Adirondack High Peaks Campsite

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HapyHkngSmile

Reaction score
:rolleyes: Hello!

I am looking for a campsite that is somewhat private on some osrt of a water source in the High Peaks region of the dacks... I will base my hikes on where we stay. I am taking a few of my girlfriends up for an all gals weekend sometime in early September. I am familiar with the area but not car camping... Anyone have ANY suggestions?

Thanks a bunch!

PS Let's hope they are not too picky :)

Wow... car camping and private in the same sentence!

One of the first that came to mind are the sites along Corrys Road on the way up to the Seward Range. There are several, and they are spaced out such that most are quite private. Private and primitive. Excellent access to the Seward Wilderness.

I'm trying to think of another area... and the Loj and South Meadow areas don't qualify for private, and there aren't any on the Tahawus side that I can think of... any others would be state or commercial.

I think you've tested my knowledge!! I'm anxious to see other replies.

Thanks!

I didn't realize that I almost contridicted myself there :) I should have said that I am looking for a secret oasis in the High Peaks :) LOL

putnam pond has 8 or 9 boat access only sites. I stayed there twice. the only way to access them is by canoe. they are far enough apart for total privacy. If you dont have your own canoe you can rent one. pets are allowed with proof of shots. from the campsites you can access trail to treadway mountain which is a very nice moderate climb (1000 feet or so if I remember correctly) with a great view and interesting rocks. You can also hike to pharoe lake. the campsite is near ticonderoga. I based myself there to do rocky peak and giant one year. less than a hour drive to the high peaks. Very important fact is that there is a Mcdonalds nearby! :)

Where route 73 crosses North Fork of Bouquet River (bridge with nice stone parapets). Camping spots on south side of road. Dirt roads on either side lead to parking areas.

Rivet said:
Where route 73 crosses North Fork of Bouquet River (bridge with nice stone parapets). Camping spots on south side of road. Dirt roads on either side lead to parking areas.
These are not "drive-up to" camps as you would expect for car camping. And, unless things have changed, limited spaces and fairly popular. But, you are next to the water.

Rivet - agree, or has this changed since the last time I was there?

HapyHkngSmile said:
I didn't realize that I almost contridicted myself there :) I should have said that I am looking for a secret oasis in the High Peaks :) LOL
Well, if we posted a place it wouldn't be a secret oasis anymore, would it? ;)

When you talk about car camping, do mean just camping near the car, or camping at an 'official' place.

Do you want a hot shower at the end of the day, or would jumping in a cold stream work? Wat about a leach filled pond?

Do you want to wake up and later sit on porcelain, or do you have a shovel and knees that can handle squatting?

How much of a drive are you willing to put up with from your campsite to your hike start?

I've camped at South Meadow and used the coin op shower at the Loj after my hikes. There are several nice spots along the road, some in the trees (on the left side near the beginning of the road) and some in the open (on the right side near the end). I found the location a great basecamp for me, and as I was camping alone, the extra security of nearby campers made me feel better.

They are first come, first serve; primitive (no water, privy) but they are clean and central to the ADK Loj Trailheads as well as Lake Placid.

Have a great time! An all gals campout, sounds great!
:)

bubba said:
These are not "drive-up to" camps as you would expect for car camping. And, unless things have changed, limited spaces and fairly popular. But, you are next to the water.

Rivet - agree, or has this changed since the last time I was there?

I thought there was at least one walk-in site (short walk).

This map indicates 2 sites ... also sites around Chapel Pond

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/lands_forests_pdf/dix2.pdf

Rivet said:

These sites are almost always occupied. You may end up camping close to another group. I would not expect to find any kind of privacy at either one.

For free, primative camping, you can do better off the South Meadows road. Easier to find a more secluded place.

If you want a pay-place, the campground at the loj will let you wake up, and start hiking from your tent. When looking at the price, remember to subtract the parking fee from your campground fees.... That is if you want to hike in that area.

Your stated wants certainly appear somewhat vague yet difficult to meet... however, if you want a developed cg (i.e. hot showers) that rarely gets crowded, on water (a nice stream, not a lake) that is convenient to the high peaks, Sharp Bridge is nice. Only drawback is you can hear traffic on the northway... but not too obtrusive.

amf

AMF said:
....., Sharp Bridge is nice. Only drawback is you can hear traffic on the northway... but not too obtrusive.
Note that the sound is not as bad as it was in the past. I spent 5-6 nights there this summer, and fround it noticeably quieter. I'm wondering if those rumble strips are wearing down.

Rivet said:

Note Pete's confirmation above about useage, but thanks for attaching the map, Rivet. There are more along the road than I thought... and a little herd path that connects sites down closer to the Bouquet. I'll have to stop by and check it out on an upcoming trip.

There are several primitive drive-to sites at the Boreas River and Rte 28N. There are stone fireplaces, and maybe picnic tables... free of charge. And I often see vehicles parked along the Boreas where it crosses (passes under, actually :) ) the Blue Ridge Road.

Last edited:

Latest posts