Allen from Upper Works 7/27

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U

Unregistered

After Couchie, which I did last year in pouring rain but somehow really enjoyed, Allen is one hike I've been dreading since starting the 46. My hiking mentor sorta put the fear of God in me, as have many posts on this site over the years. Nonetheless, it has to be done, and this was the year.

Given all the changes in land ownership in recent years, I wasn't sure what the current state of the trail/path would be when we started out. I hope this post will help update others on the state of things as we found them.

Both bridges are out and we found it impossible to rock hop and stay dry even though the water level wasn't particularly high. You'll either need to remove your boots or get 'em wet. I opted for wet boots, which was probably not the correct decision given that the first stream crossing is about 150 yds out of the car.

Trails in good shape and easy to follow, but could benefit from some side cutting. We spent about 20 mins trying to find the Twin Brook Lean To before figuring out it's been removed. (That's what you get for carrying your 20 year old trail guide rather than your newer one!). Path from former lean to site was actually in better shape than the official trail we'd just come off of. Note that the past is no longer flagged with tape as described in both the ADK and McMartin guidebooks, but some helpful soul has marked it periodically with homemade yellow trail markers that look suspiciously like plastic tennis can lids. It's very easy to follow. Beautiful walk through the woods along the brooks to the base of the slide, then it's steep and very slippery - be extra cautious on the bare rocks and keep a sharp lookout as the path enters and exits the brook and slide several times. My GPS watch said we gained 1400' in about a mile and a half. I've never been so relieved to reach a ridgeline! Views on top are limited to north (nice) and east (less nice).

The hike down was not as bad on my knees as I'd envisioned, and was quite enjoyable. (Moderator removed account of trespassing. However inadvertent, unnecessary detail and removed).
Twenty three miles in all, and all in one day. See? You CAN to Allen as a day hike.

Last edited by a moderator: