Affordable 3-Person, 4-Season Mountaineering Tent?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadtripper

Reaction score
Does such a thing exist?

Any recommendations for an awesome (and somewhat cheap) 3-person, 4-season mountaineering tent? It's probably a stretch, but I'd like to find one for $300 (although reluctantly willing to spend up to $400).

It's really only for 2 people, but I can never seem to fit 2 full-sized adults into a "2-person" tent. If there is a 2-person tent that is 70-inches or wider, that would work I guess.

The plan is to use it in the Whites & Baxter in the winter, and potentially on Rainier and other 14K-ers out west in the summer.

Thanks!

if you don't require a full 4 season tent, you can try a 3-4 season convertible tent, it will be lighter and cost less for the same space. There are 2 Sierra Designs Alpha tents also at campmor (see link below).

I have 2 convertible tents, an REI Mountain Convert and a SD Trios, both have worked well for me but never used either of them above treeline.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/s...goryId=45755&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=250

sli74

I have the sierra designs omega (2 person version of alpha) and so far happy with it. Its light, etc.. this is 3/4 convert. not sure what your going to be doing with it - but a 3/4 convert should be fine for NE and pretty much anywhere in the lower 48. (rookies, cascades, etc..) SD Alpha/Omega would be perfect for that - but if your carrying it - I would go for the omega due to weight and squeez in - but thats just me.

I got mine one year when REI had it on sale for 199!!!

;) :D :eek: :)

Last edited:
One tent to fill your request is the North Face Evolution 45. This tent is based on the same design as the Mountain 24/25 which is acknowledged as a superior high elevation tent that withstands the elements. This model is not part of the main TNF product line as it was discontinued 1 or 2 years ago, but I did a quick search and many dealers and eBay still carry it. As an owner of one, I can attest that it is well suited for 3 people even if it is rated for 4.

Another choice is the Bibler Fitzroy if you want to consider weight. At times you can find these at bargain rates near $3-400 range. I would not limit myself to a 4 season tent. I have used the Black Diamond First Light at Rainier and I felt it was well suited. In fact, I have been using this tent in the ADKs this winter without any concern.

Ditto on Seema's Eureka suggestion, thought I'm not familiar with that particulary model. Just know I used to have an Apex 2XT 3-season that stood up to hell and served me well for years before I retired it, and know others who've had similiar experiences. :D

will you be camping above treeline?

you might not need the bombproofness and weight of a 4 season tent.

i used my northface arches tent (non-free standing 2 person 3 season tent) somewhere off the falling waters trail just under shining rock two weekends ago with no worries. we used mtn. axes and buried snowshoes as stakes on the snow shelf we made on the mountainside. the wind was blowing pretty well all night.

i wouldn't recommend this tent in particular as it is too small to spend time in besides just sleeping, but think about where and how you will be using the tent and if you need a full-on 4 season tent.

giggy said:
I have the sierra designs omega (2 person version of alpha) and so far happy with it. Its light, etc.. this is 3/4 convert. not sure what your going to be doing with it - but a 3/4 convert should be fine for NE and pretty much anywhere in the lower 48. (rookies, cascades, etc..) SD Alpha/Omega would be perfect for that - but if your carrying it - I would go for the omega due to weight and squeez in - but thats just me.

I got mine one year when REI had it on sale for 199!!!

;) :D :eek: :)
I agree, I have the Alpha and am very happy with it. It can sleep 3 adults or 4 children.
BUT...if weight is not a concern, that Eureka XT would be more comfortable with the larger vestibule. Campmor rates many of their 3 season tents as 3.5 season, which I think is fine for almost anything but above tree line. Look at these also, that first one - Mountainsmith - is a copy of the Sierra Designs for $100. The last is the Northface Mountain for $350. You could probably find any of these new or lightly used for a little less on Ebay. (oh there's some nice tents out there !);

[http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39198978&memberId=12500226
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39169127&memberId=12500226
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39202155&memberId=12500226
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39165897&memberId=12500226
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39165954&memberId=12500226
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39164986&memberId=12500226

Last edited:
Great!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm probably going to go with the Sierra Designs Alpha...You've convinced me that a 3/4 season convertible makes more sense at this point and I currently own another SD tent (Orion AST 3), which I've been very impressed with. Thanks.

- Greg

Greg,
Just make sure you consider tent weight on this decision. What you are considering is a lot of weight for two people to be hauling up mountains. There is clearly a tradeoff between the roominess of a three person tent versus the significant weight savings of a two person. For me, I would rather be a tad cramped and save the weight, but this is obviously an individual decision.

Best regards,
Marty

I have the Eueka K2 it's sweet. But be careful using a 3 season tent in the winter. The elastic in the poles can get cold and the elasticity won't work and the poles can become useless. I speak from experience on that one.

peak_bgr said:
I have the Eueka K2 it's sweet. But be careful using a 3 season tent in the winter. The elastic in the poles can get cold and the elasticity won't work and the poles can become useless. I speak from experience on that one.
I sure there's more to it than what I know :eek: but I think the Eureka XT, the Northface Mountain and both Sierra Designs tents use the DAC Featherlite SL Aluminum poles. Sierra Designs alpha & omega are more of a 4 season tent that can be lightened and vented for 3 season use. You wouldn't want fiberglass poles, at this point, for a winter tent. There are a lot of good choices available. As far as resale goes, the Northface Mountain probably retains more of it's value.

Sounds like you made your decision, but in case you haven't...

Seema has good info on the Eureka K2. I bought one at the factory store in NY (Binghamton???) like 10 years ago. I got it for less than $250. Until it died a slow death and started leaking it was a bomb shelter. It survived a night on Washington with 90+ mph winds and gusts over 100 mph with minimal damage. Got me through many lesser storms with no damage.

It is a little heavy, but we would always just split it up between the 3 of us. Not really too much weight when split between 2 people and it is like a hotel for 2 people. Tons of room.

- darren

Yes, Darren, It's in Binghamton.

I was going to suggest the K-2 XT as well, but everyone else beat me to it. I haven't used one, but I work for a distributor that sells Eureka and just had the rep in here last week. The K-2 XT is their "roomiest and most popular 4 season tent."

Right now they're having their 40th annual tent sale. Nothing about inventory on their website, but check them out here

Having had at least 8 eureka tents over the past 2 decades, all bought on deep disocunt at the Eurka outlet in Binghamton, I can offer my unsolicited testimony that for the price, you simply can't go wrong.

My most recent possession was the 1999 Summit XT (I had 2 of them) which I recently sold. I have had an Alpinlite 2XT since 2000 and it is absolutely bombproof (I had it at the gathering last year and when I left someone (Artex?) put up an identical Alpenlite on the same spot.

Anyways, you can view Eureka online or call them at

Eureka Factory Outlet
625 Conklin Rd.
Binghamton, NY 13903
Phone: 607.779.2265
Toll Free: 1.888.6 EUREKA

This week is a good time to buy as they are having thier spring sale this weekend and are stocked to the gills.

I have the Alpha as well and it is a great tent for the price. My only gripe is that it has leaked through the base on severely wet days, but I re-waterproofed the base and it seems better now.

-percious