An Adirondack Ski Resort Takes Steps to Accommodate an Elusive Little Bird

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
(Nice to see they are doing the right thing).

When executives at Whiteface Mountain, a state-run ski resort in the Adirondacks, decided to expand their trail system several years back, they got a crash course on a species of bird that few had even heard of: Bicknell’s thrush.

Bicknell’s thrush is not listed as endangered or threatened, but New York State does classify it as a “species of special concern.”

(Article goes on to say that special accomodations are being made for the bird)

Full article at :

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/24/n...13469d997948&ei=5089&partner=rssyahoo&emc=rss

Wonderful! :)

I sometimes hear what I assume is the Bicknell's Thrush ( I call them Mountain Thrush ). They have that flute sound, similar to a Wood Thrush, and I hear them at higher elevation. Recently, I heard them near near the summits of Mt Eisenhower, Mt Chocorua and Bondcliff.

Happy Trails :)

Tom Rankin said:
(Nice to see they are doing the right thing).

When executives at Whiteface Mountain, a state-run ski resort in the Adirondacks, decided to expand their trail system several years back, they got a crash course on a species of bird that few had even heard of: Bicknell’s thrush.

Bicknell’s thrush is not listed as endangered or threatened, but New York State does classify it as a “species of special concern.”

(Article goes on to say that special accomodations are being made for the bird)

From Audubon WatchList - Bicknell's Thrush ;

"Historically, this thrush occupied dense balsam fir stands regenerating in naturally disturbed sites from wind throws, ice and snow damage, fire, and insect outbreaks, as well as chronically disturbed, stunted altitudinal and coastal conifer forests. More recently, it has been found in areas disturbed by timber harvesting, ski trail and road construction, and other human activities."

Seems this bird & the ski area will get along just fine!

Onestep

I believe it came to the spotlight when they announced they were going to build slopeside condos. That got the peoples panties all bunched up. I believe the UMP only allows for about 7 more miles of trails, ever. The last major change was when they added Drapers drop to attract more ski races.