A Gentle Reminder About Dogs on Trails

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dvbl

Unfortunately, some people need to be periodically reminded about this. Please, for the enjoyment of other hikers, and the safety of your dog, please keep your dog under control on the trails. REAL control. Not make-believe control. If your dog doesn't listen to your commands, then use a leash. If you don't want to use a leash, that's fine...leave the dog home. We all know people like this. They need to be reminded.

I'm neither a dog-lover nor a dog-hater. I care about dogs the same way I care about pigeons, cats, or chipmunks. They're just animals out in the world. As long as they don't bother me, I don't bother them.

The reason I bring up this topic is that yesterday, for the first time in my life, I almost killed a dog. Here's the story:

Incident #1: Mt Eisenhower, coming down Edmands Path, wife about 20 feet into woods taking care of business while I stand sentry. (No, not TMI. Important detail that we were nowhere near the trail and nowhere near the dog's owner). From about 100 feet down the trail a black lab comes running up the trail. I tell wife someone's coming, etc. Dog is heading toward me then see's my wife and turns into woods toward her. She starts walking out of woods and dog stands his ground and barks at her. So I head into woods and get between the dog and my wife. Dog is not backing away and is barking aggressively. At this point he's very close to getting a Leki tracheotomy. Finally owner comes up trail (she didn't rush, by the way), yells to the dog, it doesn't listen, she yells again, it doesn't listen again, she comes into the woods, grabs dog's collar and pulls dog away with her. Doesn't say a word. I say nothing. My wife looks at me and says, "Nice of her to apologize, huh?" Nice indeed.

Incident #2: Fast forward about a half hour. Much further down Edmands Path, walking at a nice lazy pace. Wife is 10 or so feet behind me and calls to me. I turn around to see the same black lab about 5 feet from my wife. Owner, true to form, is about 100 feet up the trail. I step back up the trail to get between wife and dog. Dog starts aggressively barking again and making slight lunges, staying about 5 feet away. Owner yells to it, it doesn't listen. (Is this all starting to sound familiar? At no point in either incident did either my wife or I approach this dog or its owner. But in both cases it came at us from a long way away and snarled and barked aggressively and repeatedly.) At this point I've had enough of this sh**. I pick up a softball size rock, wind up, and hold it. I'm telling myself to aim at its front paws so either the throw or the ricochet will hit it and/or scare it away. But the dog comes even closer, close enough that I'm almost able to smash it in the head without even releasing the rock, but I don't. Finally, the owner catches up, grabs the collar, and drags it away again. When I see that she is again going to say nothing, I decided to speak up. I say, "You shouldn't have that dog the trail. Someday it's gonna get hurt by someone with alot less patience than me." I watch her drag the dog past us and also past two young guys who had stopped and turned to watch the goings on. One of them was looking at me with a look that I couldn't figure out: surprise, fear, anger, sadness? I couldn't tell. I gave him a faint smile as if to say 'sorry you had to see that'. When everyone had walked away, I threw the rock down hard into the woods and stayed pissed off for the next couple hours.

By some odd chance if the girl who owns that dog is reading this, let me tell you this: You came within an inch of losing your dog yesterday. It wouldn't have given me pleasure to do it, but nor would it have given me sadness. I will do whatever I have to do to protect my wife and myself. And if that means having to use a rock to turn your dogs skull into gravel, so be it. If you cannot control your dog, then put it on a leash or leave it home. As I told you yesterday, someday you're gonna come across someone who has less patience than I do and he's gonna ruin your day big time.

I especially love it when a dog bounds down the trail, barking angrily, teeth bared, in full attack mode, and the owner materializes, all smiles, saying something innane like, "Oh, it's okay... he doesn't mean it...he's really very gentle...all bark and no bite" and pulls the snarling beast back by the collar.
That's when I wish I had pepper spray for BOTH the dog and the owner.
People like that give dog owners a bad name.
If you'd used that rock, dvbl, I bet the owner would've finally said something! Woulda been a good conversation starter....

The owner sounds like a jerk, an imbecile, or both.

Here's is an easy trick that worked every time for me. I used to run on a regular basis. I would enter a lot of 5 and 10K races and find myself in different, unfamiliar places around Buffalo, running the course the week before. I had an aluminum pipe about 18 inches long that I carried. When dogs came at me I would turn toward the the dog(s), raise the pipe in the air making myself look as large as possible, point at the leader with my left hand (if a pack,) ready to swing. Never once had to swing, although I do not think I would have hesitated. Worked dozens of times. I enjoy my own dogs, but they are definately not worth the damage they could do.

I imagine a hiking pole or most any stick would be just as effective. Very frequently it was funny as the dogs, would turn and quickly walk away, looking back, still barking.

Last edited:
Dogs on the trail

I agree totally with dvbl. If you want to bring your dogs hiking, thats fine. BUT keep them under control. (That means on a leash) You wouldn't walk down the street at home with your dog not on a leash.

Please please don't tell me "Oh he is friendly".

This weekend I heard the best one yet. " Geez, He never did that before".

I know I will get flamed for this, but you should have hit the human with the rock, not the dog.

I was a dog owner for 14 1/2 wonderful years, and she hiked with me alot.

She was ALWAYS on a leash, or really in a harness and skijour setup attatched to my waistbelt. Kids would run up to her and try to pet her and hug her a lot, and fortunately she tollerated it. (I won't make a comment about kids and leashes)

Some dogs, and I have seen a lot of them, have amazing humans whom they listen to with respect and honor. These are a joy to encounter on the trail, for me at least.

Unfortunately, there are the ones who bound over and eat your luch and the human with it just laughs it off. Those are the dogs even I can not tollerate on the trail, and wish they and their humans would just stay home. Mostly, I get upset with the human, hardly ever with the dog.

Sorry you and your wife had to encounter such a rude and selfish individual.

Takes a lot of people to make a world...

Having had similar encounters on an almost daily basis hiking with my dog on a leash, I resorted to buying one of these.
http://warreneckstein.com/store/buyhorn.html
It works! I just keep sounding it as the dog approaches and thus far, I have never had one close in.
You can also get them for a "marine store". I did a web search this am and there is one that can be heard for one mile and looks pretty compact!
It goes without saying that it should be very accessible.
It's not the dog. It's the moron who owns the dog and these people are never going to change. I hate to see a dog injured or killed because the owner is a big idiot.
I also carry red pepper spray which I would use as a last ditch but I am never without it.
I have had about a half dozen people tell me that the problem occurs because my dog is LEASHED!
In those cases, I have to use great restraint not to unclip my Akita and let her do her thing, then look at the owner and say
"I guess it wasn't the leash after all!"
:eek: :eek: :eek:

There's not much you can do with a vicious dog like that one...I wonder if you could call the forest service and have them meet the owner at the trailhead? Do they even have any sort of ability to enforce a situation like that?

When I come across a dog on the trails, I try to slow down or stop and stick out my hand an make eye contact. Sounds stupid and a good way to get bitten, but I've never been bitten - often once they get your scent and see that you're not there to be aggressive, they slobber you and are on their way.

You have more patience than I. Under those circumstances, I would have simply killed the dog. I can handle an aggressive dog by myself, but you go after my wife who is afraid of dogs, and it forfeits its life. I would have then contacted the proper authorities and waited at the trailhead. NH law is very clear under those circumstances. I would have also inquired if the women could be held criminally or civilly responsible for knowingly placing people in danger with an aggressive dog. Her nightmare with me would have just begun. I would go after her with every legal apparatus available to me. It might sound like I am being overly vindictive, but you DO NOT go after my wife! I can take a dog bite, or handle an aggressive dog, my wife cannot. That woman in essence would have ended my wife’s hiking because she would be fearful of encounter another aggressive dog on the trail. No one has the right to end my wife’s hiking because they are too stupid to handle their dog. Dog dies, end of story.

You know, I'm just going to close this thread now because I think we all know where it is going. We've had this discussion several times and they inevitably end up causing hurt feelings and angry accusations, and nothing new is ever said.

-dave-

Status
Not open for further replies.