Adarondacks From Watertown NY

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scoutmaster

Reaction score
Adirondacks From Watertown NY

Are there any hikes near Watertown NY?

I'm leaving on a business trip Sunday. Flying into Syracuse NY and Driving 3 hrs north to Canada. I could do a side trip and arrive at my desination late Sunday night.

Last edited:
I might recommend a side trip to the Chaumont Barrens Preserve, near Watertown. This is not a long hike, and it isn’t in the mountains, but it is an interesting landscape, with interesting geology. And it is not far off your route from Syracuse to Canada.

A lot more information is here:

http://www.nature.org/wherewework/northamerica/states/newyork/preserves/art11823.html

Another possibility is the Minna Anthony Common Nature Center, in Welleley Island State Park. The park lies just off I-81, right after you cross the first span of the Thousand Islands Bridge, headed for Canada. The NY State parks web site says the nature center, “includes a museum, varied habitats such as wooded wetlands, 3 miles of shoreline and open granite outcrops, and miles of trails for hiking, cross-country skiing and nature education.”

Again, this is not mountain hiking, but it does provide a nice sampling of the local geology and woodland habitat. You easily could spend an afternoon poking around in the Nature Center, without covering all the trails. I recommend heading right out on the Mud Bay trail and following the shore right past what is known as The Narrows, and taking your time meandering around on return to the museum and parking area.

More info about Wellesley Island SP here:

http://nysparks.state.ny.us/parks/info.asp?parkID=164

Have fun.

G.

I notice the typo was fixed. I'm sorry to be picky, but I'm a Virgo... :D Hope the link helps you find a place to hike.

Hey, Scoutmaster.

After your trip, please let us know what you did hiking-wise as a diversion from the road trip between Syracuse and Canada.

G.

Another possibility is the Minna Anthony Common Nature Center, in Welleley Island State Park. The park lies just off I-81, right after you cross the first span of the Thousand Islands Bridge, headed for Canada. The NY State parks web site says the nature center, “includes a museum, varied habitats such as wooded wetlands, 3 miles of shoreline and open granite outcrops, and miles of trails for hiking, cross-country skiing and nature education.”

Again, this is not mountain hiking, but it does provide a nice sampling of the local geology and woodland habitat. You easily could spend an afternoon poking around in the Nature Center, without covering all the trails. I recommend heading right out on the Mud Bay trail and following the shore right past what is known as The Narrows, and taking your time meandering around on return to the museum and parking area.

G.

Thank you for the info. I spent about 1.5 hours there today. Hiked around the shore from the Dock trail to the Middle and Granite trails and back to the museum. It was an excellent break from driving.

Last edited: