American Alpine Club rescue insurance ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
Are they the AAA/Sea Tow of the Great Outdoors ? A recent Backpacker mag mentions their membership ($75 per year ?) includes rescue insurance.
I'm not planning to get lost anytime soon, but with the discussion of the recent rescue and who should pay, I thought I'd ask if anyone here has any knowledge of the American Alpine Club.

If you ask me, those who get rescued should pay - directly or through insurance - otherwise we all pay or resources are diverted from some other area, which we've probably already financed with taxes and fees to begin with.

Or Privitize the Great Outdoors, like much of Europe has. Members Only !
"And the sign said ya got ta have a membership card to get inside...HUH !"

Chip said:
Are they the AAA/Sea Tow of the Great Outdoors ?

It is one benefit of membership, but to quote the policy:

"Such rescues or evacuation must be necessary for medical or safety reasons. The emergency rescue and evacuation must either (a) be certified by a legally licensed physician to have been necessary for emergency injury or illness or (b) be certified by a mountaineering ranger or the mountain rescue officer in charge to have been necessary under the circumstances to prevent likely injury. Rescues or evacuations for convenience only or otherwise not meeting the above criteria are not covered."

I think this might rule out a lot of the rescues that typically occur w/ hikers in the NE that end up in the news, but if really needed its' a good benefit - I have heard in some places abroad you must have some form of insurance to access the high county.

There are other benefits - you get the AMC member rates at the White Mtn huts w/out supporting the Crawford Arms! (thats a joke, son, thats a joke...)