A few inches here, a few inches there ...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohamed Ellozy

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
... and it adds up fast!

There was a lot of excitement here about the two major snowfalls, much less about the continuing accumulation since.

In Thornton we got about 4" between Thursday and Thursday night, plus another two or three last night. More small episodes in the forecast. That adds up to an impressive early season base for all kinds of fun in the mountains :D

Five inches over the last two nights in the Glen-Jackson area. :D

Nice powder initially but then it keeps warming up during the day into the upper 30's so it turns wet.

Keith

And more is on the way

Fluffy snow coming for the mtns tonight and tomorrow morning, and a more important storm for Tuesday, which will usher in cold air, and this boards new favorite (or hated) term: upslope. ;) Watch this second storm, it has great potential.

Lots of snow coming. Most of New England is going to get blanketed. Enjoy it while it lasts!

grouseking

Edit: Heavy snow warning in effect late tonight and tomorrow morning for southern Grafton, and southern Carroll county for 5-8 inches of snow in the Whites. The heavy snow warning extends south into Mass. Snow advisory further north for 3-6 inches. Heavy snow warning for the central greens for 5-8 inches as well. Oh and Maine too :)
:D

Last edited:
Good point. I've lost track of how many times I've shovelled the decks and driveway. There's another few inches adding up right now.

My favorite ski/riding/snowshoeing conditions are a few fresh inches over packed powder, so it's been excellent so far with all these 4" snowfalls.

happy trails :)

No need to fear - a warming trend is near! The buzz is that there is an above average temperature system moving in soon, and it could last a week or more.

Upslope? Upslope? We don't need no stinkin' upslope!

1. See attached, taken Monday, 9:45 a.m. EST.

2. See below, issued Monday, 9:20 a.m., EST:

.LONG TERM /TUESDAY THROUGH SUNDAY/...
STORM NUMBER TWO APPROACHES THE REGION ON TUESDAY WITH SNOW OVER-
SPREADING MUCH OF THE REGION BY EVENING. MODELS STILL SHOWING
PRIMARY SURFACE LOW OVER THE GREAT LAKES TUESDAY AFTERNOON
REDEVELOPING IN THE VICINITY OF CAPE COD AND SLOWLY MOVING
NORTHEAST THROUGH THE GULF OF MAINE THROUGH WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON.

EXPECT THE BULK OF PRECIPITATION TO COME TUESDAY NIGHT BEFORE
TAPERING OFF ON WEDNESDAY. HAVE GONE WITH GFS QPF AND COMPUTED
SNOWFALL AMOUNTS FROM THESE NUMBERS WHICH GIVES THE ENTIRE
FORECAST AREA AMOUNTS IN THE 6 TO 9 INCH RANGE. DUE TO HEAVY SNOW
WARNING ALREADY IN EFFECT WILL NOT BE CONFUSING THE ISSUE BY
ISSUING WATCHES FOR TUESDAY/TUESDAY NIGHT AT THIS TIME. WILL
LIKELY SEE WATCHES ISSUED BY THE DAY SHIFT AS CURRENT STORM WINDS
DOWN LATER TODAY.

:D :D :D :D :D

Roemer's right there with Grouseking...

Significant snows tonight into Wednesday AM, quite likely foot-plus in the southern Whites. Looks like about 6" of fresh fluff down in last 18 hours here in Waterville Valley. Our dog, Dale, at 15 the world's oldest living greyhound, has given up in disgust and attempts to burrow into his bed trusting no one will notice him and make him go outside.

Sadly, after skiing nine out of the last ten days, I am finding old knees and new (chopped-up, cruddy) snow don't mix so well -- we bailed briefly after noon, as the heavy traffic over the last few days has flash-tempered most of the trails into an interesting melange of iceiceiceFLUFFiceFLUFFiceice. It's still fun and all, but it reminds me too much of my career of late... a lot of sideways sliding followed by unpredictable stops and direction changes.

From WMUR on 12/31 PM:
After the recent snowfall Sunday Night into Monday AM, Concord, New Hampshire now has a new weather record. With 10.1" of snow out of this past storm, December 2007 has become the snowiest December on record with an amazing 44.5", breaking the old record of 43.0" set back in 1876.
This is going to be a December to remember for those of us who love playing in the snow!

Snow on 12/31 made for a really sloooooow ride North. 2 trucks jacknifed,roads were nasty with packed snow/ice. Almost 5 hours to hit Nineteen mile Brook trailhead from Tewksbury.
Snow started around 9am yesterday at CNH,and by 1pm it was really fast and furious. Going South was no picnic either. 93 South was closed just above Tilton for almost 2 hours,due to multiple accidents
NH roads are usually excellent. I wonder what happened?

Tell me about it Dan. I was stuck in the 93 South situation for several hours. It took me 7 hours to drive the 150 miles from Littleton, NH to Saugus MA on Tuesday, including two full hours to get from Exit 24 to Exit 23.

As to why NHDOT did not do their usual good job, I think it was a combination of very heavy traffic (virtually everyone who hikes/skis/rides in New England was out this weekend, and coming home Tuesday) and fast-falling snow. I don't think the plows were able to get on the roads before the heavy traffic packed them down to ice. In many ways I think it was similar to the situation that arose around Boston a few weeks ago, when there was a mid-weekday snowstorm.

Sorry to hear about that guys. I risked cutting across 112 to I-91. Normally, this adds an hour travel time on my trip as opposed to going down 93 to 495 to 90 to 84 but after seeing what a disaster it looked like even in Lincoln I decided to go that way. It was fantastic. I love that road in VT. Two lanes, no waiting. It bunched up twice because of two minor seperate accidents but it was always moving other than those two events. Even those didn't take that long to get through. I am sure the trip home by the 93 route would have been at least 10 hours and 12 would not have been impossible. :eek:

Can't be used by everyone but, just don't tell anyone. :D

Keith