Flags on the 48 - 9/11/2005

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelJ

Reaction score
I am pleased to invite you to join the Flags on the 48 Memorial Hike which will take place this year on Sunday, September 11, 2005 from noon until 2pm.

As in past years, this event endeavors to fly the US Flag (and others) over the summits of the 48 New Hampshire 4000-footers for two hours in remembrance of the horrible terrorist attacks of 9/11/01. It's a memorial; it's a display of patriotism; it's whatever you feel, why in your heart you choose to participate.

This year, the signup process will begin on July 11th. The process has been revamped so that besides signing up to be responsible for getting the flag to a certain peak, you can also sign up to just participate on a peak, once it has garnered a responsible person. We limit the official group size to 10 to respect wilderness regulations and LNT principles. The responsible person will make sure the flag (and pole, if used) for a peak get brought up, and get brought down afterward.

For further information, the history behind this event, online discussion forums, and pictures from previous years, please visit our website at http://www.flagsonthe48.org/, which will be updated over the coming days to reflect 2005 information.

Thanks, and I hope to see you in the Whites on 9/11!

Michael... I was wondering if there is a specific time on the 11th of July that the reserving of the peaks commences?

And if you didn't already realize it ... today is, in fact, Flag Day.
:)

someone I know has a unique idea for Owl's Head. I'm trying to find out if he's serious. I suspect that no one is going to pick that one right away, so I have a little time.

You might be surprised SteveHiker! I have a feeling that the peaks will go very fast this year. VFTT has always greatly supported this event and I'd like to thank everyone for their help over the years. It's been a long time since the Woodstock Inn eh SherpaK!

May have been a long time (and a fun day!), but always I vividly remember why we do this hike. We must never forget the horror of 9/11.

I agree, the peaks will go fast. Last year I never even got one! (but still had a great day in quiet remembrance along the Crawford Path)

I was planning on hitting more than one peak, so I suppose I should NOT sign up as an official visitor...? Also, will there be an apres flag gathering at the Moose again?

I participated last year with Pedxing. It was a real honor, and I hope to be involved in some capacity again this year.

I alos hope to be there is in some capacity this year...last year I was a newbie and i was on Ike and Monroe during the flags...it was quite an expereince hearing a clarinet on Monroe from over a mile away to the south.

Gris: Since this year's memorial hike is on a Sunday, we've been toying with having some sort of gathering the night before. We'll keep ya posted!

Folks should not feel "shut-out" if they happen to miss the July 11 date and are not the "responsible" person for the peak.

New participants are encourage to attach their names to a peak they would like to be a part of (w/respect to LNT/10). Folks who have particpated in past years are more than happy to have new faces join in this meaningful event.

Hope to see you there.

Peace.

Ah yes. Last year the tail end of a hurricane blew out over NH the night before FLags on the 48. The next day was cool, clear and bright. I was by myself on West Bond. I think this year's sign up is a good idea. Thanks to everyone for the work on this. I think we have a fine tradition.

I think everyone's questions are already answered...

And I'd like to encourage anyone interested in following the status of the event, wishing to comment or opine about the planning or existence of it, to register with the Forums at [http://www.flagsonthe48.org/]the web site[/url]. That way, everything's all in one spot and we don't overload VFTT with stuff that could waver topic-wise.

Thanks to those who PM'd me ... I hope I addressed your comments in a good way. :)

I also look forward to participating again (with my 10 year old daughter Shannon) and having Old Glory flapping in the breeze as a small remembrance to that tragic day only 4 years ago...

All we need is good weather...

thanks for the info! i am hoping to be able to join in this year!

This is a great, non-partisan, event. Michael J thanks for you work on this. I'm planning on being there again this year.

MichaelJ said:
And I'd like to encourage anyone interested in following the status of the event, wishing to comment or opine about the planning or existence of it, to register with the Forums at http://www.flagsonthe48.org . That way, everything's all in one spot and we don't overload VFTT with stuff that could waver topic-wise.

Good idea. However, if, as I suspect, the peaks all go really fast, and we can't reserve our own peak, maybe we could keep this thread open for sharing peaks ?

Somebody mentioned or has mentioned (I don't know in semi-jokingly or not) about flags on the 115 :) I don't know if I'm the only one, but I think this could be done, knowing the character and the number of active users here in VFTT. Not to hijack this thread or anything, but I'd be certainly willing to do some peak closer to me in the ADKs or Catskills or perhaps even VT, anyone that would be tall enough for the 115. Maybe not this year, but I'm sure with a little planning, we could perhaps shoot for next year...

Just a thought.. :) I'm always thinking.

Jay

Reactions: Rik