A Unique ADK 100 experience – Room for 2 more (July 27)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mavs00

Reaction score
Several VFTT bushwhacking friends will hiking Little Santanoni on Wednesday, July 27. Here is the kicker; we thought we’d add a twist that would make the trip a little different. Ordinarily, the classic route involves a 5-6 mile flat walk/bike along old unimproved roads from the Newcomb area back into the Moose Pond area (near the start of Ermine Brook slide) to the base mountain. Only then does the hike start.

In an effort to save some road miles and to throw in a touch of Adirondack style, we talked one of the guys at the High Peaks Stable into taking us back into the Moose pond area by horse carriage. The plan will be to “go old-style” using the horses to get back into Round Pond and then we will be bushwhacking 3-4 miles (RT) up to the summit of Little Santanoni (ADK100 #89) and then we’ll be walking the 5-6 miles back out to the cars. It’ll be a long day, but should be a lot of fun and certainly an interesting twist on things. It’ll take about 2 hours to get back in there by horse.

There are 6 of us (all veteran VFTTer) going so far and almost all (read - all except me ;)) are seasoned ADK 100 bushwhackoos - 2 are in the 90s, 1 in the 80’s, one in the 70’s and me and my son are the neophytes at 64. There is still room for 2 others to go. You should have some experience with bushwhacking, not so much to assist with navigation, but just enough understand the rigors of a good ole’ ADK bushwhack and all that goes with it.

PM me if you are interested. There is a cost (nominal) associated with it (horse don’t walk for free). The trip’s a mid-weeker, but hey, that what sick days are for. Let me know via PM and we’ll go first come, first serve.

BTW, Enven if you don't want to bushwhack Little Sant or hike with us - you can always just hitch a ride back into the area then hit the Ermine Brook Slide towards Santanoni.

Last edited:
Evidently you jumped from 62 to 65 successfully last week. You gonna tell us about it?!

Sure, next Wednesday :).............

Actually, I miscounted - We bagged Cellar and Wakely but big scary thunderstorms :eek: scared us off of Pillsbury, so we are at 64 right now. Here's a -REPORT-

However, if thing go right, we'll be at 65 by then ;)

Last edited:
We will expect MANY interesting pictures of your upcoming horsewhack! GREAT idea. I'll have to experience it vicariously, I'm afraid.
JT