Allen wash out?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a few facts:

We've had a lot of melting going on up here in the Adirondacks over the past few days. Flooding has been an issue, not only on hiking trails (I read some reports of 3 feet of standing water on the trail to Marcy Dam last weekend), but some of the major rivers as well, due to snow and ice jams. The Opalescent River, which is the main river crossing on the way to Allen, drains the southern High Peaks, which means that snow in this watershed will melt faster on sunny days, contributing to flooding conditions.

We have a lot more wet weather (rain and snow) and warm temperatures forecast for the next few days. On Thursday night, the temperature is predicted to not even drop below freezing.

On ADKForum, it sounds like several groups that were planning Allen for this weekend have changed their minds, and are opting for different peaks instead. If you do go, please be careful. Remember that it's not uncommon in spring for rivers that are crossable in the morning to be impassable in the afternoon. Due to the depth, and the volume of water flowing through it, crossing the Opalescent is not something to take lightly.

At this point, there is a very good chance that Allen might be unreachable via the standard approach until after the meltwater subsides later on in spring.

Very Helpful

Thanks for your help. You may have saved me a lot of time and effort
Allen is a good one to put off for next year. Happy Trails to you.

Simple facts trump expert opinion every time. ;)

Last edited:
I was going to hike Allen on Monday with some other hikers and the man organizing the hike called the rangers about the water levels and was told: I HIGHLY DO NOT RECOMMEND IT, concerning the river crossing do to ice build up and high water. The Hudson is up 2 feet since Monday, measured at the Newcomb bridge.
Indian Brook Pass river is also impassable, as I would assume are most of the other streams now also. Tough conditions for those who are trying to sneak some W high peaks in before the end of the season, but it is what it is.

No problem this last Saturday. You would have never have guessed it was flooded like that.

Good for us. My wife's first snow shoe and back country hike to Avalanche Lake!

No problem this last Saturday. You would have never have guessed it was flooded like that.

Good for us. My wife's first snow shoe and back country hike to Avalanche Lake!

What was no problem? This is a thread about Allen, but talking about Avalanche lake are you talking about the swamp out of the loj?

Johns Brook was low and easily crossable the past couple of days, but you could see where all of the melt water had carved deep canyons out of all the snow and ice.