A few Q's about Vermont

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEB

Reaction score
Hi All,

Like many of you I'll be heading over to Vermont this weekend for the Gathering and I'm hoping to get a lot of hiking in! However, I've only been to VT one other time so I really do not know much about the trails, routes and if roads are open or closed. If you can help me out I'd be greatful.

Frist, is the Lincoln Gap Road open to the parking area where it meets with the Long Trail? What about the road to the Battell Trail head? If both of these are closed what would be my best option for hiking Abe and Ellen?
What about Camels Hump Rd off route 2 to the Monroe Trail Head? Lastly, is Underhill State Park open in the winter if I decide to take the Sunset Ridge Trail up to Mansfield? I guess that's it. Thanks in advance for your help.

-MEB

Lincoln Gap Road is closed... though it isn't gated... it just has a sign in the middle of the road that says it's closed. If the roads aren't icy, you can get to Lincoln Gap without a problem... if they are icy you should avoid driving on it because Lincoln Gap is located on a long hill that would be bad to lose control on. You can get to the Battell Trailhead.

There is a winter parking area for the Monroe Trail, located maybe a half-mile at most from the summer trailhead. You'll see signs to the parking area. If you can drive up the hill to the summer trailhead (probably not a problem this year) you can park there. I attempted to drive up the icy hill a year ago and my car started sliding backwards while still in gear. I walked up the road and there were tons of cars (well, trucks with 4WD) parked there.

Underhill State Park is not normally open in winter... I think it's a three-mile roadwalk to the Sunset Ridge trailhead. We skied it last year but I can't remember if there was actually a gate or just a giant snowbank blocking the unplowed portion of the road. Even if you have to walk, it's an easy dayhike for you though. :)

- Ivy

Last edited:
Thanks Amy for the information!

One more question...is the Camels Hump Rd open from the Rt 17 in Huntingtons Center?

-MEB

We just drove a subaru up to the Monroe trail summer parking lot without a problem. Of course conditions change especially if the recent weather was rain.

Jan '05 the road to Underhill state park was drivable part way up to a barracade (snow bank) where the sides of the road were used for parking. From the barricade it was an 8 mile hike including the raod and Sunset Ridge trail.

Hey Meb
I'm south of Lincoln Gap and was out on a seasonal roadway with less elevation gain than Lincoln Gap yesterday with MJ and there was a lot of mud and glare ice -- not pretty. We weren't even sure we'd be able to retrieve my car last night as the temps began to plummett. Personally, I would avoid Lincoln Gap. Its been warm but there's been plenty of freeze thaws on the upper roads and any ice that accumulates just hardens in the tire marks. Its a very narrow and incredibly steep road from both sides -- there is very little in the way of shoulder on it and only one small turnout as you climb up to the gap. Not a fun place to try and make a three point turn. I drive an Outback and I wouldn't risk it. Plus there isn't cell coverage up there.

Rt 17/App Gap is maintained. Not a fun road either but at least its paved.

Mad River Glen Ski Area maintains a bunch of snowshoe trails. I don't have first hand knowlege of them or any maps, but it may be worth getting in touch with them and finding out if you can access the LT from there. I do know that for a stretch on Ellen the LT and Mad River trail markers coincide.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Cath said:
MEB laughs at icy - unplowed - not maintained for Winter driving - Roads
AND scary bridges. Remember, she's from Maine, and she's tangled with them all :D

True! MEB could probably hike up the whole dern road and the mountain!
But..for the safety of any lurkers from the Flatlands, I left my 0.02!!

:D :D :D :D

Cath said:
MEB laughs at icy - unplowed - not maintained for Winter driving - Roads AND scary bridges. Remember, she's from Maine, and she's tangled with them all :D

I did in fact tell una_dogger while on the CCC road this Sunday that it was nuthin' compared to Caribou Valley Road! :D

That said, CVR doesn't quite have the "slide too close to the edge and fall to your doom" that Lincoln Gap Road has...

Well, with all due respect for MEB's considerable driving skills, I have to say the the last mile of the Lincoln Gap road from the Warren side has got to be one of the steepest, twistiest, scariest sections of road I've ever driven, and that includes all the Northeast states plus backcountry in California, Colorado, WA, and OR. Part of the problem is that it's PAVED - it's one slippery road under most conditions. Driving up it isn't the problem - it's getting back down.

Personally, I'd just take the Battell trail or better yet - my favorite, the Jerusalum Trail.

MEB said:
Thanks Amy for the information!

One more question...is the Camels Hump Rd open from the Rt 17 in Huntingtons Center?

-MEB

That road is open to the Burrows TH all winter. We're having a mid winter mud season at the moment so it could be rutty.

On the east side the road is plowed to within .5 of the Monroe TH. There is a winter lot. If you try to go all the way to the trailhead and get stuck, don't ask the guy at the bottom of the hill for help. He's been in a bad mood for about 10 years. (I know someone who got stuck up there, it wasn't me.:rolleyes: )

Kevin Rooney said:
Well, with all due respect for MEB's considerable driving skills, I have to say the the last mile of the Lincoln Gap road from the Warren side has got to be one of the steepest, twistiest, scariest sections of road I've ever driven, and that includes all the Northeast states plus backcountry in California, Colorado, WA, and OR.
Moki Dugway anyone?

(Sorry--its in Utah. :) )

Doug

Kevin Rooney said:
Well, with all due respect for MEB's considerable driving skills, I have to say the the last mile of the Lincoln Gap road from the Warren side has got to be one of the steepest, twistiest, scariest sections of road I've ever driven, and that includes all the Northeast states ....

You've obviously never spent much time driving in West (by god) Virginia in the winter!!!
:)

Una Dogger & Michael J ~ my comments weren't directed at your good advice. They were pitched for a giggle for MEB. She's one resourceful gal, always at the ready to overcome an obstacle :)

And Kevin's right too, the road being paved vs gravel makes a HUGE difference.

Doug - about the only backcountry driving I've done in Utah is in Capital Reef NP, and the roads were in pretty good shape. And AMF - my driving in West Virginia is nearly non-existent.

Not to digress too far from MEB's question about VT roads, but ... the most consistently difficult roads I've driven on are in the Sierras, and they get almost no maintenance (the BLM has very little $$ for much of anything). Am getting a bit of an education on what constitutes backcountry driving - like 6 ply tires to reduce changes of sidewall punctures, carrying a compressor so that you can deflate the tires to around 5 psi for truly wraparound threads, and other tidbits.

Anyway - enjoy the VT 4K's MEB. Not many of them, but they're special nonetheless.

Kevin Rooney said:
Doug - about the only backcountry driving I've done in Utah is in Capital Reef NP, and the roads were in pretty good shape.
Moki Dugway is switchbacks down a 1000 ft escarpment just N of Monument Valley. Muley Point (at the top) is a very nice viewpoint.

We now return you to VT...

Doug

una_dogger said:
Hey Meb
Its been warm but there's been plenty of freeze thaws on the upper roads and any ice that accumulates just hardens in the tire marks. Its a very narrow and incredibly steep road from both sides -- there is very little in the way of shoulder on it and only one small turnout as you climb up to the gap. .

I was up to VT driving a "seasonal road"yesterday and had to engage 4WD to control the skidding. Icy in spots, major mud and ever deepening tire tracks. Drove through a pass on the way home, narrow, windy and snowy. No real accumulation but the wind was really blowing.
I did notice the at the higher elevations the trees were all white, like snowy ice crystals. It was indeed a beautiful site...my first for this winter.

Thanks everyone for the info :)

Just as long as there aren't any "scary" bridges I think I'll be ok..... :eek: By the way Cath, my knuckles are still white from gripping the steering wheel so hard :D :eek: :D

-MEB

Ok MEB, YOU are driving, I promise not to run out of gas, so Moose shouldn't be a problem!!! :)