75 miles of AT & Ten 4,000 footers in ME

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

askus3

Reaction score
Warwick, NY ( 3 miles by crow from Wildcat Shelter
OK I am making my Maine hiking trip open to all VFTT members. The trip dates are Tuesday, August 16 thru Friday, August 26. This hiking trip is along the AT southbound, 75 miles from Flagstaff Lake (eastern end of Bigelow) to Richardson Lake (South Arm Road-near Andover). Along the way we will take several other excursion hikes (Tumbledown, Weld Bald & Chain of Ponds Snow). This will all be day hiking with two bases. first the southern section for three nights at Coos Canyon Campground in Byron, Maine and then seven nights in Deer Farm Campground in Kingfield, Maine. All are welcome to come for a dayhike, several dayhikes or the whole trip if you can get away for that long. If you just saw the thread of Poison Ivy's of this area and you want to experience it in drier conditions (hopefully) maybe August will give us this opportunity. Anyway, for a complete detailed itinerary, just e-mail me and you will know the plan for everyday. I consider myself a moderate speed hiker - maybe a tad faster than book speed, but loves to stop and take pictures and notes for my future trip posts and photo captions.

One month from today I will be taking the trip promoted in the last post. I have a group of 6 joining me. Any more? E-mail me for more info (detailed itinerary). Figured I'd give it one more mention closer to the event and bring this thread back into the forefront a bit closer to the time of the trip. This will be a challenging peakbagging trip. All are welcome to come for shorter duration, but make sure you get in contact with me before showing up as the schedule of hikes is always subject to change. If interested in what we are doing on the weekend of the trip (Sat-Sun. 8/20-21). It will be two day hikes with a backpack option covering Little Bigelow & the Bigelow Range from East Flagstaff Road to Stratton Brook Road.

Last edited:
Interesting site that I will tuck away for future AT trip planning. The plans for this trip are all done. Just wondered if anyone out there is interested in joining me for some of these hikes and climbs of the Maine 4,000 footers.

Last edited:
I am just about ready to go.

I am all excited as I am ready to go in 2 days. I am leaving Tuesday, August 16 and starting to hike Wednesday, 8/17. My itinerary is as follows.
Tue. 8/16: travel from NY to Byron, ME. Set up camp @ Coos Canyon CG for 3 nights.
Wed. 8/17: AT from ME 4 to ME 17. Lakes, Ponds & more Lakes. Answering the call of the Loon.
Thurs. 8/18: AT from ME 17 to South Arm Road. Bemis Range, Elephant & Old Blue. Is this hike a rollercoaster?
Fri. 8/19: Off the AT for these two spectacular hikes. Tumbledown Loop & Weld Bald Mt. Travel to Kingfield, ME. Set up base camp at Deer Farm CG for 7 nights.
Sat. 8/20: AT from East Flagstaff Road to Avery Peak of Bigelow. Descend via Safford Brook Trail.
Sun. 8/21: AT from Avery Peak to Stratton Brook Road. Ascent of Avery Peak via Firewarden Trail. Avery, West & Horn Peaks of Bigelow. Swim in Horns Pond possible.
Mon. 8/22: AT from Stratton Brook Road to Caribou Valley Road. Ascent of both Crockers & bushwack to and from Redington.
Tue. 8/23: Off the AT for a zero day for some and a climb of Chain-of-Ponds Mt. Snow for others.
Wed. 8/24: AT from Caribou Valley Road to Perham Stream Road. Includes summiting of Sugarloaf, Spaulding & Abraham.
Thurs. 8/25: AT from Perham Stream Road to ME 4. A complete traverse of the Saddleback Range.
Fri. 8/26: Break camp, travel home.

If anyone, wants to join me for a hike or two just meet up with me at Deer Farm Campground in Kingfield, ME around 7 AM at the cabins.
So you will notice all hikes are southbound, but first 8/17 & 8/18 are at the southern end of the section and then we go to the high peaks of the northen 2/3 of the trip, but southbound orientation. I have two hikers in my group of 7 that are combining 8/20 & 8/21 and camping in Bigelow col. This should be a great trip and look for my reports sometime afterwards.