Wristwear?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prino

Reaction score
I have just finished reading all the great info on Digital Cameras and thought another post like that on watches (Altimeter...heart rate etc.) would be nice.
I'm in the market for one but there is so much to choose from. :confused: Something under $200 would be good for me although I know they go a lot higher.

Thanks
-Phil

Last edited:
I'm thinking about getting a Garmin Forerunner 101. At a suggested retail price of $114.00 it may be the way to go. Its wrist worn although it looks a little bulky. Some features taken from the garmin website:

GPS sensor provides precise latitude, longitude, and altitude data for exact location information.
Mark specific locations, and then look-up and navigate to these points using an electronic map.
Retrace your steps to a starting point or reverse your normal route for routine variation.
Amount of calories burned can be tracked and calculated over the course of a workout.
Automatically records up to 5000 laps by day or week; stores approximately two years of data
Performance data can be automatically archived and calculated to provide an accurate record.
Automated stopwatch provides AutoLap™ and AutoPause™ features.
Lap timer indicates when a certain speed is reached or when you've fallen below a pre-set level.
Pace whistle sounds alert when you begin traveling slower or faster than your desired pace.
Distance whistle sounds when you reach a specified duration or distance in your workout.

I got a forerunner 201 as a gift---same as 101 but with non-user replaceable battery and PC interface.

For hiking, I have found it to be useless when worn on the wrist. There are always issues with the GPS signals being blocked mountains, but wearing this unit on your wrist makes this problem 10 times worse. I carried a regular handheld unit with me in a case on the side of my pack on a recent hike. It never lost signal, but the 201 never got signal.

For biking however, even on the wrist, its great. The virtual partner feature keeps your workout honest, but you can get the same feature with an averaging speedometer and a known route.

thanks for the info Remix....maybe I'll look into one of the garmin etrex hand helds.....so many gadgets....so little money..... :(

hilldog said:
thanks for the info Remix....maybe I'll look into one of the garmin etrex hand helds.....so many gadgets....so little money..... :(

I use the Garmin Geko 201. I love using it. I love knowing how far it is to my next stop, i love all the stats that come along with it. It doesn't have the mapping functionality in it, but I always carry a topo map and compass with me anyways. In the ADK's losing signal is easy ( I seem to hike when it is overcast a lot) but I get it back when I'm stopped. It can tell elevation when locked into 4 sattelites and it is very close to being dead on. Very lightweight too.

The compass works only when moving, the 301 has a built in altimiter and compass that works when stopped, but it is a lot more cash. Since I carry a compass with me at all times anyways I didn't think it was worth it.

The PC interface is great. I plot all my points on my computer before I leave. And I upload my trip when I get back. Newer versions will probably have a USB interface that would be better, my laptop doesn't have a serial port.

It has saved me once while being on top of Seward in the dark with fog rolling in.

-Shayne

I use and older Casio model (Pathfinder), which has served well. It doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles (no computer interface, no pulse monitor but I can generally tell when I'm in the target zone without a monitor), and the replaceable battery is generally good for two years. Most important features to me are the altimeter and compass bearings. The altimeter works well although I do reset it at a known point or two on each hike, more if the weather is changing. I also like the cumulative altimeter feature so you can measure the whole year's climb! There is a backlight. The one thing I recommend with these gizmos is actually trying it on your wrist before you buy an expensive one. The placement of the buttons that reset functions on the side of some watch faces is awkward, and you can inadvertantly change settings by flexing your wrist. You can wear the band higher on your arm but in the summer the sweat invariably makes the watch slide down to your wrist.

Phil, a couple of points I can add to the mix.
I have a Timex Helix that I’ve used for 2 years now. You can get the model without compass for about a hundred bucks I think and it is pretty good as an altimeter. It probably isn’t as accurate as GPS but I don’t really care if I’m within .02 feet or whatever. It is a great tool to let you know “how much farther to the top?” or “I think that trail intersection must be just past this last scramble.” The battery lasts me about 6 months and I wore it continuously as a large wristwatch. It always makes me just a little bit more aware of my location on the planet. One bad thing is that the large knob on the side can be accidently pushed during normal activity, turning on the nightglow feature and using the battery more.
My brother has the Forerunner mentioned above and uses it mostly for a speedometer for his canoe training with a bow mounted bracket. It is the only way you can track or compare your speed while training/racing on twisty streams. It is very useful for that and for tracking our mt bike rides. The calorie thing is only really accurate for running. It is off by a lot while paddling. I have seriously considered the 101 for my trail running and XC ski training on our local trails. You can do a loop, then at a later time do the same loop and compare the split points as you go. It’s a great taskmaster.

Mine is the Casio Pathfinder Module 1470 Triple Sensor Altimeter Watch. It's at least five years old. I think Casio calls the Pathfinder series "Protrek" now.
You might find the 1470 in an online auction house, or you could google to see what the new equivalent is.

LOL...I had one of those snap watches for a few hours...so I was really glad I didn't pay too much for it! :D

I have a Timex Helix which I no longer use. If you like fiddling with gadgets it's great...though I was disappointed to discover that in temps below minus 5 degrees, the display just says LOW. I also thought I should be able to wear it on my wrist (since it's a watch) but that messes with some of the readings.

I also have a Timex Helix that I was very disssatisfied with. Even when I set the altimeter at the trailhead, it is way, way off (I'm talking thousands of feet) by the time I reach the summit. It happens everytime I use it... not just occaisionally. In addition, the temperature gauge doesn't work right... I think it gets messed up by my body temperature. I wouldn't recommend purchasing one of these... it was a lot of money for something that is only accurate when telling time.

I now use a snap watch... (and lost one along the Ethan Pond Trail so if you can find it, you can have one for free,) which is much lighter and cheaper for time telling.

- Ivy

Suunto Altimax for me. I've had it for about 6-7 years now and have been very happy with it. The watch face has been described in publications as having a "Mr Magoo" appearance because it is so large. So if you don't mind the size, which I don't, I would recommend the Altimax.

I hike frequently with a friend who has a Casio altimeter(not sure the model) and my Altimax seems to react more quickly to elevation changes. His Casio will "catch up" in a little while though.

I bought a relatively inexpensive altimeter watch from REI (Alta ~$80.) a couple years ago and it has performed very well (well, except when I some how had it set to meters instead of feet for one trip :eek: ). I only wanted time, stop watch and altimeter to keep it simple. I've fiddled with compass and barometer type 'wristwear' and have not been pleased.

Waumbek said:
I use and older Casio model (Pathfinder), which has served well. It doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles (no computer interface, no pulse monitor but I can generally tell when I'm in the target zone without a monitor), and the replaceable battery is generally good for two years. Most important features to me are the altimeter and compass bearings. The altimeter works well although I do reset it at a known point or two on each hike, more if the weather is changing. I also like the cumulative altimeter feature so you can measure the whole year's climb! There is a backlight. The one thing I recommend with these gizmos is actually trying it on your wrist before you buy an expensive one. The placement of the buttons that reset functions on the side of some watch faces is awkward, and you can inadvertantly change settings by flexing your wrist. You can wear the band higher on your arm but in the summer the sweat invariably makes the watch slide down to your wrist.

I have the same style of watch, sans the compass. I agree about the altimeter, it's relatively accurate in most cases, but does require calibration. Many altimeters get their readings from calculations based on the barometric pressure. The lower the pressure reading, the higher the elevation. The drawback is that as storms or other weather systems move in and out, it will affect the altimeter reading, sometimes dramatically. Even still, I've found that calibrating the altimeter a few times during the day by determining exactly where I'm at on a topo usually does the trick, and is more accurate than the alitmeter reading from my GPS (which doesn't use a barometric gauge). It's a handy thing to have when determing how much further you have to go to reach a summit.

Timex Helix

poison ivy said:
I also have a Timex Helix that I was very disssatisfied with. Even when I set the altimeter at the trailhead, it is way, way off (I'm talking thousands of feet) by the time I reach the summit. It happens everytime I use it... not just occaisionally. In addition, the temperature gauge doesn't work right... I think it gets messed up by my body temperature. I wouldn't recommend purchasing one of these... it was a lot of money for something that is only accurate when telling time.

- Ivy

Gee, mine works pretty well. I hope you didn't have it set in metric and were expecting it to be in feet! :D Someone I know did that once with their altimeter....

As for the temperature, the book (which is hysterically funny) says you have to have it away from your body for 15-20 minutes to get an accurate reading. Makes sense...

I use a Suunto "Vector" which costs about a dollar less than $200, so if you do buy one make sure you do it in NH to avoid the 5% :D

I think it is great, has everything I need; accurate altimeter, stop watch, tells time and date (haven't actually ever seen a watch that doesn't), waterproof, barometric pressure, and compass. Even has multi-alarms to let me know if I am running late (don't want to piss-off the little woman) :eek:

For years I used a Cassio Pathfinder, which is similar to the Suunto, but the display is tiny. It does have some awesome elevation gain/time outputs though...

Personally, I can't hike without an altimeter. I feel so naked and lost without one...

Also, an alimeter is only as accurate as it's callibrations.

Tom Rankin said:
Gee, mine works pretty well. I hope you didn't have it set in metric and were expecting it to be in feet! :D Someone I know did that once with their altimeter...

That is entirely possible. :rolleyes: I've been looking around for it for since this thread started, but can't seem to find it... ugh. I can't even remember the last hike I actually used it on.

- Ivy