Great news for hikers - Land Purchase

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Explorer Editor

Reaction score
The Adirondack Nature Conservancy announced today that it has purchased all 161,000 acres formerly owned by Finch, Pruyn. The public will not have access to the lands immediately, but down the road, we no doubt will be able to use at least some of the lands. The property includes such gems as Boreas Ponds, Boreas Mountain, OK Slip Falls and the Essex Chain of Lakes.
It's possible that the state will buy some of these parcels. Anyway, this is the latest in a string of conservation deals with Adirondack timber companies. The four biggest deals of the past decade saved 664,000 acres. I plan to write a comprehensive story about the deal in the next issue of the Adirondack Explorer. Stay tuned.

mavs00 said:
Nice, according to the map, there is some pretty prime real estate shown on the map.

Lots of great stuff: Boreas Mountain (#65 in height), Boreas Ponds, Blue Ledges in Hudson Gorge, OK Slip Falls (highest falls in Park, I believe), part of Blue Mountain, miscellaneous lakes and peaks (most near the High Peaks region). TNC intends to renew leases with sportsmen. It may be 18 months before any additional land is open to the public. The public already is allowed on some Finch lands. A piece of the NP Trail, for example, crosses their land.

Nice, I'm on my way right now to hike some newly aquired land right now, but I'll be following this story as it develops, for sure. :D

Explorer Editor said:
Lots of great stuff: Boreas Mountain (#65 in height), Boreas Ponds,
Isn't Boreas Mtn. on Elk Lake Lodge property? I would assume (hope) that Dun Brook is included in the deal. Previous poking around and phone calls brought it to light that DB was not leased to a sportsman's club which increses the odds of it falling under public control. Makes me think of a proverb: "he who hesitates, may one day win."
:D

In looking at the Elk Lake Lodge map, I believe you're correct about Boreas being owned by ELL.
As respects Dun Brook, I think the long term prognosis is good. With FP still managing the land, though, probably good to lay back and let the DB thing run its course. DB is still surrounding by land leased by a number of Sportsman's Clubs.

Peakbagr said:
DB is still surrounding by land leased by a number of Sportsman's Clubs.
I think (correct me if I am wrong because I am not 100% sure) that approaching DB from the NPT either along FB Ridge, or perhaps in the future, cutting Kitty corner from further west, avoids the clubs' leased holdings. ie. from the NPT to Fishing Brook 1 & 2 is already on state land.

Neil said:
Isn't Boreas Mtn. on Elk Lake Lodge property? I would assume (hope) that Dun Brook is included in the deal. Previous poking around and phone calls brought it to light that DB was not leased to a sportsman's club which increses the odds of it falling under public control. Makes me think of a proverb: "he who hesitates, may one day win."
:D

I read in Adirondack Fire Towers that FP owned Boreas Mountain and that the trail to the tower crossed Elk Lake Lodge property.

I have been under the impression for years that Boreas Mtn. (summit) is on land owned and controlled by the Elk Lake - Clear Pond Preserve -- essentially the Elk Lake Lodge property. Part of the Boreas-Colvin Ridge line N'ly and S'ly from the Boreas summit seems also to be a property line in that particular area, according to the Elk Lake property map.

G.

Last edited: