1st NY 4K - Slide, Cornell, & Wittenberg on 5/26/07

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double Bow

Reaction score
Ashuelot, NH (anyone know where that is?) Avatar:
Hey All,

Shamie and I are heading out to the Catskills for our first bit of NY hiking this weekend. Is anyone interested in doing Slide, Cornell, & Wittenberg with us this Saturday? We could maybe set up a car spot and make things a little easier. We'll probably be taking this at a relaxed pace. If you're interested, PM me before Friday morning. Thanks!

I might be on the Curtis Ormsbee trail on saturday doing my trail maintenance but I usually go up to Slide summit for lunch or so.. I also might camp between Slide/Cornell too if I'm around on sunday and feel like camping. I'll probably have my bow saw 'binered to my pack cause it's too big and clumsy inside of it so if you see a short Asian guy, yell a "hello"....

Jay

Jay H said:
I might be on the Curtis Ormsbee trail on saturday doing my trail maintenance but I usually go up to Slide summit for lunch or so.. I also might camp between Slide/Cornell too if I'm around on sunday and feel like camping. I'll probably have my bow saw 'binered to my pack cause it's too big and clumsy inside of it so if you see a short Asian guy, yell a "hello"....

Cool! If we don't get a carspot set up, we'll probably come down your trail for variation on the way down. Thanks in advance and I hope to see ya! :)

marchowes said:
Relaxed pace is a good one for slide, its probably the easiest 4k in the northeast :)

Slide by itself from Slide Mountain Rd is definitely an easy hike. A loop or end-to-end of Wittenburg, Cornell, and Slide however is no easy walk in the park. It's one of my favorite hikes anywhere because of the scrambling and the magnificent views.

Some Pics Here. It was fairly hazy that day, but you'll get the drift. Check out some of the steep scramble sections in the photos ......

You will love this hike, especially if the weather is good. I'll be up there somewhere, either on the Devil's Path, or on some remote lesser peak getting gobbled up by prickers. Have fun! (and welcome to the Catskills!)

Rob

DB, I'll actually probably park down where you are finishing. what direction are you going, i.e. are you doing Wittenberg to Slide or Slide to Wittenberg and are you doing the loop?

If you're doing the loop, a relaxed pace might be problemsome given that it's about 16-17 miles and I believe there are some tricky spots from the noreaster on Slide that might slow you guys down a little. I will be parking on Slide Mtn Road (aka CR47) to do my trail maintenance, if I am not camping, I can always give you a ride back to Woodland Valley which is where you would start to do Wittenberg at the campground there.... You'll see my blue outback with VFTT sticker on it but if I'm camping, then obviously, I wont be able to.

When you're at the Woodland Valley Campground parking area, you'll walk across the street and into the campground itself and then if you miss a blaze, just realize that you have to cross the stream that is on the far side of the tentsites and there is a bridge over it so if you miss a blaze and it's not too hard to do there, just walk towards the river and generally head back towards phoenicia and you'll see the bridge.

It doesn't get too steep til after you meet up with the trail that goes to the terrace mtn leanto.

You'll love Wittenberg and it looks to be an awesome day for it!

...and if you're doing the loop, try to run into me and I can show you a short cut that most catskill hikers use to decrease the road walk.

If you actually go over to Slide summit and then back to Woodland Valley, its much shorter than the loop with less elevation to do but then of course, you aren't doing a loop :)

Jay

Since Shamie is still getting her "trail legs" back after a winter off and since we'll be hiking several days in a row, I don't want to push things too much. ;)

Therefore, unless someone wants to join us and set up a carspot, our plan is to go from CR47 to Wittenberg and back, though we may take Curtis-Ormsbee on the way back if time is on our side, just for variety.

Ahh, if you are heading from CR47, then maybe I'll see you there? I plan on starting from there and walking down the PE trail to the CO and then onto my trail so we might run into each other along the way at least to where the BR trail makes the left off of the PE trail.... I have no time limits so whenever I wake up saturday, 'll pack up, will take me about 1.45 hours to get there so I suspect I'll be on the trail by 9amish.

Jay