Altitude changes the flavor of food

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
The taste of food changes depending on the atmospheric pressure, which decreases as you go up.

Several testers rated their perceptions of different foods and wines while sitting in a chamber that adjusted the atmospheric pressure. The complex aromas of coffee picked up by the nose that give coffee its flavor were barely perceived at low pressure, leaving the bitterness of caffeine. The taste of tomato juice changed significantly from sea level to low pressure. Sweet and salty tastes were decreased, sour tastes were unchanged and bitters were slightly intensified.

Edit from "Science", Vol. 327 (2/19/10), p. 927

I've never had coffee or tomato juice at 14K', but I know for many years it was a struggle to eat much of anything above 12K'. It's easier now that I'm frequently at altitude, but usually when I eat it's based on the knowledge that I know my body needs it, not because I feel hungry.

Sweet and salty tastes were decreased
That's interesting...I was commenting the other day on something (unsweetened, pasta or something) tasting remarkably sweet and my girlfriend said in her reading on high altitude baking, she'd come across some comments that things taste sweeter at altitude, so reduce sugar. I also wondered if the longer cooktime due to lower boiling point had converted more starches into sugar.

The donuts they make on the top of Pikes Peak are delicious, and so is the coffee. Maybe it's better if you've hiked to the top for your treat? It's all we talked about for the last several miles up. Didn't have the same cravings two days later when we rode the cog up to the same summit.

Probably related but I find attitude makes things taste different as well. My attitude gets better as the elevation increases and things always taste better at about the same rate.

:D