2 Catskills Questions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacklab2020

Reaction score
Clarksville, MD Avatar: Babo, SE Arete, Summit
Never been to the catskills and will be heading out to do Devil's Path as an overnight.

1) Saturdays weather is looking good (sunny, warm). Is it better to hike east to west or the other way around (i.e. spend the sunny weather in the eastern section near twin, sugarloaf, etc OR over near Hunter and Westkill)?

2) For anyone who has been up there recently: Last weekend was cold and I believe there were several inches of snow up high. This week has been pretty warm... would it be reasonable to leave the crampons behind this weekend? (I really dont feel like hiking in 4.5 lb stiff soled boots for the crampon compatability...). I guess I could blow some more money on insteps/traction devices (but am not in favor of that either).

blacklab2020 said:
Never been to the catskills and will be heading out to do Devil's Path as an overnight.

1) Saturdays weather is looking good (sunny, warm). Is it better to hike east to west or the other way around (i.e. spend the sunny weather in the eastern section near twin, sugarloaf, etc OR over near Hunter and Westkill)?

2) For anyone who has been up there recently: Last weekend was cold and I believe there were several inches of snow up high. This week has been pretty warm... would it be reasonable to leave the crampons behind this weekend? (I really dont feel like hiking in 4.5 lb stiff soled boots for the crampon compatability...). I guess I could blow some more money on insteps/traction devices (but am not in favor of that either).

1. The wind usually blows from the West, so it might be good to hike East for that reason.

2. Definitely not enough snow for snowshoes, and crampons were not needed last weekend, but we never got above 3200'. The Devil's Path has a lot of steep sections, so you could encounter ice. And the temps have been alternating above and below freezing the last few days up high. I'd recommend bringing something for grip, like stabilizers. They came in handy last weekend.

Definitely start at Plattecove (I believe this would mean you would be hiking west) near Sugarloaf. You'll be getting a large portion of the elevation gain done in the first half then (with the Devils Tombstone Campground/Stony Clove Notch being about half way). Bring some type of stabilicers or such and leave the crampons at home. I was out in that general area on Monday and there was some ice hear and there but no snow and you were able to get around the icy spots easily enough.

Hey Justin, as an overnight, you will have more leanto options going west... Devil's Acre, Mink Hollow... (although Mink Hollow is probably decent in both directions). As mtn.goat says though, more elevation done east of Mink Hollow...

Jay

You heard it already, but one more time.
Suarloaf is famous for being icy. Bears a strong resemblance to the Ammo trail in places

Agreed stabilizers will help and should be adequate for this weekend. As John mentions, Sugarloaf can be notoriously icy, especially the west side where water flows down on the trail. In either direction you will likely hit that midday, and any overnight ice build-up may have abated some.

There are more multiple good views on all four mountains on the east half of the Path. So that would be perhaps more optimal on sunny Saturday. On the west half there are just two good open views: Geiger Point on the slopes of Hunter just before the descent into Diamond Notch, and Buck Ridge Lookout just east of the Westkill summit. Looks like the cloud ceiling on Sunday will be high enough to enjoy those views also.

Have a good hike. You will enjoy the Path.

The only snow I saw today was on Bellayre and Plattekill ski slopes, I'm sure Hunter and Windham have some also.Temps are in the 50's, not freezing at higher els. during the night, but a little frost in the valleys. Unless it freezes you should have a ice free trip. Better be prepared for west side of Sugarloaf , could still hold some ice.
Westkill (from Mink Hlw)was ice free sunday, a nice view point off trail on the ledges of St. Annes.

Last edited: