$60 Mouse Boots & $35 Mountain Hardwear Ascent gaiters

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it true these boots run VERY big? I've heard to size down one whole size and a regular width boot will do fine for a wide foot.

Is it true these boots run VERY big? I've heard to size down one whole size and a regular width boot will do fine for a wide foot.
Part of the sizing is if you decide to wear fewer socks than with some other boot style, I wouldn't say that the inside is that different

Note however that the outside is huge, some snowshoe bindings simply won't fit and the boots don't take crampons well either

Warm yes

Just picked up a pair of these black boots without the valve at my local Army Barracks for $20, non issued. They also have the version with the valve for $59.99 like the link above. A note on sizing: These run big. I normally wear a 10W but got a 9W with some wiggle room.

If you are interested in buying K/Mouse/Bunny boots:
* Make sure you get US or Canadian military surplus (there are inferior imitations...)
* Wear a high wool sock. It needs to go above the top of the boot--otherwise the rubber will rub your skin raw.
* Most K-boots are very hard to get into--you basically try to use the smallest boot that you can get into. Once you get your foot in, it should fit reasonably well--so use the smallest that does both. Sizing varies according to the source. (When camping, the struggle to get into your boots can warm you up in the morning... :) )

They don't have much support--I don't think I could get an insole in mine.

Fitting crampons to K-boots is difficult--only a few brands will fit adequately. And watch out for the upper portions--they can rub holes in the boot. (The integrity of the rubber is vital to their performance.) I put tape on mine to protect wear points.

The soles are flexible--you may feel rocks and crampons through them. They also aren't very good for kicking steps (too flexible--you can bruise your toes). However, they work very well on snowshoes. And you can walk through streams without a second thought...

Expect your feet to be warm, very damp, and very smelly by the end of the day... (If you are multi-day camping, change into dry socks at the end of the day to prevent trench foot.)

BTW, I bought and used K-boots in the mid-1970s. It is possible that the design of boots has been changed since then.

FWIW, a friend of mine still uses hers now and then. (She tends to have cold feet if she uses other boots.)

Doug

Last edited: