ADK 46 through hike question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Rickie

Reaction score
OOOppps :eek:

Has anyone ever plotted a continious nonstop through hike of the Adirondacks 46 high peaks? Not a record breaking speed-hike-marathon with rides and ground support but a foot powered backpacking trip.

How would your plan you trek?

How many days would you think it would take?

Where would you: start, stop and place your food drops?

I planned this. Even started off to do it once. I was planning on doing it in 11 or 12 days...carrying all my food with me.

It could definitely be done faster, especially with food caches. Obvious places for those would be Upper Works, the Loj, Elk Lake, Giant trailhead, etc. You could also grab food/supplies in Placid and/or Keene Valley.

Jason

I planned this. Even started off to do it once. I was planning on doing it in 11 or 12 days...carrying all my food with me.

It could definitely be done faster, especially with food caches. Obvious places for those would be Upper Works, the Loj, Elk Lake, Giant trailhead, etc. You could also grab food/supplies in Placid and/or Keene Valley.

Jason

why not try it again?

Rich McKenna (Walks with BlackFlies on this board) has attempted this several times as a fundraiser, most recently in June. Link to his site, which includes 9 day hiking intinerary:
http://www.mackenziefamily.com/46/

Rich McKenna (Walks with BlackFlies on this board) has attempted this several times as a fundraiser, most recently in June. Link to his site, which includes 9 day hiking intinerary:
http://www.mackenziefamily.com/46/

I'm familiar with his story. He's was driven by the fund raising and is much tougher than I. I believe he also had friends for ground support and rides.

I'm thinking of a much more leisurely pace and more self supported solo type thing.

Last edited:
His plan involved foot travel only - no rides between trailheads. See the "tidbits" page.

I'd be interested in doing that as a section hike. Hike for a weekend and go home, then resume from that location on my next opportunity. I'm just not able to hike several days in a row, either logistically or physically. An interesting idea, though.