4/6 & 7: CT A.T.: Giant's Thumb, Limestone Shelter and detoured train wreck

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
After some indecision, I worked a half day on friday and was hiking out of Iron Bridge northbound on the AT by 1:30. Soon crossing over the top of Prospect "Mountain", I was at the Limestone Spring Lean-To cut-off by 2:45. Since I was in it for some exercise I continued on to Rand's View and Giant's Thumb. Giant's Thumb is a Glacial Erratic, about 8' tall, sticking straight up next to the trail looking like, well, you guessed it. After a few pics I headed back to the cut-off and made my way down the 1/2 mile to the shelter.

Limestone Spring is off the trail, often skipped, the center of the area's bear and porcupine activity and rumored (like most of this area) to be haunted by "Raggies". It is a very nice area; shelter, privy, stream and a water source that literally springs from the rock bluff behind the lean-to. As I unpacked I was soon joined by "Trek", retired military and full-time hiker out of NH. This was his 5th or 6th thru hike, as well as having done the Long Trail several times along with most other trails and mountains in the North East.
Set-up, dinner and nightfall came quickly. I was not disturbed by animal or spirit, only by nature's call and Trek's snoring.

Up by 7 and out by 8, I returned to Iron Bridge and decided to continue south to the detoured section of trail by the train wreck. Several years ago a train lost its load of lumber between Limerock and Falls Village at the exact spot where the AT is closest to the tracks. The lumber is still there, but not on the trail and the police barrier tape has been, for the most part, removed. It isn't a very interesting section of trail, other than the wreck, so not much is lost be taking the 1/2 mile road walk to comply with the detour.

Pics are here.

Good stuff, what a beautiful and often overlooked part of the CT AT. I stayed at Limestone Spring lean-to a while ago and love its remoteness.

Last edited:
It IS a great spot and I regret not making it up there for this one. Nice slide show too.
The thing that I don't understand is how did I walk through there years ago and NOT see Giant's Thumb ? :confused:

You would think the Giant would want his/her thumb back, no? Nice pictures Chip, sure looks like an odd erratic to say the least.

Jay

lattinhill said:
The thing that I don't understand is how did I walk through there years ago and NOT see Giant's Thumb ? :confused:
I did the same thing about 2 years ago; I saw it northbound and missed it completely (knowing it was there, mind you) southbound, on the same day.

Jay H said:
You would think the Giant would want his/her thumb back, no?
The giant is sleeping over near New Haven. Perhaps when he wakes up he will retrieve it. It is strange that he lost his thumb so far from his nap site, but I imagine they cover more ground in a day than most of us.

Nice report and photos. I haven't hiked this section yet. I will be sure to look for the thumb.