Ankle Support

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dugan

Reaction score
I'm looking for extra ankle support to add stability in hopes of avoiding reinjury while a recently sprained ankle heals. Taping helps, but I've been thinking of getting a neoprene ankle support because it would be faster to apply and remove.

Has anyone tried a neoprene sleeve? For support, how does it compare to tape? Are they too bulky to fit comfortably in a hiking boot or running shoe?

I've used neoprene ankle supports and was not impressed. I think you'd be better off with either tape or Ace bandage.

Steve

Coban is THE answer. It looks like an Ace bandage, but that is where the comparison ends. As you wrap Coban around your ankle, it "sticks" to itself. The tape is not sticky, but rather crinkly..

I'm not quite sure exactly how it works, but it does. When I was on the AT, I rolled my ankle badly just outside of Erwin. After a few days off, I wrapped it in an Ace bandage and tried to hike out of town. I couldn't do it. The next day I saw a doc who wrapped my ankle in Coban, game me a couple of rolls for the trip, and I was good to go.

It wraps tightly so it fits easily under your boot, and you can wear the same wrap for multiple days. Sorry to go on and on about this stuff, but it really saved me and added a ton of support to a very weak ankle.

Last time I bought any of this was a few years ago and it was hard to find. I think that Walmart was the only place that I could get it. Its more popular now, however, so hopefully you can find it in any large drug store.

Thanks for that recommendation, Chomp. I've carried an Ace bandage in my aid kit for longer than I can remember, and the Coban sounds like a good alternative. I'll look around for a roll of it.

G.

Bummer about the ankle.
I'm not sure about supports, but I've built up two formerly weak ankles through exercises. Once you're healed up, grab some kind of elastic band to strengthen your ankle. I beleive it's officially called TheraBand. Attach one end to a piece of furniture that won't move and the other to your ankle. Stretch the band out, and use the band as resistence. Be sure get both directions.
Writing the alphabet with your foot is also a good way to be sure you cover the full range of motion. And you can do it anywhere.
Good luck.

Go to Google and do a search for coban tape and you'll have more choices of online sellers than you'll know what to do with.

Bob

I haven't heard of Coban myself, but might have to try it out. I've always used an Ace brand ankle brace. I tried a few different types before finding that the stretchy fabric kind (good description, huh?) works the best for me. I always have a roll of white athletic tape with me to use in case my ankle seems to be especially bad.

Coban

Coban looks like Vetrap, both are by 3m. Vetrap is available through pet supply places, also Agway. Love the stuff - permanent fixture in my hiking first aid supplies.

Do you think it is supportive as tape? I'd thought of using it but thought it would be too flexible. Would it be applied in a figure 8 rather than a basketweave of tape?

Chomp: much sympathy, I also sprained an ankle on the AT - just outside Delaware Water Gap. <sigh> It was just a tiny little road walk in sneakers... wore my boots EVERY time I had the pack on after that! I too was off the trail for a few days, got back on with tape and aspirin.

I exercise regularly and am doing PT for it as I type. Luckily it's the left and I can even do 'em on my commute. Another suggested exercise is picking up marbles with your toes. I don't intend to depend on support rather than strength, I'm just looking for some added stability while it heals.

Thanks all!

Re: Coban

Dugan said:
Do you think it is supportive as tape? I'd thought of using it but thought it would be too flexible. Would it be applied in a figure 8 rather than a basketweave of tape?

I use coban at work when I bandage kids up. It's wonderful because you can mash the ends of the bandage to make it blend nicley, so the little fingers can't find the end and peel it off.

I also use it on my dog when he wears his winter boots.

I've wrapped it in figure 8 form over IV lines and sutures. Make sure you don't pull it too tight, or you will cut of your circulation.

I've never used coban as a supportive wrap over a joint, but that's not to say that you couldn't, by any means. I keep some in my first aid kit when I hike and ski.

Nadine

dog booties

Nadine: Vetrap is the only thing I've found that'll keep dog booties on without damaging the fur. I know someone who does sled dog racing with Siberians, she uses duct tape but then she has to cut some fur off to remove it. I made a set of suspenders that were in an "x" over the dog's back but they'll still pop off if the tops sink below an ice crust.

Found what appears to be Coban at CVS during lunch. I'll give it a try tonight.

Re: Coban

Dugan said:

Do you think it is supportive as tape? I'd thought of using it but thought it would be too flexible.

Chomp: much sympathy, I also sprained an ankle on the AT - just outside Delaware Water Gap. <sigh> It was just a tiny little road walk in sneakers... wore my boots EVERY time I had the pack on after that! I too was off the trail for a few days, got back on with tape and aspirin.

FWIW - I found that Coban was plenty stiff enough to secure my very weak ankle at the time. It formed what appeared to be a soft case around my foot. I forget exactly how I wrapped it at the time.

And a side note - don't believe the hype about boots stopping an ankle sprain. The one that I keep refering to - by far the worst that i have ever had - was incured while wearing a pair of heavy-duty Limmers.

After doing much research on the subject, I found that boots do give support for wobbly angle, however, the provide LESS stability while hiking. The logic is that, in general, boots are on a higher platform than are sneakers. If you do roll an ankle, the higher the platform is, the more severe the sprain will be. To get a visual, imagine rolling your ankle wearing a pair of platform shoes. Now try to invision rolling you ankle when you are barefoot. Its almost impossible to roll an ankle with a bare foot. Try it.

But I digress. Since that sprain, I have dumped the boots and hike entirely in trail runners. And that ankle has been as strong as ever since.

Ankle injuries

Sorry to hear about your bad ankle- I sustained a bad ankle injury when I rolled my left ankle while carrying a full pack. I kept reinjurying it. Finally, like trailbisbuit, I began a series of ankle exercises. My ankle will never be good as new, but I've managed not to injure it further. LOL

Dugan,

I use a combination of coban and duct tape with the dog booties.

First I wrap coban around each leg, a bit higher than the height of the bootie. Next I put the bootie on and fasten the velcro strap at the top. Then I use duct tape over the top of the bootie, making sure to keep the duct tape directly on top of the coban (not on the fur). The duct tape not only helps the booties stay on, but it keeps snow from accumulating inside the booties. When the hike is over, everything comes off easily, and Moxie still has all his fur :D

Oh happy dog :) :)

I've used duct tape on my ankles before. Not a recommendation, I'm just saying boy did it work good as far as sapport! It also works well with blisters. It comes off easier than you think do to the layer of sweat that builds up. It not ideal, but in a pinch...

Interesting note . . .

chomp said:
. . . And a side note - don't believe the hype about boots stopping an ankle sprain. The one that I keep refering to - by far the worst that i have ever had - was incured while wearing a pair of heavy-duty Limmers. . . ..
I've noticed that my Limmers do not seem to provide especially aggressive or stiff ankle support -- not like some boots I've worn. But then, my ankles are pretty tough and so it is not a real issue for me.

The remarks about the mechanics of "rolling" an ankle are interesting. One thing I'd note about stability is that (for me) how well my boots or shoes fit seems to be an important factor. The more "right" or "natural" the fit (snug enough for good support and keeping my foot well in place, but not too tight anywhere), the more stable my foot feels. Additionally, a lot of cushy padding in footwear soles or insoles seems to work against stability in my case.

Of course, I am a certified eccentric.

G.

ankle support

I sprained an ankle badly 19 years ago. Orthopedist told me to bicycle the Erie Canal towpath for exercise. I climbed the 46 instead. Most recent orthopedist (not for ankle) told me I made the right choice in working the joint. It still has some instability. Neoprene sleeve does some good, especially under Teva sandal. Best is the lace-up brace, which can be a bit bulky under the boot. I wear boots with one-piece all leather uppers, which take some breaking in but give better support than others. Coban sounds good, I'll have to give it a try.

I have a severe ankle sprain issue - turns on a leaf.

I talked and read TONS on this issue. The BEST advice I received was from the ultra runner's list.
Several trail runners claim the only thing that ever worked for them was proprioceptive exercises. Basically, when your ankle starts to roll your nerves send a singal to the brain, brain back to ankle, saying don't roll. For those of us with bad ankles, this communication network is gone (as well a ligament tears probably). These exercises are balance work and build that nerve connection back up.

Just stand on one leg with eyes shut and balance for as long as possible. This will build ankle strength as well as communication bewteen brain and ankle.
Also, two strips of athletic tape provide JUST enough support to catch before a turn.
I did this routine and have noticed significant results.
Thos CVS ankle wraps are crap in my opinon, I've tried them all.

Good Luck!

Coban perfect!

I tried Coban last night and this morning. It's a bit bulkier than tape (but less so than neoprene or a bandage), but with a lighter sock fits nicely into my best fitting hiking boots and running shoes. It was also nice because I could vary how tightly it was wrapped, snug on the forefoot but cranked down closer to the joint. Faster to apply, and the removal didn't hurt at all. Jogged for the first time since the injury this morning, hopefully I'll be running again soon.

Yup, I do some exercises specifically for proprioception too. I've gotten some weird comments when I do the one foot balance eyes closed thing at work while nuking lunch. For extra credit, attempt tip toe or knee bends.

The mechanics are interesting and make sense. I read recently that a contributing factor to knee injuries in alpine skiing is not only the boot but the lifter under the binding which makes a higher platform. It's good leverage for holding an edge, and that much more of a wrench if you roll off to the side. Grumpy: you're exactly right, extra padding underfoot makes balancing more difficult. Try doing balance exercises while standing on a sleeping pad.

Thanks for all the fast advice!

You bring up a great point about "things under your feet". Anything like this of course raises you center of gravity = bad.
Try to get low profile shoes, boots, sneakers, and even crampons (grivel G14)- which may not be a big issue with ankle sprains with high cut boots, but is nice in terms of balance and falling x thousand feet down a mountain.

I like to hike fast so i always used low cut, light trail shoes over boots. But since the ankle injury I've switched to lighter high cut boots and this has helped a lot.