12/17 - South and Middle Carter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjhbos

Reaction score
Sorry for the short notice but this Saturday, December 17th I am planning a hike if the weather is agreeable. So far it is just two people going but it would be better if there are one or two more people that are interesting in a hike that day; more enjoyable and safer. I have climbed most of the 4,000 footers in New Hampshire although my winter experience is less and I have only about 5 or 6 summits in winter conditions. Ideally I would like to climb South and Middle Carter (19 Mile Brook, Carter Dome, Carter-Moriah, North Carter, Imp Trail). We can arrange a time and place to meet depending on response.

I have read on this web site some reports of blow-downs and difficult conditions on the Carter-Moriah section and so this hiking loop could end up going down 19 Mile as well.

If there are hikers interested in climbing that day but not in the trail I suggested I am also interested in doing either Isolation or Whiteface.

Happy hiking,
-Steve

Trail Conditions

I have recent experience on the trails you are targeting. The Carter-Moriah Trail should present no real challenge. The problem area, if there is one, will most likely be the Carter Dome Trail from its intersection with the Nineteen Mile Brook Trail to Zeta Pass. This short section (~1.9 miles) was completely clogged with blowdowns and I am unaware of any trail clearing work that has been done.

Another difficult area is North Carter Trail and Imp Trail. You'll be heading down at this point and it is a little less of a problem but you should still plan extra time.

Perhaps a call to the trails desk at Pinkham Notch Visitor Center is a good idea - the person there can give you up-to-date information.

Good luck with your hike. :)

Earl

Thanks for the trail update

Earl,

Thanks so much for the info. I had spoken to the AMC trail desk at the weekend and thought that the Imp Trail was in pretty good shape. I was not aware that the section between Nineteen mile and Zeta was so bad so thanks for the info. I will allocate extra time.

-Steve