2 people shot in the Catskills!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
"State police have reported two hunting incidents took place Saturday, the first day of deer hunting season in the region."

Full story.

Apparently one of these incidents was on either Halcott or Sherrill, both off trail destinations for those working on the 3500 Club list.

BRIGHT colors are highly recommended this time of year!

Last edited:
Bright colors indeed. As the ecomony remains sluggish more people may be trying to get themselves a deer, (moose, bear, etc) to help with the food budget. 99 44/100's of the hunters are careful but it just takes one (in this case two) to turn a nice hike into a tragedy.

At least they weren't looking for Soylent Green.:D

I am not a hunter so I don't know the answer to this. I know hikers are warned to wear orange and bright colors, but shouldn't hunters also wear bright colors so they dont look like bears?:confused:

I am not a hunter so I don't know the answer to this. I know hikers are warned to wear orange and bright colors, but shouldn't hunters also wear bright colors so they dont look like bears?:confused:

Yes, absolutely. Even if you are in full camo and stationary, like in a deer stand or turkey hunting, you're still supposed to hang/display orange near you as a warning to other hunters.

I am speculating here, but it sounds like the shooter in these cases may have been targeting bear hunters, not shooting at bear and accidentally hitting hunters.

I'm co-leading a hike locally Saturday on state land where hunting is allowed. Participants have been told hunting's allowed there and to wear orange. I'll bet most show without it. We'll see. I'll bring some extra.

Update

This new article states:

"Environmental conservation officials are continuing their investigation into a sheriff’s officer who allegedly shot at a Cairo man multiple times on hunting season’s opening day." :eek:

the linked article said:
Warrings also told investigators he had confronted Leis following the incident. Leis told Warrings he was aiming at a fisher nearby, Wren said last week.

:mad: I don't believe there's a firearms season for Fisher, is there ? Leis sounds like a loose cannon who should lose his job, hunting license and gun permits.
Fortunately for Warrings, he's a loose cannon with bad aim.