A reminder of September today

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

In Rembrance , July 2024
Reaction score
The weather up in the north country today (8/5) was an early reminder that fall is coming. Although still warm in the sun it was quite cool this AM and the summits are quite clear. I expect a few folks hiking and camping along the ridge line might have underestimated their gear needs especially with the wind at the summit. Not sure if there are still frost warnings over the next few nights.

Although I expect summer conditions will be back soon for a few more weeks, it may be the time to take that second look in the pack to make sure a hat and mits are stored away in a corner.

The other quite change is the subtle reduction of daylight.

Meterological summer is on the cusp of buhbye on the higher summits. Daylight is waning on both sides of the day. Seeing many people who are still looking for directions to the Tuck's trailhead after 11 AM. Putting AT hikers with car rides UPBOUND on the Auto Road well after 4 PM who need to reconnect to the trail.... It must be August.

Breeze

The weather up in the north country today (8/5) was an early reminder that fall is coming.
A group may have been pinned down on North Lafayette for several hours Sunday afternoon/evening by high wind, low visibility, dropping temps, thunder & lightning and hail. Not quite clear: a group was observed off trail around 3:30 pm, huddled in the rocks about 80 yards off trail, then a similar looking group staggered into the Garfield Ridge shelter some time after midnight.

Some REALLY obnoxious types were sent scurrying off Lafayette down to the hut by the conditions though, always a silver lining.

I lost the trail twice, couldn't see from cairn to cairn for a short time, and I wandered off. Was adequately equipped with gear, but not with as much margin left as there should have been. Basically, Fall is always coming.