Another Variation on Manufacturer Guarantees

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Rooney

Reaction score
This is a spin-off to BigEarl's question about Leki's guarantee. (Leki changing their product support???)

Here's another variation on guarantees from top-end manufacturers: Let's say you bought something, like a pack, trekking poles, tent, etc, and it was defective. You bring it back to the seller. The guarantee says the manufacturer will replace or repair the item - their option - and they (via the seller) decide is to repair the item. It will take 1-3 weeks to repair and return to you at the seller's place of business.

Is it reasonable to expect the seller to have a 'loaner' for your use during the repair?

Kevin Rooney said:
Is it reasonable to expect the seller to have a 'loaner' for your use during the repair?
No, it's not reasonable.

To expand a bit, it's one of hazards of owning gear. Unless you specify that you get a loaner (like with a car insurance policy) it's not standard.

Last edited:
Couldn't you use some older stuff you had around or borrow what you needed or just hang around and post about it until you got the replacement?

Kevin Rooney said:
I believe that no.
Like BigEarl mentioned, there is rental equipment at some outdoor retailers - tents, snowshoes, backpacks, sleeping bags, sleeping pads... all things that usually would go in for repair.
If any of it is unrented and a someone goes in for repair and needs that item for that weekend, I'm pretty sure most places would offer a free rental loaner, which IMO is reasonable to expect.

But to expect loaners would mean that retailers would not only have to order rental equipment, but have extra loaner equipment in their fleet for everyone that comes in with a repair - it's just not happening.

btw, a friend of mine did once take some trekking poles to the Lake Placid EMS to get repaired and they happened to have some trekking poles there to lend. YMMV