14ers.com discussion leads to rescue of abandoned @ 13k' CO dog

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
Last edited:
They carried the injured dog out in a backpack. This sounds strangely familiar... :D Kudos to the rescuers. True heroes.

The choice to leave the dog behind to get another hiker out is one that I can accept. Leaving on town for a business trip knowing your dog is stuck on top of a mountain on the other hand is deplorable.

Reminds me of the time I was hiking King Ravine with my brother in law and we were following a trail of blood up the scree slope. We got to the junction at the top and there was a couple there with a golden that was bleeding pretty badly from cuts on his paws. We asked if they were going to take him down due to his injuries and they said they were going to continue on to Adams! :(

Wow, tough situation.

If (according to the second link) he indeed had a kid with him to get off the mountain, his responsibility definitely rests with the adolescent. But, it's tough to wrap my head around not going back up with your own crew to try SOMETHING. Even if it's a recovery, it's your dog. Go away on business? Gimme a break, dude. It'll be interesting to see who keeps poor Missy.

I would imagine it's not exactly common practice to bring dogs high up on many CO 14ers for this reason? Yes? No?

Last edited:
Many years ago I was hiking with a friend from AVSAR to meet his wife at the auto road car race. It was Sunday mid afternoon. While watching a few cars go by there was "tone out" for a rescue party up at the top of Great Gulf trail for a litter carry. We volunteered and caught a ride up to near the top where a large crew of USFS and F&G and volunteers was assembling. We were just starting to get organized and a USFS employee came over to the group and was very upset. Very soon it came out that the patient was a Newfoundland dog at Spaulding lake. Apparently the owners had hiked in Friday in hot weather up the great gulf with the dog that normally led a sedentary life. They decided the dog was tired so they set up a campsite at Spaulding lake (illegal), they then got up on Saturday morning and left the dog while they went hiking. Sunday morning the dog still wouldnt move so they headed up to the summit and reported that one of their party was injured and needed a rescue as they had to head home, they reportedly forgot to mention that the member of the party was a dog.

The USFS and F&G folks were not happy and proceeded to take out the rule book and stated to decide how they were going to cite the owners. It was an interesting conversation, the gist was cite them for everything and if they had an attitude cite them seperately. While this was going on another F&G individual came over and thanked us and sent us away as F&G is not authorized for dog rescues. Apparently, if you assist in a rescue for a person in NH , the rescuers are protected by state law and if injured are covered by workmans comp. This doesnt apply to animals so they cant staff an official rescue with volunteers in fear of one getting hurt.

I heard later that the spouse of one of the F&G officers decided the dog didnt deserve their owners and got a rescue together the next day. Basically it consisted of dragging a worn out Newfie the length of great gulf trail. She reported slipped at some point and got a back injury and was out of work for a period of time and the costs were out of pocket.

I have followed "blood trails" in the past of dog owners that underestimated the abrasiveness of the Northern presidentials and the Mahoosucs. The Madison Hut staff reportedly has experienced many requests to assist dogs with torn up pads.

Last edited:
I would imagine it's not exactly common practice to bring dogs high up on many CO 14ers for this reason? Yes? No?
If you mean the reason is that the trails are mostly rocks, then yes, that could be tough on a dog's feet. (The distances involved are comparable to a good hike in the Whites.) But we saw several happy dogs on the few 14ers we climbed. I know there are a few people who hike barefoot...

Well, I thumbed through the 14ers site and found the page where the owner comes out to explain himself and the comments go on from there. Some compassionate, some not so much. Unfortunately, he's taking a pretty good flogging. Including things like this: dog.jpg

He goes by "aortolani14" and his first post on this matter is most of the way towards the bottom of this page.

If you mean the reason is that the trails are mostly rocks, then yes, that could be tough on a dog's feet. (The distances involved are comparable to a good hike in the Whites.) But we saw several happy dogs on the few 14ers we climbed. I know there are a few people who hike barefoot...

Well yes, but more that many routes are pretty technical and while you may be able to get the dog up, if something happens like this then getting down is near impossible without outside help.

Forgive me, I've never hiked in CO. But it is my understanding that like in the NE or where-ever else, some routes/mtns are dog friendly and some aren't. And that definition can vary from dog to dog.

Last edited:
Dog must have been in rough shape: Most dogs would die trying vs being left behind. Really happy she's okay. As far as where to take any dog: I feel it's like having a 9 or 10 year old along. Could be fine but you need to be prepared for the worst. Obviously this dog was pushed too far.

Last edited:
Forgive me, I've never hiked in CO. But it is my understanding that like in the NE or where-ever else, some routes/mtns are dog friendly and some aren't. And that definition can vary from dog to dog.
Yup, from someone who's hiked in CO (& NH) a lot

[virtual green square]

It seems like the owner didn't make much of an attempt to rescue their dog. It's nice to see a positive outcome. I bet there were plenty of warnings that they should have turned back before they got into that situation....

How a person treats their pet tells me all I need to know about their character. Many kudos to those rescuers!!!! Great job!!! To the former owner: probably best left unsaid, but remember what goes around, comes around!!!!!!

I was fuming when I read this post yesterday. It took me several hours to calm down, then I turned on TV news and what story was running. You guessed it. I guess I'm still somewhat charge up about it. I hope Missy gets a good home.