2 Old Forge questions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
I have never seen so much traffic on route 28 as I did this sunday. Lines of cars going both ways. when I came back in the afternoon it was backed up around the S curve all the way to the old mcDonalds. What was going on?:confused:
I know it has been hot, but was everyone at the water park.
My second question is about the old mcDonalds. I saw whie I was stopped, that they are putting new shingles on the roof. Please tel me they are putting in something with a drive in window. I need my McDonalds coffee in the morning and my greasy fries and ice coffee coming back.:)

Iron Man Tri in Lake Placid Sunday. ~2K participants; many more spectators.

I have never seen so much traffic on route 28 as I did this sunday. Lines of cars going both ways. when I came back in the afternoon it was backed up around the S curve all the way to the old mcDonalds. What was going on?:confused:
I was there yesterday also. It's not at all unusual on a warm summer weekend - even to have southbound cars backed up going down the hill outside of town, and northbound to the RR overpass in Thendara. If you really want to bypass Old Forge altogether, once you make it to the Old Mill Restaurant (coming from the south at the Moose River bridge), cut to the right and zip along on a parallel street to link up with the South Shore Road. That will take you on the east side of 4th Lake all the way to Inlet beyond where the traffic is such a major problem. Reverse the order if heading south. Same distance - all good road with little traffic. ;)

Last edited:
...that's just what we need in the Adirondacks...McDonald's.

Already was in Old Forge, but closed. Macs also in Saranac Lake, Tupper, and Lake Placid. Convenient (if not clean) restrooms for travellers, but I prefer Stewarts for food and "rest"...

...If you really want to bypass Old Forge altogether, once you make it to the Old Mill Restaurant (coming from the south at the Moose River bridge), cut to the right and zip along on a parallel street to link up with the South Shore Road. That will take you on the east side of 4th Lake all the way to Inlet beyond where the traffic is such a major problem. Reverse the order if heading south. Same distance - all good road with little traffic. ;)

Thanks for the tip, Nessmuk. I can definitely live without all the flea market activity and associated auto and pedestrian traffic.