ANNOYING TAKE-HOME CAMPING HABITS

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gris

Reaction score
Annoying Take-home Camping Habits

:D WHO HAS EM & WHAT ARE THEY? Thought of this after my wife accused me this a.m. of possessing "yet another annoying take-home camping habit!" (keeping an open packet of powdered milk handy for coffee creamer & a multitude of other uses...) Also drives her crazy that my weekend around the house uniform is zip-off pants (she thinks an open knee vent is, ahem, ghastly... :eek:

Last edited:
As of late, I have been carrying my gaiters in my travel bag in case of snow. All of my play clothes are hiking clothes. I own very little cotton that isn’t for dress-up. All my water bottles scattered throughout the house are Nalgene (I do need to buy stock in the company). Every kid on campus wears pristine North Face, so I take a little pride in wearing my weathered EMS. The other day I used my Superfly to make dinner when the power went out. I had to find a leak in my roof last month and was happy that I could use my headlamp, which freed up my hands to crawl through the attic rafters. I use my Therm-a-rest while doing pilates. I consider clothing with duck tape as a badge of honor. I have to remind myself to “ALWAYS” use the box of Kleenex by my desk. I no longer find body odor all that offensive. The list is endless.

I use an old sleeping bag as a bed quilt, filter my water (but not with my OR filter), schlep around a water bottle and experiment with trail recipes at home. Fortunately, my bride participates in all this.

I had a live in girlfriend in CO last year that I met in San Fran, she was always agast when i set up my tent in our apartment after a weekend in the mtns, I tried to explain the dibilatating affects of storeing a wet tent to no avail. oh and I wore my headlamp to bed sometimes, but thats another subject altogether.

I also tend to sleep in my sleeping bag in my room for a few nights after a stint outside.
My window is left open for much of winter.
Like MadRiver, the more I am out, the less I care about BO in general (my poor co-workers).
Used my headlamp for working on my car at night.
My beard - it's great insulation for winter hiking/camping, but my cube cronies call me Moses, Grizzly Adams, mountain man, monkey, and ask me when I'm going to "get that s**t off your face" :D

Does anyone here airate their lawn with crampons? ;)

Hygiene issues aside, I use an unzipped down sleeping bag as an extra blanket, have water bottles stored strategically by my bed, in the car, at work, next to my desk, and in the kitchen, occasionally wear the headlamp around the house after dark, sometimes use the Whisperlite to make dinner, definitely have dry milk, ground cinnamon, etc. separated in my travel containers, and don crampons and a climbing axe to reach the top shelf of the pantry. (Okay, I made that last one up.)

My dad used to tell the story of a woman he knew who had spent a multi-day trip on the Long Trail. Shortly after she returned to civilization, she was at a fancy dinner. After she had taken her last sip of coffee, she instinctively flung the the last little bit and grounds over her shoulder.

teejay

Nice thread actually....intoxicated guests have never complained about my thermarest guidelites.

And....I think I'll skip my shower before I go out tonight.

Now, if I can only find my headlamp..

Last edited:
At a party a few years back, the power went out while in progress of a large meal. Within minutes, the gas grill was going, two Whisperlites were fired up, the Coleman lanterns were going, and headlamps were passed around.

Didn't miss a beat.

I have to admit that I start my holiday shopping by flipping through the Campmor Catalog, even though the people I shop for neither hike nor camp.

My second stop is Descenza's Jewelers. For some reason, my wife appreciates gifts from there far more than convertible pants, Smartwools or a wicking tank top. :confused: :D

I've had a few clients make fun of my having my own FF brand of gorp/trail mix handy at the studio. I've also noticed how they can't resist gobbling it down.:D I also tend to carry water around in Nalgenes, too, probably saves me a dollar or 2 everyday I do it.

I'm also in the habit of wearing my boots and other gear when it rains or snows - seems bloody well logical to me, whether I'm in the city or the backcountry I still prefer to stay dry when it's cold and wet outside.

Mine best one is in reverse- a home habit that followed me on the trail!

The following story was told to me, as I was sound asleep. I must have forgotten that my husband was not sleeping next to me.... and, yeah, my tent-mate woke up in the middle of the night with me all cuddled up next to her, arm around her and everything... She wasn't very happy.

I eat left over gorp at work and leave maps/books/gear strewn all over the house.

I always use my headlight for everything, even getting the mail.

I do sleep in the sleeping bag if i get a chill, nothing to warm you up like a 0° bag inside a 50° house to get you warm.

I also routinely use the Dragonfly to cook inside, it helps to prepare different dishes I want to try in the woods. Same thing with the pots & pans.

I always use a Nalgene everywhere I go, and have one I keep in the car all the time. I've even put coffee in them on long trips, works great.

But, I leave my hiking clothes for hiking, I almost never wear them just around town, I have plenty of others for that.

I really dislike over heated buildings -- the air is too dry. I also used to get more colds and flues when I previously kept the house warmer in winter. So I now keep the thermostat set fairly low.

And so I dress in layers and wear knit caps around the house. I also always keep a few water bottles filled to keep the cold tap water a bit warmer.

My most annoying habit? She's talking about the new floor for the kitchen and I'm in the Dix Range.

When I get ready for a camping trip, virtually all of my equipment comes up from the basement and overtakes the living room while I sort through it. I don't use 75% of it on any one trip, but it all tends to stay there until several days after my return. Worse, when I prepare for a guided trip I not only over take the living room but also the family room and the kitchen as well with equipment and food packaging. It's hard, way too hard to take all that criticism.

My most annoying camping habit is . . . I don't bring my camping habits home with me. I am extremely fastidious and meticulous in camp, verging on the annoying, and a complete slob at home. No, I can't really explain it, and yes, it sure does (rightfully) annoy her.