ADK Carpools?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattC

Reaction score
Ulster County, NY Avatar: Chapel Pond From Giant M
Here's another ADK carpool proposal. I saw IceNsnow's thread but those mid-week logistics don't work for me. I'll still be looking to go to ADK High Peaks for a while, but the gas situation precludes me traveling alone for the most part. Therefore, anyone wanting to carpool, let me know. My regular hiking partners already know about all this, but I'd thought I'd throw it out to the general community. 2 in a car splitting gas is good, 3 is better, 4 is doable if there's enough room for gear. I can drive, or kick in for gas if someone else drives. W/ my car, 3 people is probably about right, 4 would be pushing it.

I live in New Paltz, and so I can potentially carpool with anyone from the Mid-Hudson Valley/Catskills region, points south (NYC, NJ, if you want to drive up to me), or points as far north as Albany. I'm off weekends, can sometimes take Friday or Monday off, take a half/day, etc. I can often go on short notice if the weather forecast is good. Dayhikes/carcamping or backpacks are cool w/ me.

I'm looking to hit the following High Peaks:

-Allen
-Saddleback/Basin
-Haystack
-Street/Nye
-Marcy
-Skylight/Gray
-Phelps/Tabletop
-Whiteface/Esther
-Colden
-Marshall
-Big Slide

Any interest, post, PM or e-mail me. Me and a friend might actually be heading up this weekend (9/10) for something, possibly Saddleback/Basin.

Matt

Matt I would love to but as you know our lists don't match
Also being down here in the flat lands my driving schedule will get really strange now that I dont have Friday afternoons off, only in summer
I will pm you when I amd going up and if it works out great
Al

I'd like to do Yard/BigSlide/Brothers this fall.
Cantdog, can you dog? Or does your screen name refer to something completely non dog?
I'm in NY near Poughkeepsie and willing to pick up riders on the way up the thruway who are OK about hiking with a dog.
Sabrina

Edited to say that my timeframe is weekends only. :rolleyes:

Hi Matt, Maybe Jay and I could do something up there with you early Oct? Sept is a little dicey for me right now....... Al, please keep me in mind as well.

Good thread, Matt, car pooling is very responsible - helps protect our air and saves energy/expense. Thanks, Fred

PS: I would love to do Basin/Saddleback, Street/Nye, Allen, Whiteface, Colden, Esther, Marshall, Gray........ maybe you could twist my arm to do Haystack again :D

Last edited:
una_dogger said:
I'd like to do Yard/BigSlide/Brothers this fall.
Cantdog, can you dog? Or does your screen name refer to something completely non dog?
I'm in NY near Poughkeepsie and willing to pick up riders on the way up the thruway who are OK about hiking with a dog.
Sabrina

Edited to say that my timeframe is weekends only. :rolleyes:

Assuming the dog has reasonable trail manners, I have no problem, and in fact rather enjoy hiking with dogs. I would love to do Big Slide sometime. The only problem is that I'd probably want to do another couple of the 46 while up there. If you would consider another hike or finding a way to keep occupied for an extra day, maybe we could work something out. Or we could even potentially drive and camp together, but do separate hikes the same day while up there.

I have a friend who has had Saddleback and Basin on his radar for a while.
I "need" these, and also Haystack. Since these and Big Slide/Yard/Brothers are all in the John's Brook vicinity, maybe we could plan to go up for a three-four day weekend. Say, drive up Friday PM, walk in and set up camp, hike Sat and Sun, drive back Sun PM or Monday. My friend lives in the Catskills not far from Kingston-I would probably meet him at the Kingston thruway park n' ride as we have once in the past.

Matt

Another possible scenario is heading up after work and staying here:
http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/do/camping/campgrounds/paradox.html

It's one of the few DEC campgrounds that stays open until Columbus Day. It's south of the High Peaks, but the advantage of that is we could get there quicker on the first night up. I'll also just add another good reason to travel together when hiking stuff from the Garden trailhead-from what I hear, it's one of the busiest, plus Keene charges a fee to park. More folks in a car = less cars in the lot, and the parking fee split more ways. Win/win!

Maybe the first weekend of October? The second weekend is Columbus Day, so I have the three-day weekend, but there will likely be more crowds then too. Oh, and one more caveat-I like to get up early when doing the car-camping/day-hiking thing. Rise at about 5, get on the trail by 6 or 6:30. That's AM, by the way. ;)

Matt

Last edited: