1972 ADK guide snagged at recycling center

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Berard

Reaction score
N. Thetford, VT Avatar: Cabot, winter 2011
In my small town, the center of community is the recycling center. All the worlds problems are solved there between 8 and 12 each Saturday.:D
That is the only time it is open, and along with dropping trash into the parked trash truck with sits there each Saturday morning, we toss our recyclables into 30 yards dumpsters, and there is a place set aside for items that may be of use to someone else. In the past, I have scored gaiters, skis, water bottles, a backpack, and various tools.

Today the score was a 1972 " Guide to Adirondack Trails":cool:

My question is, having not yet enjoyed the High Peaks, has much changed since then?

thanks!

Last edited:
Was the '71-'72 edition of the High Peaks map in the book?

The land above 2,500' around the AMR (Ausable Club) now is in the Forest Preserve. Many of the higher elevation leantos (Plateau, Four Corners, Snowbird, Plateau, Little March, Indian Falls) have been removed.
The Upper Twin Brook Trail is gone, the northern terminus of the N-P Trail has been rerouted. TR Mountain used to be called 'Unnamed, Indian Falls' at that time. One of the trails on Colden is gone.

Just a few things off the top of my head without consulting the map. Probably a ton of others that will jump out if I look at guide and map.
This Eighth edition was the first to publish the list of the Adirondack 100 Highest peaks.

The map was in the book.

I like the old AMC guides as a source of unusual routes, and wondered if this would be like that, or useful on a practical basis. I will of course get a current guide book before I do head over there. Which I will do one of these days.:rolleyes::eek:

My personal library holds a copy of each ADK guidebook covering the High Peaks from the 7th (1962) through 13th (2004) editions.

The books (and accompanying maps) do provide information about trails and shelters that have been abandoned or substantially rerouted or replaced, and are very interesting from that perspective. Equally interesting is how the seven books trace the changing “culture” of Adirondack hiking over nearly a half century – you can “read” that in the trail and shelter lists and descriptions, of course, but also in the style of presentation and related (background, or general) content.

G.

Got a new one today.:)
It will be cool to check out the changes, both in the tone of the text, and in the trails.

Now I just have to get to NY to hike! :eek:

Actually, I did hike once in NY...near Essex. I think the peak was Owl's Head? At the top, we came across two Porcupines gettin' busy in a tree! What a ruckuss!!:eek: