ADK Hostels & other Cheap beds

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike P.

Reaction score
Silly me waited too long for a bunk at the ADK Loj for Iron Man weekend & they are booked.

My big plans for that weekend was a Macomb & Dixes trip on Sunday & I have yet to do many other peaks from the Newcomb/Tahawus area so I'm thinking this might be the time do some trips there.

Anyone have recommendations for cheap places to stay in the area. I'm okay staying in places like Minerva, Newcomb, North Hudson or Severance.

Looks like I'm Seward & Santonani bound, help

The Cascade Inn is cheap and has bare bones accommodations just down the road from the Loj Rd. Also, if the JackRabbit Inn reopens soon, they have a hostel. Right across the street from the Cascade.

For Newcomb, check out Aunt Polly's B&B. Great place to stay and great hiker friendly owners!

Last edited:
Tom Rankin said:
...Also, if the JackRabbit Inn reopens soon, they have a hostel. Right across the street from the Cascade...
The JackRabbit's Hostel is open again. Unfortunately, the motel itself is a total loss.

I would stay away from the Hostel in Lake Placid. The owner there is very unfriendly.

The Hiker Hostel in Keene is a great place to stay. I have stayed at Jack Rabbit a few times and found it pleasant.

-percious

Mike, you're doing everything over on the Tahawus side so you should stay over that-a-way. Not much choice. There is a B&B called Aunt Polly's (Tom Rankin and others has stayed there) - not sure of pricing. There is a very convenient state park, Lake Harris (Address:291 Campsite Road, Newcomb, NY 12852; Campground Phone: (518)582-2503)

Other than that, I've stayed in Long Lake. Best is the Corner Motel and after that, the Long Lake Inn -- on occasion, they can be jerky with hikers. You may share a bath down the hall.

FYI, if you haven't figured it out, IronMan w/end is THE most crowded event in LP and the area!!

bubba said:
Mike, you're doing everything over on the Tahawus side so you should stay over that-a-way. Not much choice. There is a B&B called Aunt Polly's (Tom Rankin and others has stayed there) - not sure of pricing. There is a very convenient state park, Lake Harris (Address:291 Campsite Road, Newcomb, NY 12852; Campground Phone: (518)582-2503)

Other than that, I've stayed in Long Lake. Best is the Corner Motel and after that, the Long Lake Inn -- on occasion, they can be jerky with hikers. You may share a bath down the hall.

FYI, if you haven't figured it out, IronMan w/end is THE most crowded event in LP and the area!!

I highly recommend Lake Harris. It is a beautiful place and its only 14 bucks a night. I just reserved a site for a few nights at the end of July so I can climb Allen. Also I just stayed there a month ago to climb Santanoni. Great fishing too and almost everysite has its own private beach! HERE is the website!

Last edited:
The Lake Harris & Newcomb places some great. Someone I work with has a house in the area & it's vacant that weekend so that will be my bed time destination.

Any eats in the area or Newcomb or Minerva?

Newcomb -- no. There is a little diner/grill type of place on 28N in front of a private campground but even the locals avoid it.

There is an ice cream/dog stand on the road leading up to Lake Harris campground, but it was for sale last summer and I don't know if it's open this year.

Closest to Newcomb would be Long Lake, a couple diners and restaurants there are good.

I'm not familiar with Minerva...

Latest posts