VFTT Secret Sign

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dr_wu002

Reaction score
Someone pointed out in another thread recently that they walk by people on the trail and wonder if they post to VFTT. I oftentimes do myself... I will ask on occasion but not often. I do wonder. Some of us (myself included) don't have a patch or a t-shirt for quick and easy identification.

It occurred to me that we should make a secret sign like a weird hand-movement or yell out the word "Alligator Egg!" to identify ourselves to potential VFTT readers we might not know.

Any ideas? Perhaps we could start a poll once we have some good ideas. Maybe a little dance or a nose pick or something clever like that.

List 'em!

-Dr. Wu

If your going up you could simply inquire as to how the view from the top was... or going down... say something like.. the view from the top is great or ask how it is from the bottom....

That is if verbal communication isnt too much.... It should be something that a lot of people are comfortable with and use.

Some people tie a handkerchief aroud thier arm... we could pick say a blue colored handkerchief tied around the left pack strap.

I too have often wondered if I have passed a lot of you on the trail before.

Last edited:
I vote for saying "alligator egg". My only question is what will someone who is not from VFTT think after you tell them that?

Wasn't there discussion a few years ago of tying a pink shoelace to one's pack? Or did I dream that? :confused:

SteveHiker said:
as long as you don't mistake us for bears. I've read what you do to them. :D

although I have to admit that would be a unique way to greet someone.
No, I wouldn't throw poo at you -- I'm not a gorilla. I thought about faking a knife attack but non-VFTT'ers would probably be really scared by this. Pulling down the pants (your own or the person you're trying to figure out if they post on VFTT) seems classless. So I don't know....

-Dr. Wu

I vote for saying "alligator egg". My only question is what will someone who is not from VFTT think after you tell them that?

After the sixth or seventh time on a popular trail, well that just reinforces the "hikers have a screw loose" label mentioned on another thread.

We could just pronounce "VFTT!" That way if the other hiker didn't know the meaning they would just think we were one of the three stooges.

Or we could make the victory V sign with our fingers, although we would know it meant VFTT.
JJHikes said:
Wasn't there discussion a few years ago of tying a pink shoelace to one's pack? Or did I dream that? :confused:
Yeah I remember that. Never saw it on the trail though. Don't have any idea where you could find pink shoelaces. I think I would rather be mistaken for one of the three stooges. :D:D

Last edited:
Mark Schaefer said:
We could just pronounce "VFTT!" That way if the other hiker didn't know the meaning they would just think we were one of the three stooges.

Or we could make the victory V sign with our fingers, although it we would know it meant VFTT.
Yeah I remember that. Never saw it on the trail though. Don't have any idea where you could find pink shoelaces. I think I would rather be mistaken for one of the three stooges. :D:D
I wouldn't want anything where you had to put something on your pack, especially if it's on the back. I oftentimes won't see your back if you pass me on the trail.

Even something effective like, bringing a jar of fake vomit and doing the 'puke trick' doesn't work because if you forget the throw up at home, you're S.O.L. So, nothing where you need a physicial entity other than yourself.

Nothing rude or offensive like giving the middle finger or yelling out "weenir" either.

You could always say, "Hey, is your name Darren??" but that almost got me punched out once. I ran into this guy on Monadnock and he looked like Darren to me (I had never met Darren before, only saw a picture). I asked the dude if he was Darren and he looked like he was about to hit me. I guess he gets that a lot and maybe his name is Doris or something. He looked angry that I was asking him. So maybe that's not a good scheme either although logically, it looks sound to me.

-Dr. Wu

OR..................

You could try to convince Darren to make another run of patches.

I'll be honest, if a stranger starts screaming "Alligator Egg" at me repetedly while out on a deserted trail, miles from any emergency services support, I will be forced to take drastic measures to protect myself, my family and my property :D

Perhaps we could all permanently disfigure ourselves in a distinctive fashion. Maybe have plastic surgery so we all look like Mavs00 or Dr. Wu. Could make for an interesting gathering....

You mean I've been walking around with a pink shoelace tied around my forehead all this time for nothing! Darn! No wonder those guys were pinching my butt.....

Neil said:
Perhaps we could all permanently disfigure ourselves in a distinctive fashion. Maybe have plastic surgery so we all look like Mavs00 or Dr. Wu. Could make for an interesting gathering....
Yes, I like this idea. I don't want everyone to look like me though. I'm thinking more along the lines of Alonzo Mourning. I've always wanted to look like him.

I'll talk to Darren about it on Monday.

-Dr. Wu

Neil said:

Really Neil, I'm with Wu here, I wouldn't wish this on anyone........... I'm quite sure most people here will be quite thankful if we kill this idea RIGHT HERE. :(

Last edited:
mavs00 said:
You could try to convince Darren to make another run of patches.

Until more patches are made, you can take a VFTT window decal and place it one of those plastic holders with the huge diaper pin on the back of it, (i.e. fishing license holder) and pin it to your shirt or pack strap. I think someone else is already doing this, so I can't take credit for the idea. :D

Here's what I do. I have a little belt pack (a tummy pack) that has my camera, compass, etc. and on the front is a VFTT patch.

Like so ...

(click for larger image)

It works! (Well it worked once that I know of.) It's important that any such patch be on your front, not on your back. So a patch on your backpack will generally not work, unless someone coming from behind is overtaking you (which never happens to me :D).

I like the "V" sign ("peace" to non-VFTTers, as opposed to "peace on you" to a VFTT fan!). Not sure that I want to do that disfigurement/Mavs/Tim thing - my dog would just bite me.

I've found that asking "are you a vfter?" works if you are talking to a vftter,because they usally ask " did you mean vftt?" If not , they just look at you funny and move on. Sometimes , I'll ask or comment about a view from the top, usally just a yes or no for an answer, a couple of times though, I've gotten a big smile which means you've met another friend. Maybe that should be the" secret code."

I don't know. I met sugahjohn and his dog yesterday on the Crawford Path and we figured it out. Maybe my VFTT t-shirt had something to do with it? :D

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.