A good harness for a backcountry sled?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KayakDan

Reaction score
I recently saw the idea of using a climbing harness to pull a backcountry sled.(posted here).I haven't found a harness that would distribute the load very well. Granite gear has an excellent setup,but they tell me it's $110.00-ouch! I am using a backpack waist belt now,but I would like to distribute the weight a little better. Any ideas?

I use a backpack waistbelt (from an old external fram pack) and it works great. It has a couple of different attachment spots and is very cushy.

I have a 2nd sled which has a 4-inch wide leather carpenters belt. That's not as comfortable, but works very well also.

spencer

another solution

I have used the old external frame hipbelt, but found it awkward with the hipbelt of the pack being carried when I pulled the sled.

I also tried attaching the sled arms to my pack with some luck. I used two biners on the hipbelt. I attached the biners to the wide hipbelt straps but not the padding. It worked okay, but you have to be careful that the hipbelt strap on your pack can take the load, most can't. My Gregory looked worse for the wear when I did this.

Another point. I found that the connection needs to have some floating. Meaning, it cant be a rigid connection or you'll be nagged by the load of the sled with each step. So I used a short section of cording to allow the sled to float. The length of this loop of cord needs to be tailored to your preferences. If you have it too short, you get nagging, if it is too long the sled rides up on you on the down hill. My preference is about a 4-5" loop though I've seen people who like 12".

If you attatch the cord loop to a point about 5" from the end of the sled arms then the ends of the arms will always be on your side and never poke you in the butt on the downhills. They do slide back and forth but you know where they are and with the 5" loop, they only slide forward up to 10 inches. Plus when you have the sled weigh against you on the downhill, it's nice to be able to gray the arms. I'd be bull__iting to tell you that you can steer that monster on the Chimney pond decent chute, but ...

JHS

good point about wearing another pack over the sled hipbelt. I tried that a couple of times, but quickly decided I didn't need a second vessel for stuff. I put everything in the sled (with a few things more accessible than others) making for a much nicer stride....

FWIW - I see lots of pictures with people that attached the sled arms to the daisychain on a pack on their backs. That attachment looks way too high (above center of gravity) and not very maneuverable to me...

spencer

I've just clipped to the webbing (not padding) of the packs waist belt, in the front of the belt. I do have an old 2" webbing belt that I've added those figure 8 plastic sliders to and pulled a loop out from the sliders to clip the sled onto as a "I don't have a pack" solution.

Army Navy stores should have those military combat harnesses- belt and suspenders in one- that may make for a good sled harness, but a pack belt has worked fine for me.

I was looking for a way to attach,without using a pack,but I suppose I can use one of my packs as a harness.John,good point about a shock absorbing connection. I have been using bungees with caribiners to attach and it works well.
Gotta sympathize with that down hill run. Full sled,on skis,heading down Zealand Rd,going like hell,around the corner....it's THE GATE :eek:

I tried attaching the traces to my pack (pita), then made a belt out of seat belt webbing which fell apart after a few trips. Now I use a backpack belt that I got at campmor for $20. It works great!
Although my day pack is full of stuff I need handy for my trip in, I strap it to the sled and don't carry anything but my camelback (stuffed between shirts so it doesn't freeze)

Oh I just read John Swanson's post, and I'd say I like the connection to be pretty close. If it's too long or rope that stretches is used, you'll be doing the herky jerky the whole trip. :eek:

I'm the one that uses a climbing harness. It's the bottom-of-the-line cheapest one that REI carries. I have dog clips on the front end of the frame that connects to the sled, and these clip easily onto the gear loops on the sides of the harness. By being on the side, not on the back, it doesn't feel like it's trying to pull down and off over my rear; the balance stays good, and the dog clips (on steel cabling, which doesn't stretch) allow just enough play. The harness fits on snugly and I don't take it off - I just unclip from the frame. It's quite innocuous (visibly and comfort-wise).

I used to use a waist belt as well. I found that had a tendency to be pulled down over my hips, which would drive me insane.

Interesting how many people still wear a pack while pulling the sled. I offload everything I can!
:D

MichaelJ said:
Interesting how many people still wear a pack while pulling the sled. I offload everything I can!
:D

Since I use a sled in the winter, I think of it this way: If the sled breaks, how do I move all my very important for my comfort and safety gear? Also, if for whatever reason I have to loose the sled (horrible tangled slide fall into steep sided stream?) I want something on my person.

I was planning on buying a cheap plastic sled at Walmart, tossing my pack on it and hauling in from the gate at Corey's to BB or WB L/T at the end of November. (There WILL be snow!) My plan was to get cheap rope as well and just wrap it around my waist. You guys are set up like pros from the sound of it. Any suggestions to me? Any links to pics?

Search for polk or sled in the forums- there was a fair amount of discussion going on last season (and already this season) there were links and pictures.

A sled from the winter trailhead to the summer trailhead at coreys is generally considered a good idea. From the summer trailhead onwards you'll get differing opinions. Last Christmas weekend I would have been much better off just packing in not using a sled. There was enough trail obstruction and non frozen creeks for it to be a pain.

There are a few gentle ups ands down between the summer and winter trailheads, a rigid traces will be desirable.

If I was using just rope, I'd be inclined to do two slings aaround my shoulders, but truthfully I'd likely just use a pack in that case.

Since I use a sled in the winter, I think of it this way: If the sled breaks, how do I move all my very important for my comfort and safety gear?

Oh, I most definitely bring a pack. If the sled broke I would be able to carry all the essentials (though not necessarily all the extras). In fact, I've done a couple of trips where the sled was just the approach, and to finish the final miles to base camp was a pack-carrying snowshoe.

It's just that while I have the sled, that's where the pack is. I don't leave it on my back, rather, I load it up and tie it into the sled. Load my pockets with gorp, clip a water bottle onto the harness, and start skiing. I'm surprised how many people, while pulling the sled, still have the pack up on their backs.

Warren said:
If I was using just rope, I'd be inclined to do two slings aaround my shoulders, but truthfully I'd likely just use a pack in that case.
Meaning...? Without a harness of some sort, (a $20 pack belt will do , I assume) then I might as well just carry my pack?

I've used a fanny pack and a climbing harness to pull my sled. Both work well, but the harness is more durable. I have a couple of old straight gate 'biners I retired that serve as clips on both. The fanny pack is handy to keep waterbottle and snack in. It's also nice just unclipping a buckle to get detached from the sled. The climbing harness takes a minute to get out of, but still is fairly painless. I usually ski bare-backed. I'd rather haul it on the sled. I usually keep the camera handy though..