A Change of Season

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewHampshire

Reaction score
Goffstown NH, Avatar:Sending out praise for the Re
Here is a sample of one of the first shots with the new D400:

leaf5zd1.jpg

Please feel free to comment or critique.

Brian

P.S. Please excuse in advance any poor Photoshopping mistakes....I am still learning to use that properly too :eek: :D .

Nice image!!! I like the dof and sharpness. Nice composition.

I also just got the 400D, hope you like it as much as I do so far.

Hey Forestgnome, thank you. Coming from you it means A LOT ;) . Right about now I am VERY PLEASED I dropped all my cash on the 28-135 USM with IS instead of a couple cheaper lenses. As it was I had to go with an ISO of 800 with the IS on to get this handheld. And the resolution is more than acceptable so far as I can tell.

Good luck with your new XTi! I was afraid it was going to be too tiny for my fat hands, but I was told by a friend to get the battery pack....and it makes a whole world of difference!

Brian

Very nicely found, observed, composed, and exposed image. Finding clean compositions like this in a forest is like searching for a needle in a haystack. Good work. I also like the two similar leaves in the background exhibiting a repeated color pattern, one with the color side toward the view and one from the back. They both add to the composition.

If this is how you found the scene you were correct to expose the image as found. You would not want to disturb those water droplets. However, after capturing the image as found I would suggest nudging that overlapping leaf so that it is behind rather than touching the front of your main subject. It is a very minuscule overlap and not a distraction, but the nudge would produce a slightly cleaner composition. With the way wind blows through trees, and with water drops weighing down individual leaves, the relative juxtaposition of leaves and stems is often very random and changes over time. So I do not hesitate to make slight adjustments to scenes that are in keeping with the random possibilities of the reality of nature. IMO such minimal modifications do not compromise the integrity of a scene provided the modified scene still looks natural.