50 state high points in 50 days quest.....

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok, so if it takes 20+ days to climb Denali, and 6 days to do some of the others, hum, I no math wizz, but gee, um, something seems fishy.

Is he CLIMBING these, or is he just FLYING over them?

That would be fun, I would sign RIGHT up for the flying adventure!

;)

chinooktrail said:
ok, so if it takes 20+ days to climb Denali, and 6 days to do some of the others, hum, I no math wizz, but gee, um, something seems fishy.

Is he CLIMBING these, or is he just FLYING over them?

That would be fun, I would sign RIGHT up for the flying adventure!

;)

Might sound improbable, but twenty of the 50 are "drive ups," including Mauna Kea on the "Big Island. So, all of those east of the Mississippi can be done in four or five days total (Katahdin and Marcy are the toughest!). All of the others on the continent have been done in less than 24 hours each, including Gannett. In fact, even Denali was done in less than 24 hours (up and down) by Galen Rowell and Ned Gillette back in the 70s (although they acclimatized at 14.2 k for a couple of days before skiing back to Kahiltna base to begin there round-trip ascent and descent).

If you go to the highpoints page and sort the treks by trek date, the itinerary will make more sense.

A young dude named Ben Jones set the record in 2005, doing all 50 in 50 days ... so it's doable.

Sorry if I'm cynical though. From the site linked by Dr. D.:

"During his 50 States in 50 Days Adventure, Mike hopes to inspire kids across America to go outside and experience adventures of their own – giving a rest to their TVs, computers and video games."

I mean seriously, what is that?? Sounds like he's come up with a creative way to finance his highpointing travels. All the more power to him. ;)

(41 and counting for me.)

Last edited:
why?

the only question I have is, Why?

Ok, i get it now.

So if he plans to summit Denali on June 9th, is he on the mountain now?

Maybe Team Dom has met him! :)

Heck, if someone were paying MY way I'd be happy to make the road trip!

Reminds me of a song...

Road trippin' with my two favorite allies
Fully loaded we got snacks and supplies
It's time to leave this town
It's time to steal away
Let's go get lost
Anywhere in the U.S.A.

Hope he has fun!