9th Annual Adirondack Winter Climbers Gathering Saturday, March 25

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkL

Reaction score
Canton, NY. Avatar: Mt. Washington in Winter:
9th Annual Adirondack Winter Climbers Gathering
The Gathering will be at the Crown Plaza (formerly called Holiday Inn, where the Spring 46er meeting is held) in Lake Placid,
on Saturday, March 25, 2006, from 5-9 pm.
Social Hour (cash bar) from 5-6. Buffet Dinner served at 6 pm.
The dinner includes FOUR main dishes- beef, chicken, fish and vegetarian lasagna, as well as green beans, potatoes, desserts and coffee/tea/milk.
Adults $21.00. Children 3-12 are $15.00. Children under 3 are free.
Price includes the tip for the servers. We must have 60 people at least.
Payments are due early due to Crowne Plaza policy. Send checks made out to
“ADK 46r’s” by Saturday, March 11, 2006 to:
Peggy MacKellar
165 Elm Street
Lake Placid, NY 12946
Please include names of those who will be attending. Women Winter 46rs are especially encouraged to attend so we can sign copies of Carol White’s new book, “Women with Altitude” which finally reached the bookstores in late November. You can buy copies at the Bookstore Plus in Lake Placid. The book covers all women winter 46rs up to 2001. It would be great if all of us could attend this gathering. If you need any more information, please email at [email protected] or call (518) 523-1341.

For the last eight years, there has been a dinner gathering of Adirondack winter hikers. It’s always on the first Saturday after the end of official 46er Winter (always 3/21). It's a gathering, not an official meeting, so there's no agenda, business, awards, voting, etc. The only semi-formal part of the evening is when people who have just finished their Winter 46 introduce themselves, and say something about their experience. The Winter Correspondents may also add a brief word. It’s a way to get together for several warm (deservedly so!) hours of recollecting, storytelling, face stuffing, foible jabbing, plan making, and potential hiking partner meeting. You may even meet the people who go with the names you’ve seen in trail registers, or still remember from the summit canisters. It’s nice to be able to sit and talk at length with fellow hikers without getting cold, breathless, or way behind the rest of the group. You don’t need to have done all 46 in winter to attend, and family is also welcome, if you think it wise to let them meet us.
Wearing an old name tag or button from a previous 46er meeting or elsewhere would help the mingling process. We usually have some name stickers, so don't worry if you can't find an old one.

There were some problems last year with having our gathering at the Black Bear restaurant under its new ownership. Peggy MacKellar looked around and found this new place.

There's one big difference between the upcoming gathering and all the previous ones. The Crowne Plaza requires a contract. The contract in turn requires a deposit, minimum number, and 2 weeks notice of the final count. For this reason, we need everyone to have their reservations and checks in by Saturday, March 11. Please make them out to "ADK 46r's" and include the names of those being paid for on the check. If you have a problem getting your payment in by then, such as being unable to send a check from Canada in $US, you can pay when you get there, but please make your reservation on time. To avoid the 46er Club getting stuck paying for no-shows, please consider a reservation to be an obligation to pay. In the past there was a fair amount of slack about just showing up without a reservation. I don't know how much there will be this year. Let me [Mark Lowell [email protected] ] know if you're iffy, and I'll see what we can do. If you want to attend, we'd like you to.
If you have any questions or problems, contact:
Peggy MacKellar (518)523-1341 [email protected]
or
Mike McLean (518) 524-0182 [email protected]
PO Box 33
Ray Brook, NY 12977
or
me [email protected]

Children over 13 will be charged the adult rate. (Today, a child over 13 is a man or a woman. Mazel Tov!) Children under 3 are free but they must eat off their parent's plate. Sounds like a beautiful family-bonding opportunity! :)

AFAIK, There is no problem writing a check in US Funds from a Canadian Bank. You just write "US Funds" on it.

Who wants to ski the Whiteface Road with me that day?

At the rate things are going it's only a matter of time before there's a gathering of some sort every weekend of the year! :D

Neil said:
AFAIK, There is no problem writing a check in US Funds from a Canadian Bank. You just write "US Funds" on it.
SOME US banks have trouble cashing checks from SOME quebec banks, as well as
money orders from Canada Post.

I have experienced this.

Mark. We're already at the NINTH!!!! Wow, time flies.

Reminder

The Adirondack winter climber's gathering may be a month away, but reservations and checks need to be in by Saturday, March 11. So please drop them in the mail in time to get to Peggy by then.
If you're iffy about joining us, please contact Peggy, Mike, or me and we'll see what's what.

Canadian check in $us or not, not a good idea

Mark, believe me you don't want to take a check drawn from a Canadian Bank, first it will take weeks before you will get the cash second you will be charge a fee (and probably Neil as well). The best think is, for Neil, to have the (his) Canadian Bank issue a money order (draft).

I think that as a gesture of international goodwill all Canadians should be allowed in free!

Done!

Neil said:
I think that as a gesture of international goodwill all Canadians should be allowed in free!
Yes! I've already taken care of that! The good offices of the 46er Club have made sure that US Customs/HS will not charge any Canadians coming across for the dinner.
Please note: The Bridge Authority and Customs are two seperate entities.

Mail checks this week

Hi,
Just another reminder that the gathering is rapidly approaching. We'd like to have reservations and checks in by this Saturday, 3/11. If you haven't already, please put them in the mail this week. Thank you.
Again, if you'd like to join us but just won'tknow if you can until after 3/11, please contact one of us.