Family of Bears Summit Washington...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w7xman

Reaction score
But they took the cog down!

Sort of a trip report...from the Obs...
"It therefore seems very odd that a sow would bring her cubs up to the peak, but none the less, there they were. Mother bear was leading, and the three cubs were evenly spaced in route trailing behind, heading from the Gulfside Trail over to the Nelson Crag trail. Once they got over to the cog, they hopped on the trestle and walked on the tracks all the way down to the trees. At one point one of the cubs fell through the tracks, but it quickly climbed back up to join the group. "

Details and pictures at:
http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/comments/

I agree, that's a great story. Momma must be very healthy to have 3 cubs - that's a good sign.

Bears are smart - despite the slipperyness of the wooden ties (the top side of the tie is covered in grease), the railroad bed must have been easier for her than the ground.

Wow. I was just up there Wednesday. Missed it by that much. Wow.

What a cool shot...it kinda reminds me of looking at jupiter through a telescope, except there is a bear in the middle of it...

Missed it too!!

pilgrim said:
Wow. I was just up there Wednesday. Missed it by that much. Wow.

Yes, Hikerfast and I were up there too on Wednesday...cheated and took the 10am Cog up!! :D

Can you imagine what a sight that would have been for people on the Cog?? Priceless!!

i have heard that the often rotting compost at lakes of the clouds has brought bears up higher than usual. i suppose the smells from the summit are nice as well.
yum yum.

bryan