A Couple of Fools on Northeast Cannonball - 7 Apr. 2013

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cumulus

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Last weekend I attended my third Fools Scouts' Ball. It was a mellower affair than the others, but keep in mind that "mellower" is a relative term.

Every time I've gone to a Fool Scouts' Ball I've tried to get someone else to join me on a hike Sunday. This time I succeeded. Pam joined me on a hike up Northeast Cannonball.

To back up a bit, though: I came up from the Basin on Basin-Cascade Trail. I was on microspikes the whole time. The trail was very hard packed; it was perfect conditions for microspikes. Neither of the brook crossings was difficult.

I noticed on the Basin-Cascade Trail that the sign for Rocky Glen Falls was about a quarter mile downstream of Rocky Glen Falls, propped up against a rock.

I had initially intended to hike the Kinsmen on Sunday, like the past two years, but we decided on Northeast Cannonball because 1) Pam needed it for the NEHH list, and 2) rain was predicted, and the sky seemed about to make that prediction come true.

Around the Lake Trail and Lonesome Lake Trail were both also hard packed, although LLT was steeper than I'd remembered. When we got to Kinsman Ridge Trail and turned left the trail was less packed down, but still good for microspikes.

After we got to the summit we went past it a little bit to make sure we were really at the summit. Northeast Cannonball has better views than I'd remembered, made dramatic by asperatus clouds over the surrounding mountains.

Then we reversed our course and walked back to the hut, where we picked up the stuff we had stashed there and went down to our respective trail heads. The hike back down to the Basin was quick, and the brook crossings still easy. It never rained at all during the hike. I didn't even see any rain on the way home until Brattleboro. When I got back home in Connecticut there was a rainbow greeting me.

Thanks to Pam for joining me in extending the foolish weekend with a very pleasant hike.

Here are my pictures of the hike.

Here are my pictures of the ball.

--

Cumulus

NE111: 104/115 (67/67, 35/46, 2/2); Cat35: 22/39; WNH4K: 29/48; NEFF: 30/50
LT NB 2009

"I don't much care where [I get to] --" said Alice, "-- so long as I get somewhere," ...
"Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough."
- Lewis Carroll

Your LT '09 has been an inspiration for me. I have 10 vacation days carried over so far....

I hope you get to do it. My employer changed their vacation policy since my through hike. I wouldn't be able to do the same thing today.

--

Cumulus

NE111: 104/115 (67/67, 35/46, 2/2); Cat35: 22/39; WNH4K: 29/48; NEFF: 30/50
LT NB 2009

"I don't much care where [I get to] --" said Alice, "-- so long as I get somewhere," ...
"Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough."
- Lewis Carroll

Latest posts