Owl's Head, 'Whack-Slide-Slide-'Whack, 9/20/2008

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
September 20, 2008: Owl’s Head

Trails: Wilderness Trail, Black Pond Trail, bushwhack from Black Pond, Lincoln Brook Trail, Owl’s Head path, bushwhack from Lincoln Brook Trail to Franconia Falls – (oops)

Summits: Owl’s Head

Hikers: Fitz, Walt, and me

This hike was Fitz’s hike. This is the next to the last for Fitz in completing the 4K’s. He knew all of the options and decided we would bushwhack in from Black Pond and possibly bushwhack back out by way of Franconia Falls. On the way across the suspension bridge Walt brushed fairly deep frost from the bridge railing. I’m looking forward to winter but a few more weeks of mild conditions would be nice.

‘Whack:
Once we fell into a pace on the Wilderness Trail we generally kept moving to the Black Pond Trail. With little or no grade it was a tough warm-up. At the trail junction we paused for a couple quick pictures and set off for the first bushwhack. The rougher trail conditions and slight increase in grade finally had us all relatively up to temperature when we hit Black Pond. We had a clear sky, and bright sun; great conditions for pictures around the pond, which had a light fog on the surface. We briefly discussed the approach and Fitz took the lead. He wanted to lead the bushwhacks, with Walt and me looking over his shoulder.

We moved around to the west side of the pond and gained enough elevation to avoid the mud pits. Fitz took a bearing and we were off. By now we had a nice warm sun on our backs and it was really easy to stay comfortable – the cold morning conditions had passed. Slowly we worked our way on a 345 degree bearing toward the Lincoln Brook Trail. At one point we gained too much elevation too early and passed over a small ridge that is usually avoided. Other than that small addition in elevation the bushwhack worked out great! We hit the Lincoln Brook Trail, de-layered, had a quick snack, and were off for the slide. There were no surprises or problems between hitting the trail and reaching the base of the slide. All crossings ended with three pair of dry feet and the various mud pits along the way were easy to work through or bypass. Just before arriving at the slide we came upon a couple that were sitting in the trail while one took care of a footwear issue. It seems that she had a problem on the first crossing and went into the Franconia Brook mid-thigh deep (Kodak moment?). They asked how far to the slide. We told them it was just ahead. We stopped there for a quick snack before climbing the slide. While relaxing, the other couple passed through and headed up the slide.

Slide – UP:
After finishing our break, Walt stashed his pack off the trail. There were quite a few packs laying around on both sides of the trail suggesting we had company ahead. The slide is an interesting climb. First, it’s a mild herd path through the woods. Gradually, the conditions get rougher, the footing gets looser, the grade gets steeper, and eventually the exposure really opens up. It’s a fun climb. With multiple hikers it’s important to keep some distance between everybody to allow for a reaction to falling rocks, and we had a few. We all made our way up the slide without any problem at all. Above the slide the climb continued at the same rate and with the same rough conditions. A short distance above the spring we came upon another hiker that was finishing his 4K’s with this hike to Owl’s Head. I asked if he was saving it for last or just putting it off. Immediately the response was – “Putting it off.” We kept climbing and were running into a good number of hikers heading back down. Along the way we also came across a blaze that was missed by the FS Ranger that came in a couple years back and de-blazed the Owl’s Head Path. We reached the ridge and came upon a group of four or five, and one was finishing her 4K’s with the hike. This is the area where there were a couple mushrooms from Drew’s visit earlier this year. They are now gone.

We set off north on the ridge for the summit. First, we reached the blowdown field and worked our way through. There are a few new additions but we still passed over, under, and around blowdowns just prior to the “traditional” summit. We kept moving and worked our way further north to the “new” summit. There we found the couple that we talked with at the base. They were enjoying a break at the cairn. We stayed long enough for a brief visit and some pictures. I looked around and could not find the mushrooms that were left here by Drew on a previous hike. It looks like a return visit is about due for Drew. The place needs some fresh Drew droppings. Soon, we were off for the hike back down.

Slide DOWN:
We made our way back over the “traditional” summit and all agreed the herd path needs a significant increase in traffic before it is a clear route. Just after this summit location we passed the hiker that was climbing the slide to finish his 4K’s. A few more yards and he had it done. Congratulations – Mark! We headed off the ridge and were soon on the steep climb leading to the slide. Leaves were accumulating on the trail and in the areas where there was also flows from springs the leaves are quite slippery. Beware! Slowly we made our way down to the open slide and through the very loose top section. Eventually we reached the more solid footing in the middle, and finally back into the trees at the lower section. A short walk on the herd path through the wooded area and we were back on the Lincoln Brook Trail. Prior to heading up we all agreed to stop here for lunch before heading out. So, it’s lunch time. We were just finishing up with our lunch and the couple we had seen earlier came through and stopped for a quick visit. We all ended up heading down the trail at pretty much the same time.

We hit the first crossing and charged through – I believe everybody cleared with dry feet (perhaps her feet were still damp). We enjoyed the same result on subsequent crossings. Then, we settled into our own comfortable pace and headed for the starting point of the bushwhack to Franconia Falls. Along the way we made a quick stop for me to dig a boulder out of my boots and for Fitz to filter some water.

‘Whack:
Fitz decided he wanted to skip the trail and big crossings with a bushwhack to Franconia Falls. Again, we discussed the approach, set the bearing, and headed for Franconia Falls. The hiking through the area between the lower crossing of Lincoln Brook and Franconia Falls is generally very open. We were having no trouble passing around large blowdowns and the occasional swampy area. Evidently we generally favored the west side of these small detours. And, the detours compounded each other resulting in a fairly good drift from the planned course. Eventually we came upon a good sized swamp and passed around the west side of it. Soon, we came upon placed where somebody with a can of spray paint had marked the trees. It was obviously a herd path that was following a north-south bearing. I concluded this was an illegally re-blazed herd path from Black Pond to Lincoln Brook Trail. We continued on our bearing and found ourselves on a high area overlooking a pond. I looked closely at it, and then noticed Owl’s Head above and realized we managed to hit Black Pond as if we were shooting at it with a GPS. I got the attention of Fitz and Walt and explained my opinion. We all turned left and stepped down to the Black Pond Trail. From here it was a short cruise back to the Wilderness Trail and then Lincoln Woods, a little earlier than expected.

The day turned out great. We made it to Owl’s Head and back with no real problems. Fitz is now within one hike of having the list done, he has been through some bushwhacking experience, and Walt and I made it back to the car in spite of Fitz’s best efforts.

Thanks guys, I had a great time. I’m looking forward to another adventure.

Pictures will follow.

:cool:

Thanks mookie - we were really stuck with good conditions all week.

gooly said:
Good stuff Big E! I need to do this soon so it is very helpful...thanks
The steep section leading away from the top of the slide is getting a little difficult. Leaves are starting to accumulate and the spring activity has them wet and very slick. Some may prefer to bushwhack down from above the slide to the last crossing of Lincoln Brook. This bushwhack is documented in a number of posts. It’s relatively easy, saves some distance, and saves some difficult hiking conditions. You may want to study up on this ahead of time.

Good luck and enjoy Owl's Head. ;)

Great pictures Earl. In fact I think the most informative I've seen. I too have Owlshead as my remaining #48 so found this incredibly helpful.
Did you go up and down the same side of the slide (left side going up)?
Great report. Thanks.
Harry

peakn said:
Great pictures Earl. In fact I think the most informative I've seen. I too have Owlshead as my remaining #48 so found this incredibly helpful.
Did you go up and down the same side of the slide (left side going up)?
Great report. Thanks.
Harry
Hi Harry,
Thanks. I believe the White Mountain Guide suggests to stay right going up and stay right coming back down. I hike where it looks easiest with the best footing. At times this approach doesn't agree with the suggested course. You'll be able to see evidence from prior traffic where folks have wandered from side to side. It's very obvious.

As you reach the top, the slide seems to split. Stay left to hit the herd path that continues above the slide or you may find yourself in thick spruce working your way across to the herd path.

Be careful above the slide. Leaves are starting to collect and the various flows have made them wet and very slippery. The spring that is mentioned in the White Mountain Guide is running very well right now and partially the cause of the slippery conditions.

Enjoy the hike, it's a good one.

Earl

Earl, Nice TR and pics! Glad you had a nice hike out to Owl's Head. What's left on Fitz's list? Pretty nice days lately to finish out the NH48! Chris and I are both now officially on #47 and apparently in good company. Congrats to Fitz!

Dave Bear said:
Earl, Nice TR and pics! Glad you had a nice hike out to Owl's Head. What's left on Fitz's list? Pretty nice days lately to finish out the NH48! Chris and I are both now officially on #47 and apparently in good company. Congrats to Fitz!
Dave, that's great news. You've finally caught up to Chris. I knew you could do it. ;)

Fitz has one hike to go with two peaks - Monroe & Washington. I'd guess sometime in October he'll finish the job.

:)