered what its like.

grouseking

We started around 10:00 AM at the gravel bank. We exited to the left and followed a small path and a few old signs into the woods. From here, the trail was pretty well maintained. The hike up is about 2100' in 2.4 miles. Fairly steep, but it did not seem terrible. Easy stream crossings, with a tilted bridge over one of them. Took about 1:50 to ascend. Socked in at the top. Fire tower is in good shape, but no windows. A few idiots have had fires up here, (private property but public access allowed), and there is a lot of glass everywhere. The remains of the old cabin are very close by and were kind of cool to explore. Back down in about 1:05.

We then went to Prospect Hill near Orleans, VT. You can drive right to the fire tower. It's a very short fire tower, but it has amazing views!

Now we only have Glastonbury left to finish the VT fire towers!

It was awhile ago ,but I think remnants of a fire tower were up on Mt Carmel.Does your list include pks with remnants and current towers?

Mark and Roy,

My list is in the book '360 Degrees: A Guide to Vermont's Fire and Observation Towers (Green Mountain Club Hiking Trails Series)'.

Amazon Link

As the title implies, some of the towers in this book are not fire towers.

Here is another VT Fire Tower reference. Mt. Carmel appears in there as 'no longer standing'.

I edited my original post to correctly describe Prospect.

Speaking of the views, what is this? Or these? They are South of Orleans, VT.

vtpeaks.jpg

Speaking of the views, what is this? Or these? They are South of Orleans, VT.

vtpeaks.jpg

Pisgah and Hor, surrounding Lake Willoughby. They're quite recognizable from many places in the Whites, too (Moosilauke, Franconia Ridge, Garfield, Cannon).