19-year-old Vermont hiker found dead in Ripton

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kevin, this is the very scenario that got me started in SAR.

As you know, I had a Newfy myself at one time. I started thinking about what would happen if I had some injury and was stuck in place during cold weather in MN. I taught him to find me and lie down alongside me for warmth if I were immobilized on the ground. That got me started thinking about using dogs to find lost people.

It's very sad to contemplate this incident, and it will strike pretty close to home for anyone who's a winter soloist, I imagine.

Sad news. Dangerous time of year...it will be interesting to hear more details on how this happened.

I can't say I haven't thought about this scenario many, many times. Sad to see.

Kevin, this is the very scenario that got me started in SAR.

As you know, I had a Newfy myself at one time. I started thinking about what would happen if I had some injury and was stuck in place during cold weather in MN. I taught him to find me and lie down alongside me for warmth if I were immobilized on the ground. That got me started thinking about using dogs to find lost people.

It's very sad to contemplate this incident, and it will strike pretty close to home for anyone who's a winter soloist, I imagine.

I knew you had one, but didn't know your reasons. From my experience with 3 over the years, I think you made a wise choice in terms of their innate tendencies to watch over their human companions. In that regard, I remember when my little niece and nephew would come to visit in VT, and would play on the front lawn. There was a steep bank in front of the lawn, and even on a hot summer day, they would position themselves between the edge and the little ones, shifting one way or the other as needed. You knew they would be absolutely cooking as there was no shade there, but if they were uncomfortable, it didn't have any impact on their diligence. We made no effort to have them keep an eye on the kids, it was just something they did automatically.

The death of this young fellow is very sad. I've been startled by the impact shock can have on my own body in terms of staying warm after even a relatively minor injury.