Saddleback and the Horn

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alpinista

Reaction score
AMSTony and I (and I'm assuming SteveHiker is in on the fun!) are planning on hitting Saddleback and the Horn this Saturday, July 30. Originally, we'd thought about heading up and back on the AT from Route 4. That may still end up being the plan, but I'm wondering if anyone has taken the ski trails up to the AT and back down that way? Is it still a pretty hike? Does it have any distinct advantages or disadvantages that I'm not aware of?

Steve -- Tony is away until Thursday night or Friday morning, so I'm hoping to nail down a plan to hit him with when he returns. One of us is more than happy to drive, unless you're hankerin' to get your vehicle to the 200K mark on the odometer! ;) Feel free to PM me.

Any and all are welcome to join us! :)

We have a trip report from our Labor Day Weekend 2004 posted on our Web Page.

http://rbhayes.net/

Scroll down to the link "Hiking Page & Trip Reports".

This hike from Route 4 on the AT is in our top 5 list of hikes we have done. The pics do not do it justice. This time of year you will probably see a lot of through hikers as well. Bring some extra treats along to make friends!

alpinista said:
AMSTony and I (and I'm assuming SteveHiker is in on the fun!) are planning on hitting Saddleback and the Horn this Saturday, July 30. Originally, we'd thought about heading up and back on the AT from Route 4. That may still end up being the plan, but I'm wondering if anyone has taken the ski trails up to the AT and back down that way? Is it still a pretty hike? Does it have any distinct advantages or disadvantages that I'm not aware of?

Steve -- Tony is away until Thursday night or Friday morning, so I'm hoping to nail down a plan to hit him with when he returns. One of us is more than happy to drive, unless you're hankerin' to get your vehicle to the 200K mark on the odometer! ;) Feel free to PM me.

Any and all are welcome to join us! :)

Hey Alpinista,

We did the Ski trail back a few years ago, and it was fine. There is a herd path up the ski slopes that meanders around. Eventually, we just decided to go straight up, but this was a mistake! Ski slopes look well mowed from afar in the suumer, but they are NOT! :D

Anyway, it's exposed all the way up this way, so be prepared for that. When we did it, it was cold, rainy and windy, and of *COURSE*, as we got back down, it was warm and sunny! :mad: :D :mad: :D :mad: :D

No, I'm content to let someone else drive this time. Let's save the jeep for the next Caribou Pond (Valley) Road expedition.

200k will be happening very soon anyway. You'll see my avatar change.

The Saddlebacks were my favorites of the Maine 4Ks... the ridge walk is just beautiful. I really wish I could join you guys... but I have an AT section calling my name! :) When we hiked the Saddlebacks, we didn't take the ski trails but the only other hiker we saw that day had come up from them, so it's definitely do-able.

Enjoy and take lots of pictures so I can pretend I was there!

-Ivy

Last edited:
I hiked the ski trails up Saddleback this spring they were very muddy and steep. I could not walk straight up the ski trail and would switchback from left to right to left. Views were spectacular & with lots of moose tracks on the slopes.

I don't have my Maine Guide with me but It didn't take too long to reach the summit (I think between 1.5 and 2 Hr)

The spur trail / herd path from the slopes to the AT was easy to find.

The two places in ME I have to get back to are Katahdin (of course) and Saddleback. IMO Saddleback is best place in ME outside of BSP & perhaps in NE.

The mileage from the road while it looks impressive, much of it is easier than it appears yet a real nice walk.

Due to the condition of CVR back when I did Sugarloaf, I got to walk up & down those ski trails, I don't plan on walking ski trails ever again. They are designed for people with board(s) on their feet to go really fast on a slipperly surface. When walking, Lung busting on the way up, knee busting on the way down.

You will love these two peaks - I hope you have great weather!

Saddleback has been one of my favorite mountains. I did it in February after a big nor'easter came through. Winter was in full effect up there. I definately need to do it in nicer weather because the views look amazing. Unfortunately this Saturday is not so good for me or I'd join you.

I went up the AT and it was very scenic with all the fresh snow... I'd wager it's still pretty scenic without it, as some have already suggested. As someone else stated, the mileage seems long but the trail isn't too difficult early on.

Have a great trip and take lots of photos!

arm said:
you could drive up friday night, backpack in 1.5 easy miles to Piazza Rock and set up camp on tent platforms or a lean-to

cuts down on your total day hike to Horn from there, and you could spend an extra night at Piazza Rock, or 'pack out and go for another short day hike sunday before heading home ... have fun !

hiking ski trails can be a buzzkill, especially in summer if they're overgrown

bring a water filter ... last reliable water source may be before Saddleback

Ahh, how I wish we could that. But my time is somewhat abbreviated these days cuz of work...

And, you're right, Sherp about the two-holer! When I saw MichaelJ's pix of that, I thought -- yet another bit of evidence that he absolutely must write that book on mountain privies! BTW, Michael -- you've got to check out this photo, which I took expressly for you when I was at Unknown Pond:

385984095hsLrdG

"The Throne"
arm said:
you could drive up friday night, backpack in 1.5 easy miles to Piazza Rock and set up camp on tent platforms or a lean-to

cuts down on your total day hike to Horn from there, and you could spend an extra night at Piazza Rock, or 'pack out and go for another short day hike sunday before heading home ... have fun !

hiking ski trails can be a buzzkill, especially in summer if they're overgrown

bring a water filter ... last reliable water source may be before Saddleback

Ahh, how I wish we could that. But my time is somewhat abbreviated these days cuz of work...

And, you're right, Sherp about the two-holer! When I saw MichaelJ's pix of that, I thought -- yet another bit of evidence that he absolutely must write that book on mountain privies! BTW, Michael -- you've got to check out this photo, which I took expressly for you when I was at Unknown Pond:
"The Throne"

Last edited:
We are planning on hiking Saddleback and the Horn on Friday, July 29. Sorry we will miss seeing you. Enjoy your hike!

I am at work right now and can't get to my file, but if you have two cars and want to do a great traverse of Saddleback as a dayhike. Instead of doing SherpaK's out and back, try hiking from Perham Stream Road all the way to ME 4. It is 15 miles almost the same as the out & back. I am doing it on Thursday, August 25. All are welcome (send me an e-mail if interested). I drove the road in starting on East Milan Road close to Phillips with my Dodge Caravan to the AT crossing without any problem when I scouted it out last September 2004 and took good road directions. So if this interests you, send me an e-mail and I can send the directions to you. But if you do this allow for a long car shuttle.

I like "The Throne"! When I was at Unknown Pond, there was no privy ... it was all woods. I guess I'll have to return to bag that potty. ;)

For those who are curious, I do have pictures of the Piazza Rock privy. It is truly a two-holer, and it's "Your Move".

Aaron has made an excellent suggestion. It will be a long day - my topo map says 13.3 miles, and will require fording Orbeton Stream, but the logging road to the Perham Stream bridge at the AT crossing is in excellent shape, at least for the several hundred yards I could see from the trail.

When you're on the trail, you'll come off Saddleback Jr, drop down, pass (or stay at) Poplar Ridge Shelter, a shallow ascent over Poplar Ridge, then drop down to cross Orbeton Stream near a cascade.

The other side of the stream is a wicked steep ascent but short, to an old railroad grade. Keep going. The trail here is very moderate and easy. You will come to this logging road. This is not the one you want. Continue on, and you'll come to one with a nice gravel surface; in fact, you should recognize it because you drove on it, there's a bridge just to your left, and your car should be there thanks to Aaron's directions. :)

Thanks for the beta, guys! I guess AMSTony, SteveHiker and I have some confabbin' to do. So many choices, so many routes -- way too little time! I already have a feeling that I'm going to have visit this spot more than once just to experience it all.

Saddleback is one of my favorites...I've never gone up the ski trail, but I'm told the views are awesome. I enjoy the woods walk on the AT.

One of the things I sometimes do is bring extra maps - along with the trail map, rip out the relevant page from an old Gazeteer, and bring along ATV/snowmobile maps. Gives options for out-and-back trails.

You know you can drive as far as Eddy Pond. :)

Now that I am home from work I can give you this data.

This is from my detailed itinerary for my upcoming trip up Saddleback:

DRIVING DIRECTIONS TO END OF HIKE FROM CAMPGROUND

From Deer Park Campground, drive into Kingfield. 3 miles
Follow ME 142 South to Phillips. - 16 miles
Make right turn onto ME 4 North to AT crossing & parking area. - 12 miles
Total distance: 31 miles

DRIVING DIRECTIONS FOR CAR SHUTTLE
Drive back south 12 miles on ME 4 to Phillips.
Make left turn and go north on ME 142. 4 miles.
Make left turn on to East Madrid Road and follow lumber roads to AT crossing at Perham Stream. 10 miles
Total distance: 26 miles

ELEV MILES

2280 0.0 Start of Hike – Perham Stream Logging Road
2320 0.5 cross logging road
2120 1.2 cross Sluice Brook
1570 2.0 ford Orbeton Stream
3120 4.2 open ledges of Poplar Ridge
2930 4.7 Poplar Ridge Lean-to on left
2950 5.7 cross brook
3655 6.1 Saddleback Junior
3080 6.4 sag between Junior & The Horn
4041 8.1 Saddleback Horn
3550 9.1 Saddleback col
4120 9.7 Saddleback Mountain
2630 11.5 cross logging road
2610 11.7 Eddy Pond outlet
2620 12.2 Mud Pond
2300 12.7 Ethel Pond
2250 13.4 caves on right – side trail
2200 13.7 Piazza Rock (side trail to right) & lean-to on left
2000 14.0 cross brook
1950 14.3 cross old haul road
1750 14.9 cross gravel road
1550 15.5 cross Sandy River on footbridge
1600 15.6 End of Hike - ME 4

DRIVING DIRECTIONS TO END OF HIKE FROM CAMPGROUND

1) Drive 3 miles into Kingfield from Deer Farm Campground.
2) From intersection of ME 16/27/142 in Kingfield take ME 142 southwest 12.7 miles.
3) Look for East Madrid Road (signed & paved) on right. Sign there is for (Hot Mix Plant).
4) 1.0 miles from there pavement ends & 1.9 miles pavement resumes.
5) 2.1 4-way intersection (crossroad) continue straight. Junction with Bray Hill Road.
6) 3.0 pavement ends again.
7) 4.5 cross bridge near houses. Just beyond, road becomes a little rough going up hill to left.
8) 5.3 cross roads with fences on far side of intersection. (plenty of posted signs at intersection) – make right. Rough narrow road from here.
9) 5.7 rotted bridge and I wasn’t sure I could trust it but asked around and they assured me the bridge was OK and safe to cross.
10) 6.9 green gate on right
11) 7.5 bridge over stream. Make immediate left at fork after bridge. Many snowmobile trail signs at intersection
12) 7.7 & 7.8 cross rough gullys
13) 8.0 another fork after another bridge – bear left.
14) 8.3 junction on left – stay straight
15) 9.2 fork again – stay left.
16) 10.7 cross AT, Perham Stream bridge & parking on left.

Total distance 27 miles.