Canisters: How to build?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradox

Reaction score
Holderness, NH, Avatar: Pine Marten on Mt Field
I hear that the canister on Boundry mountain is all shot up. I am headed to Boundry this Friday, if I can get the materials to make one, I will place it there.

I assume that it is a 3" diameter schedule-40 PVC pipe with one glued-on endcap and one loose endcap. How are they fixed to the tree?

They're held on with metal bands. Here's some examples:

Redington
aau.sized.jpg

Vose Spur
aao.sized.jpg

White Cap
aau.sized.jpg

Boundary
aam.sized.jpg

The AMC 4000 footer committee maintains these. You should PM or Email Eric Savage (chair of the committee) on this board and he may be able to help you out with materials and techniques. Or he might say they are already planning to fix it.

Have fun on the boundary. Check out the survey marker.

Last edited:
Papa Bear said:
The AMC 4000 footer committee maintains these. You should PM or Email Eric Savage (chair of the committee) on this board and he may be able to help you out with materials and techniques. Or he might say they are already planning to fix it.

You might consider hanging a Jar untill the FTFC replaces the PVC canister.

Onestep

photo

On Boundary there is a short path behind the cairn to a partial viewpoint looking into Maine. You might consider hanging the jar on one of the trees in there away from the swath. Any hiker doing one of the "US" lists will no doubt look for it in there as I did when I was there.
Gamehiker

When is a door not a door?

When it's ajar! :D

Actually guys, my office is almost next door to a hardware store and I'll have an easier time getting the pipe and endcaps.

Thank you for the photos, much appreciated.

Last edited:
Hey Kurt "onestep", I like your avatar register jar of Bottle Mtn! I put the original up back in the winter of 1986 (early March). Do you recall anything surviving from that time? I remember our group of (4) having exceptional boiler plate conditions for an easy snowshoe over some really tough terrain. Many of the back roads in the Cupsuptic area were plowed then for heavy logging activity. We cleaned house .... (10) bushwhack 3000 footers in two days. I didn't have enough register jars for them all .... but I did save one for Bottle!

Dennis C. said:
Hey Kurt "onestep", I like your avatar register jar of Bottle Mtn! I put the original up back in the winter of 1986 (early March). Do you recall anything surviving from that time?

Dennis, a lot of the jars in Maine are in tough shape. I do see your entries from the late '80's quite a bit though! I took a few pic's of the Bottle Mtn register; "08-09-88 John & Fred McHugh, 08-31-88 Dennis Spurling, 11-19-89 John & Bea Paisley", and if memory serves me right your the first entry in that register!!

Thanks for hanging those jars... it sure makes things "fun".

and for those that follow... the jars are in need of help! I'd suggest packing a "jar repair kit".

Onestep

I wondered if being fixed to the tree might lead to more trouble with water and icing and cracking so I installed one with an eyebolt in the end and hung it from a branch with copper electric wire, the theory being that it would tend to stay dryer what with swinging free. Apparently it was also easier to steal.

Okay, my committee of one approved a PO for 3 lengths of 12" long schedule-40 pipe, some endcaps and glue. (IMHO the committee screwed up already, and the pipe should only be 8" long but that is the subject of another thread.) I labeled it "Boundary MTN", "3810" as depicted in Papa Bear's pictures and will affix it to a tree with any surviving hardware or perhaps a hunka rope. In it ye shall find a register and a cheap and nasty mechanical pencil. I shall be lerking these corridors for news of other cannisters that might be in need of replacin'...... AAARRRGH!

Paradox

Last edited:
Paradox said:
Okay, my committee of one approved a PO for 3 lengths of 12" long schedule-40 pipe, some endcaps and glue. (IMHO the committee screwed up already, and the pipe should only be 8" long but that is the subject of another thread.) I labeled it "Boundary MTN", "3810" as depicted in Papa Bear's pictures and will affix it to a tree with any surviving hardware or perhaps a hunka rope. In it ye shall find a register and a cheap and nasty mechanical pencil. I shall be lerking these corridors for news of other cannisters that might be in need of replacin'...... AAARRRGH!

Paradox

Oops, 3810' is the old elevation. The accepted elevation from the latest Topos is now 3855'. I know I shouldn't have put up that old picture.

You will find summit registers on NH trailess 3k peaks. Lots of fun to look for the bottle Dennis C. put up nearly 20 years ago!

skibones said:
What are these canisters?? Do they have them on the mts in NH??
There are two types of canisters, both represented in NH.

1) Trailess Hundred Highest Peaks - these are maintained by the AMC 4000 footer committeee and are PVC canisters (as shown in pictures above). In NH these includes Scar Ridge, Vose Spur, Nancy and Peak above the Nubble (what did I miss?)

2) Trailless 3000 footer peaks. These are generally glass jars maintained informally by those who climb the the peaks. See Onestep's Avatar for an example.

The key for both types is the peak should be trailless - i.e. a bushwhack. Although bushwhackability will vary substantially (compare Nancy to Scar Ridge).

Paradox, I don't recall any surviving hardware. Ctsparrow spotted some holes on the tree, but there was nothing else in evidence other than a piece of the cap.

Hiding it a little out of sight isn't a bad idea, although the trees were denser on the Canadian side.

Raymond said:
Paradox, I

Hiding it a little out of sight isn't a bad idea, although the trees were denser on the Canadian side.

But the high point is clearly on the US side. The swath slopes down towards the canadian side. There's plenty of trees there to use.

Canisters on NH peaks

Some of the canisters/peanut butter jars have been removed over the years especially on peaks in designated wilderness areas, presumably removed by forest service personnel or well-meaning wilderness devotees, but to be fair some peaks have a fair number of canisters as well, placed by equally well-meaning folks who decided they were on the summit and that the register had been removed.