Ankle support pt. 2

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dugan

Reaction score
Coban, vetrap, and tape all working nicely for additional ankle support, thanks all for your earlier advice. I'll be continuing to use it for another few weeks during more strenuous outings.

I'm getting some chafing along the achilles. I've tried some different things to prevent it, including different wrapping methods but nothing's worked so far. Different socks and shoes don't help. I've tried 1-3 layers of moleskin, 1-3 layers of the foam wrap that goes under tape, coating the area with vaseline prior to applying moleskin/foam, and duct tape. The moleskin, foam, and duct tape seem to be staying in place.

The area is getting pretty raw, but I hate to skip getting out. Any ideas?

I've heard that applying vaseline to the area of friction helps but I would expect that you'd have to reapply the vaseline periodically. I'm trying to visualize this ... is the friction between the achilles and the boot or the achilles and the taping? Maybe a pre-wrap before you tape the ankle will help.

chafing

It's between the wrap and my skin along the achilles, about the same height as the malleous. The aggravated area has been expanding downwards, it hasn't expanded around the sides of the achilles. It happens whether I wear boots or trail runners, and with tape, coban, or vetrap. I've tried pre wrapping with foam, with up to three layers over that area. I did try coating the first layer with vaseline too, since that's what the packaging on the foam suggested. I tried a large band aid this morning, but that's been the worst yet. Last night I tried a layer of moleskin that formed a ring around the chafed area, then another layer of moleskin over that.

My right ankle has been damaged since I rolled it playing volleyball. When I play soccer or volleyball now, I tape my ankle over a sock, and have never had a problem with chafing.

Also there are rolls of what (I believe) is called "pre-wrap." It's a foam, non-sticky tape that goes on under the outer tape. I didn't like using it as much as just going over an old sock, but it worked.

Good luck!

Solution

Cut a piece of moleskin barely large enough to cover the raw area. Cut another larger piece (at least .25" on each side). Position the smaller piece on the larger piece with sticky sides together. Stick the larger piece to skin, positioning the non-sticky section over the raw area.

Also, quality of wrapping material seems to make a difference. Coban & vetrap chafe less than store brands, same with brand name vs. generic tape.

Sorry, haven't checked this thread in a few days.

I use any old pair of nylon dress socks that were getting worn out, not the thin, girlie, see-through kind, but a slightly thicker type. Yes, they're snug. They work ok.